No announcement yet.

2009 Florida College Classic - Maine, Cornell, Colorado College, and Princeton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Florida College Classic - Maine, Cornell, Colorado College, and Princeton

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
    BIG WIN for the CC Tigers against a very good Cornell team! I am so proud of this CC Tiger team.

Pretty good crowd on hand, I believe in 6,300 range.

Go CC Tigers!!
    I was at the game and CC was clearly the best team of the four out there. If Maine doesn't improve their play tomorrow, CC will win easily. Allowing 3 PP goals on a 5 minute penalty let Princeton back into the game, but Princeton never gave up even when down 3 goals and also out shot Maine as well.

A very controversial forth goal for CC that gave them an insurmountable 2 goal lead. With about 7 minutes to go a blast by Shultz appeared to bounce out, perhaps off the crossbar, but there was no ping sound. The referee ruled it had gone in although the goal judge didn't initially put the red light on. The goal judge was summoned out of his seat to the penalty box area for a discussion with the officials and the goal stood. Much to the chagrin of the Cornell coach!

I don't know how they came up with 6315 for the attendance? It was probably about 2500 at most. There was a fairly substantial Maine and Cornell fan base and more people at the first game than the second.
    Last edited by neumyer; 12-29-2009, 10:54 PM.
    Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Re: 2009 Florida College Classic - Maine, Cornell, Colorado College, and Princeton

Originally posted by Rich View Post
      This is a different CC team than many of you may be accustomed to. In the past they've been led by small, skilled Hobey candidates on the top line with offensively minded defensemen behind them. Often their third and fourth lines didn't match up well against top teams, and their defense made big mistakes.
      This year's team has an extremely solid top 4 on defense, led by Kris Fredheim, Nate Prosser and Ryan Lowery. Gabe Guentzel is an offensive minded defenseman who gets a ton of minutes, and will make the occasional mistake. After the top 4, a few freshmen have been playing well - Doug Leaverton seems to have solidified as the #5 guy, with Joe Marciano and Mike Boivin as 6 & 7. Boivin is another guy with some offensive skills, but the rest seem content to play a simple defensive game.
      At forward the big differences this year are that they getting goals from every line and that every line is working hard. After seniors Mike Testwuide (12) and Bill Sweatt (9), the forward goal scoring is 2, 4, 6, 6, 2, 3, 1, 3, 2, 2. In the past, it appeared that the team was waiting for someone else to score or backcheck hard, but this year's team seems to have lots of jump all game from the top of the lineup to the bottom.

Here's a quote from an SCSU fan after last weekend's series. While I do think he shortchanges CC's talent a bit, this post isn't that far off. In the past (and this year with some other WCHA teams) there are 1-3 guys who have tremendous talent, and everyone else seems to be along for the ride. While CC may not have that gamebreaking talent, the entire roster is filled with guys who can make things happen. One example is Andrew Hamburg - he is a freshman who played in just 4 of the team's first 12 games, and in the fourth game he was on one of the top lines and had 1g 2a.
      Good summation of CC's success. I'd add that the Tigers are also helped by a very large and experienced senior class, who have been through the WCHA wars. That's a huge difference maker. I'd also add that CC has strong goaltending from its new freshman, Joe Howe, which has answered the biggest question mark going into this season for CC.

Comment

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
        No, sorry to miss lead you Dave. I was at home on the Northeast side of Colorado Springs with my fingers crossed and dreaming of a warm day that is months away (unless you count Las Vegas for the NASCAR race in late Feb).
        No worries. I didn't think you were there but I thought I would ask.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          This turned out like a Wally prediction
          It would be great to be right all the time but I would settle for just once in a while. Happy New Year!

Comment

Did anyone watch the game last night on B2? If so, how was the quality? Worth it or not?

Comment

Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
              Did anyone watch the game last night on B2? If so, how was the quality? Worth it or not?
              The quality was alright, but not the best. The picture is a bit fuzzy and it's difficult to read numbers or see the puck at times. Overall it's decent. A word of warning, B2 used CC's radio feed and they tend to be biased.
              Colorado College Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                It would be great to be right all the time but I would settle for just once in a while. Happy New Year!
                I feel the same way Hopefully the score is 4-0 Maine tonight
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  I feel the same way Hopefully the score is 4-0 Maine tonight
                  I am hoping it is the other way around tonight.

Comment

B2 feed wasn't great but it was better than listening to it on the radio. CC looked fast last night and seemed to wear down Cornell. Forced them to take some penalties and CC was able to convert. Also liked the Tigers penalty kill. Held Cornell to 1 goal in 8 chances I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                      I am hoping it is the other way around tonight.
                      Maine is better than they showed last night but Fla seems to bring out the worst in Maine lately so I doubt 4-0 is very good prediction. One thing has to happen for Maine to win, discipline
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Princeton defeats Cornell in the consolation game 3-2

Comment

Maine wins tonight. I can feel it. The D is going to step up and Darling is going to stand on his head. Me 4 CC 3. Long term prediction, this win (if they do win) gets them into the show in April.

Comment

Maine up 1-0 after 1st period.

Comment

There is a score updates section, MEHockeyGo Blue. While it doesn't apply here, there are often people who DVR games but still visit this site, so posting scores on this forum should be avoided.

Here's the Maine/CC score updates thread:

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=87437

Comment

Hey Rich CC lost. 3 - 2 now you can clear your DVR

Comment

Working...
                                X