Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Providence - 2009-10 What is in the glass?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence - 2009-10 What is in the glass?

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    You rip me if I posted it was a nice job to beat BU and ME back to back.
    No one was ripping you for being happy with those wins. They were ripping you for other reasons.
    Something about being mired in last place for 2 consecutive years makes us a tad grumpy. Not sure why you have a hard time grasping this.

Then you think its ok for someone to say over and over again, "they want to brag about beating Bowling Green and Tying Northeastern".

The two wins and the tie haven't helped the team one iota - unless they move to the CCHA.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

You rip me if I posted it was a nice job to beat BU and ME back to back.
      But the whole point is that you didn't just say it was a nice job. You were the one proclaiming that the coach made great adjustments and the team was suddenly now packed with "great young talent." It's like you have a defense mechanism ready to go off and defend Army and the program whenever they win one regular season game. You did it when they beat Bowling Green and you did it again that weekend with Maine and BU. We joke that you want a ticker tape parade for a few regular season wins, but it truly does seem apparent you feel the need to seek validation from PC fans on this board when they win a couple of isolated regular season games.

At the end of the year, what matters is the record for the ENTIRE SEASON. Right now a few wins between now and the end aren't going to change the fact this season has been another disaster -- how can you think otherwise? It would take an extended winning streak of 4 games or more to even begin to turn the tide of a 4-13 Hockey East campaign.

Put it together with last year and you look like an absolute fool trying to convince fans we ought to be doing cartwheels about the state of this program.
      Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 02-02-2010, 09:48 AM.

Comment

The problem is context. You don't suddenly wake up one day and have confidence in meeting women if they don't even talk to you. You don't suddenly have an outpouring of confident at a job interview if you've been unemployed for 3 years. And you don't suddenly have confidence in your hockey team if they win 2 games and then go on a 5 game losing streak.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

If they beat Bowling Green, you post 75 times, "they want to brag when they beat Bowling Green"

When they beat BU and ME back to back, "they only beat BU and ME"
          It is all about context my friend. Two wins in the context of three misearable seasons preceded by two mediocre seasons is the context in which these longtime fans speak. The soon to be mark of 100 lossess in five years is pretty tough to take after sitting in the seats and supporting this team emotionally and financially, home and away, for nearly 30 years. It is all about context.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
            It is all about context my friend. Two wins in the context of three misearable seasons preceded by two mediocre seasons is the context in which these longtime fans speak. The soon to be mark of 100 lossess in five years is pretty tough to take after sitting in the seats and supporting this team emotionally and financially, home and away, for nearly 30 years. It is all about context.
            Clearly I would have to be a dope to not see that....

My only point is that everyone is now to the point of, No matter what they do, it will somehow be made out to be a negative. If they beat BG, well, BG sucks.

If they beat BU and ME, well now they suck also.

My point on the adjsutments was simple. They got smoked by BC big time. Shook then line up big time and won 2 very convincing conference games, back to back.

Instead of saying, who knows, it might be a start, it was mostly negative nad BU blows this year.

Well, BU has beaten BC back to back, saddled around a loss to PC and is 6-2 this year. I would dare say they are heading in the right direction.

If you want to talk about a coach who is blaming the players, look no firther then Jack Parker. Has drop kicked them under the bus this year as hard as he can.

Lets watch this weekend, enjoy the games and hope they win. Not wander into the rink like Eyoree with a rain cloud over our heads. starting to become the fans from Major League one.

Comment

enjoy the games
              This is the problem: whether the team plays hard or goes through the motions, the end result has been the same. They lose. I defy anyone to enjoy watching their favorite team lose 20 games every season and not get despondent.

-Blackadder
              -Casablanca
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Instead of saying, who knows, it might be a start, it was mostly negative nad BU blows this year.
                A "start" for this program, based on the last few seasons, is going to take a whole lot more than 2 wins. How about 4. 5. 6. Then a playoff appearance. And a competitive performance there, if not a win.

THAT is a "start" to turning things around based on the overall context of where PC hockey has gone as an institution. Not just winning a couple of games -- sandwiched around two entire months of losing, which you comically turn the other way at.

BTW, even now, BU has a losing record. You're aware of that too, right?

You called BU and Maine "very good programs" when PC beat them -- well neither is having a "very good" season this year. BU is under .500 even now, Maine is barely above it and neither is ranked in the Top 15, much less the Top 10.

If you want to talk about a coach who is blaming the players, look no firther then Jack Parker. Has drop kicked them under the bus this year as hard as he can.
                Big difference there -- Jack Parker has won...how many national titles? Hockey East titles?

Tim Army has won.........nothing.

Parker can do and say whatever he wants based on his career record. May not make it right necessarily -- but he has the right and can back it up based on his historical track record.

Not wander into the rink like Eyoree with a rain cloud over our heads. starting to become the fans from Major League one.
                And why should PC fans BE positive?

