12.15 announcement on Big Ten expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12.15 announcement on Big Ten expansion

Big Ten has news conference today on possibility of expansion.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sport...ring-expansion

3pm Central newser.

Of the schools mentioned in that story, only Notre Dame has hockey - and, personally, am convinced Notre Dame is not joining any time soon.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: 12.15 announcement on Big Ten expansion

Can anyone post the article instead of just the link? For some reason the filter here at work is being uber homosexual today.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

CHICAGO - The Big Ten says it plans to make an announcement regarding the possibility of expanding the 11-team conference.

Big Ten spokesman Scott Chipman said Monday that a 3 p.m. announcement regarding what he called "potential expansion" is planned. He declined to elaborate.

Wisconsin Athletic Director Barry Alvarez last week told the university's board that he thinks the conference is serious about adding a 12th team.

Conference Commissioner Jim Delany as recently as March called expansion a "back-burner" issue.

The Big Ten last added a team in 1990 when Penn State joined. The school had been an independent.

Among the schools some have mentioned for consideration: Notre Dame, Syracuse, Missouri, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Rutgers.
      ---

Comment

Thank you, GB Puck Fan.

Of those mentioned, if Notre Dame isn't interested, I think I'd put my money on Missouri.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Can anyone post the article instead of just the link? For some reason the filter here at work is being uber homosexual today.
          Not that there's anything wrong with that.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Thank you, GB Puck Fan.

Of those mentioned, if Notre Dame isn't interested, I think I'd put my money on Missouri.
            That's what I'm thinking... They have had recent football success, are always around in bouncy ball, and have a natural rival in the Illini...
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

What implications does this have for the possibility of a Big Ten Hockey Conference?

@#$% Calgary, Go Oilers Go

Your mom is so fat that the escape velocity at her surface exceeds 3*10^8 m/s

Originally posted by Jon
              I'd much rather be in WI.

Comment

Biggest thing Missouri brings to the table is the domed stadium in St. Louis to hold the Big Ten Championship game. Sure you could hold the game in Ford Field but what kind of an idiot would host their championship in that dump....er...never mind.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...t_the_201.html

Comment

Here's another take on the overall issue:
                  http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2...as#add-comment

I disagree with part of this article's premise that there's no way to divide the conference if you take an eastern school.

If you select Rutgers - which gets you into the NY market - I would move Northwestern to the eastern side of the slate, creating west division of: Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Purdue, and east of: Northwestern, Mich, Mich State, Ohio State, Penn State & Rutgers.

I say this because, to me, the Illinois/NW rivalry ranks lower on the list than Mich-Mich State, Mich-tOSU, Purdue-Indiana, Wisc-Minn and Minn-Iowa. Others will disagree, I'm sure.

I don't see Cincy or Pittsburgh adding much in terms of TV markets as both are in the conference's footprint. Rutgers would and Missouri would. Academics are another question, of course.

As for hockey, I don't want no stinkin' BTHC anyways so the fact none of these others (save ND, which isn't joining) don't have hockey is ok by me.
                  ---

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Biggest thing Missouri brings to the table is the domed stadium in St. Louis to hold the Big Ten Championship game. Sure you could hold the game in Ford Field but what kind of an idiot would host their championship in that dump....er...never mind.
                    Lambeau Field! A rematch of Wisconsin-Ohio State!
                    ---

Comment

With Missouri in the mix, I highly doubt that the list of championship game sites would be limited to St. Louis and Detroit.

We're midwesterners, we ought to be able to ball up and play a championship game outside. We've got NFL stadiums in Chicago, Green Bay, Cincy, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Even the pansy contingent (aka: people who insist on never playing in the cold) have Minneapolis and Indianapolis to thank for providing indoor climates.

I would greatly prefer to see Notre Dame in the mix, because it just makes too much sense. Between all of the other schools, I feel like Pittsburgh or Missouri have the most to offer. Unless the Big Televen creams their jeans over Rutgers' media market.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...t_the_201.html
                        I would go with the Metrodome...they need to stay away from any team potentially getting homefield advantage...
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                          CHICAGO - The Big Ten says it plans to make an announcement regarding the possibility of expanding the 11-team conference.

Big Ten spokesman Scott Chipman said Monday that a 3 p.m. announcement regarding what he called "potential expansion" is planned. He declined to elaborate.

Wisconsin Athletic Director Barry Alvarez last week told the university's board that he thinks the conference is serious about adding a 12th team.

Conference Commissioner Jim Delany as recently as March called expansion a "back-burner" issue.

The Big Ten last added a team in 1990 when Penn State joined. The school had been an independent.

Among the schools some have mentioned for consideration: Notre Dame, Syracuse, Missouri, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Rutgers.
                          Cincy? Really? I know people in the city and the state would love it but I don't see Ohio St. agreeing with that and lobbying hard against it. With their football program having a solid last two years they have stole a couple recruits away already. Put them in the Big Ten and get another solid coach it would poach more recruits away from them. It could add another potential solid rivalry in the conference though and would be interesting to see, especially with the basketball team getting back to being a ranked program.

Although they wouldn't add any additional TV revenue really, but if TV is the only reason to add a program I would vote against expansion.
                          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

I have a hard time believing that Missouri is better candidate than Nebraska. Nebraska brings more TV audience than Missouri even though the population is smaller.

But assuming for a second that the Big Ten takes Missouri or Nebraska, this is sure to set off another round of Conference Musical Chairs.

Who does the Big XII go after? Maybe Florida State, Miami, Houston or TCU or do they kick Baylor to the curb and split the money 10 ways?

If Nebraska leaves the Big XII, does the SEC try and swoop in and steal Texas & Oklahoma?

The Big Ten could have 12 teams & the Big XII 10 teams.
                            Last edited by dggoddard; 12-15-2009, 02:04 PM.

Comment

We also have to think about the trickle down effect. If missouri goes who takes their place in the big 12. Or if rutgers, cincy, pitt goes who replaces them in the big east. This will be very interesting indeed. Notre Dame won't go because they like playing all their rivals in football and being in a conf would hinder that.
                              GO DU!!!!

ROWDY IN THE FIRST ROW!!!

DU Hockey National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X