The Official 2010 Denver Cup Thread: DU, BC, UNO, SLU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official 2010 Denver Cup Thread: DU, BC, UNO, SLU

New format this year. Its a showcase instead of a tournament.

Obviously Jerry York was not pleased with flying halfway across the country to play Princeton in the Denver Cup championship game in 2005.

Re: The Official 2010 Denver Cup Thread: DU, BC, UNO, SLU

Really looking forward to the BC/DU game. Should be a fantastic matchup between two very, very good teams. I'd imagine there's a lot of respect between the two teams as well.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Thrilled that this game is on FS Rocky Mountain or some other BS DirecTV channel. Excited to see how BC stacks up against a top 10 team.

Comment

BC is #2 & DU #3 in Pairwise. Needless to say this game will have major NCAA seeding ramifications for both teams.

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/pwr/

Seems like DU and BC have been butting heads on the recruiting trail for the past few seasons, so likely both teams are very familiar with the players.

Obviously Denver fans are excited to have a team of BC's caliber making the trip out west, so Saturday night's game will be a marquee matchup.

Nebraska-Omaha will be joining the WCHA next season, so the DU-UNO game will be a good measuring stick for what the Maverick are in for. Considering UNO is #24 in the Pairwise, DU didn't do themselves any favors scheduling this matchup. Doubtless, UNO will play with a chip on their shoulder on Friday evening.

Comment

Patrick Wiercioch will be playing for DU as his tryout for the Team Canada WJC Team was short-circuited by the TC medical staff. Only potential player that could be missing from the DU line-up is Matt Donovan who is at the USA WJC Camp. Personally, I think Matt has a very good chance of making the USA Team. DU is off for two weeks so they should be able to get healthy and rested for the 2nd half.
          Last edited by du78; 12-16-2009, 12:17 PM.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
            Patrick Wiercioch will be playing for DU as his tryout for the Team Canada WJC Team was short-circuited by the TC medical staff. Only potential player that could be missing from the DU line-up is Matt Donovan who is at the USA WJC Camp. Personally, I think Matt has a very good chance of making the USA Team. DU is off for two weeks so they should be able to get healthy and rested for the 2nd half.
            I agree completely about Matt! I saw him regularly in the USHL and at Lake Placid earlier this summer and he will likely be with the WJC US club. BC might also be without Chris Krieder as he also has a solid chance of representing the USA at the WJC. Best to both!

The Wiercioch news is very disappointing as he is well thought of by Team Canada! Hope the knee strain in quick to heel.

The games in early January will be a blast to see and watch as these teams measure themselves against one another. East versus West, HE versus WCHA, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BCHF View Post
              The Wiercioch news is very disappointing as he is well thought of by Team Canada! Hope the knee strain in quick to heel.
              It was healed well enough that he played close to 30 minutes against UMD the night before he went to Regina. Seems to me Team Canada had a large amount of players in their camp and using the medical team to not clear him was an easy way to reduce the roster right away. The DU medical team and Team Canada medical team were in constant contact about Patrick's medical status before he went to Regina. Seems a bit odd to not clear him after all that was done to get him ready to go to Regina. Reports are that the TC medical staff's diagnosis was the same. DU's med staff cleared him to play and he did, TC's didn't.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

BC/DU should be a sweet matchup. Really wish I was in Denver to see this one in person.

Denver is one of my favorite teams out west, mostly because the DU fans that I know are classy peeps. Props to you bloggers that paid for the ice time back in 2008 at Magness. Fun rink to skate in, just wish I could see a game there and enjoy the experience.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  BC/DU should be a sweet matchup. Really wish I was in Denver to see this one in person.

Denver is one of my favorite teams out west, mostly because the DU fans that I know are classy peeps. Props to you bloggers that paid for the ice time back in 2008 at Magness. Fun rink to skate in, just wish I could see a game there and enjoy the experience.
                  It was our pleasure to host the USCHO posters' game at Magness in 2008. It was the least we could do in our own backyard.

And don't be surprised to see BC coming out to Magness again in future years beyond this year. BC is a program that certainly commands a lot of respect and gate appeal out here in Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    New format this year. Its a showcase instead of a tournament.

Obviously Jerry York was not pleased with flying halfway across the country to play Princeton in the Denver Cup championship game in 2005.
                    Why did they change the format?

Comment

any bc fans making the trip, make sure to checkout the dugout. its a short walk from the downtown arena and the owner is a big boston fan.
                      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

The tourney is in Magness Arena on the campus of DU, not downtown at the Pepsi Center where the NCAA Regionals and Frozen Four were held a few years ago. It is about a 15 to 20 minute car ride to downtown depending on the traffic or the light rail will take you from the campus to downtown.

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                          Why did they change the format?
                          Most likely for PWR reasons. As host, Gwoz likely wants to make sure DU gets to play the teams of his choosing and not leave the matchups to chance or to the reality of playing important games with missing key players on World Junior duty.

In fact, I would not be surprised to see further future changes to this tournament so that it's no longer played near Christmas/New Years. These NC games are too important to play with a depleted squad on only a day or two of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            BC is a program that certainly commands a lot of respect and gate appeal out here in Denver.
                            Definitely a lot of respect for the Denver team. I would love to see DU make a trip east in the future.

This could very well be a FF preview.

I was having an argument with myself, trying to find a reason to NOT make the trip out west. Bus could get me there cheap, but I ended up deciding that being home for New Years trumped a 40 hour bus ride
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              Definitely a lot of respect for the Denver team. I would love to see DU make a trip east in the future.

This could very well be a FF preview.

I was having an argument with myself, trying to find a reason to NOT make the trip out west. Bus could get me there cheap, but I ended up deciding that being home for New Years trumped a 40 hour bus ride
                              Check Southwest Airlines and Jet Blue - both fly straight to Denver from Logan, usually inexpensively.

Comment

Working...
                              X