PC has 8 wins in their last 45 Hockey East games.

That's not a statistic that alarms you? Makes you think Tim Army isn't the right guy for the job?

Here's the deal -- for me, Tim Army's ship has set sail here. It's over. He's not turning it around. He had his chance -- and he hasn't gotten the job done. I realize the problems extend beyond him, sure, but this program has sunk under HIS watch, so he takes a good amount of the blame IMO. 5 seasons is more than enough time to develop a program and he's failed...miserably.

Short of PC moving up to the upper tier, getting home ice next season or winning a playoff SERIES, which is going to be unlikely no matter what, there's not much he can do in my mind to off-set his record and where the program has gone under his tenure. I don't forgive and forget like you do, clearly, because we've seen this all before under Pooley and it's happening again -- but it's even worse now. Much worse.

I obviously hope that PC hockey DOES turn itself around. That goes without saying. But in my opinion, it's never happening under this coach. And it may not happen until the school, as cav mentioned before, re-commits to the team itself. I support fully the kids who are out there, and frankly I feel bad for them that the overall situation is regressing right in front of our eyes.
                Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

My only point is that everyone is now to the point of, No matter what they do, it will somehow be made out to be a negative.
                  Lets watch this weekend, enjoy the games and hope they win. Not wander into the rink like Eyoree with a rain cloud over our heads. starting to become the fans from Major League one.
                  And our point, my friend, is that it is hard to "enjoy the games" where you have repeatedly been disappointed and believe your team has little to no chance of winning.

You are right, a number of fans here, and many more that I speak to in the stands, are tired of watching a nationally prominent program turn into a laughingstock. Long time supporters have just stopped coming to games. Maybe they were the smart ones.

You are right, I should go find something else. So after 30 years you have convinced me to cancel my season tickets and move on. I am wasting my money and time. I will no longer hope to see my team in the playoffs again, or at the Garden again, or at the Frozen Four once again. I will continue to go to the Frozen Four as a hockey fan and support everyone elses team, like celebrating BU's victory last year.

Congratulations. You win.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                    And our point, my friend, is that it is hard to "enjoy the games" where you have repeatedly been disappointed and believe your team has little to no chance of winning.

You are right, a number of fans here, and many more that I speak to in the stands, are tired of watching a nationally prominent program turn into a laughingstock. Long time supporters have just stopped coming to games. Maybe they were the smart ones.

You are right, I should go find something else. So after 30 years you have convinced me to cancel my season tickets and move on. I am wasting my money and time. I will no longer hope to see my team in the playoffs again, or at the Garden again, or at the Frozen Four once again. I will continue to go to the Frozen Four as a hockey fan and support everyone elses team, like celebrating BU's victory last year.

Congratulations. You win.
                    Are you donating the rose colored glasses to the school? The way this is going they'll probably end up in Sharoud Curry's glove compartment.

-Blackadder
                    -Casablanca
                    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                      Are you donating the rose colored glasses to the school? The way this is going they'll probably end up in Sharoud Curry's glove compartment.
                      No, a shattered pair of glasses would be too negative a contribution. I am all about being positive now.

Comment

Your points are well taken. Losing breeds losing and something has to happen. I was kind of surprised when I saw that PC has only missed the playoffs once, last year and now will probably miss it again. It will be interesting to watch this all play out over the next couple seasons.

I should listen to my own advice and words on occasion. I have always said, show me a good loser and I will show you a loser.....
                        Last edited by Hokydad; 02-02-2010, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I was kind of surprised when I saw that PC has only missed theplayoffs ones, last year and now will probably miss it again.
                          Obviously you don't follow this program very closely at all if you didn't know that.

Comment

Listen up, folks. What The Freds, Netman and Jon say is the absolute truth, in hockey and in life. If everyone could be like these guys, the world would be a better place.

I'm here to help.
                            Bob is making me concerned
                            I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                              But the whole point is that you didn't
                              At the end of the year, what matters is the record for the ENTIRE SEASON. Right now a few wins between now and the end aren't going to change the fact this season has been another disaster -- how can you think otherwise? It would take an extended winning streak of 4 games or more to even begin to turn the tide of a 4-13 Hockey East campaign.

Put it together with last year and you look like an absolute fool trying to convince fans we ought to be doing cartwheels about the state of this program.
                              but a contract extension should be in order

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad
                                I have followed it for years, just never paid that close attention to that side of it. Hockey east has not been around 35 or 40 years so that taints it a hair. I like everyone else would go to Hockey East playoffs eevry year, and to make sure the box was worth the buck, we always looked for ME/BC/BU/UNH to be the 4.
                                And if BC started a 15 year downward spiral and ended up barely making the playoffs and then lost 20 games a year, what would you say about that?

Or if BU started a 15 year downward spiral and ended up barely making ...

Or Maine, or UNH

It's all about context.

Comment

Working...
                                X