Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010: Calmly Step Away from the Ledge

Originally posted by ex_goldy View Post
    He's got one more year after this one on his contract. Maybe he'd accept a front office job like Woog did, sorry to have to say that after his run here, but something has to change.
    How much does Lucia make a year though?

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
      Any where from $500,000 to $800,000. The highest paid coach in all the land.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
        In 05 he signed an extension through 2011-2012 and his base went up to $250K but he can make double his salary on bonuses, hockey camps, and promotional stuff he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
          People keep focusing on Lucia's statements to the press about this team. I think maybe too much is made of that. The players don't get their info on what their coach thinks of them by reading the press. They get it from the coaches mouth in the hours they are with him, versus the 2 minute interview after a game. I am sure it is not uncommon for a coach to rip into a team after a sub-par performance, but tell the press that they just didn't get the bounces. While things have improved since the first half, this team is still not playing with the confidence they need to play up to their abilities. (Anyone who has played knows how confidence can affect even your ability to hit the net. There is a subtle difference between the feeling of needing to just fire the puck when the chance is there, when you are afraid of something bad happening if you hold it, versus taking the extra half second to find a spot, or at least make sure you are on net.) Maybe Lucia is trying give the message he feels he needs to in press interviews to shelter them from too much criticism in order to shield their confidence. I really doubt he goes to every player and says "its ok if you don't put more goals in, because I don't expect many goals". Same with Hill's statements about "encouraging players". Who cares what they say in an interview? It doesn't necessarily represent what actually happens in practice.
          I do see your point Koho but here's my take on it. The press is a marketplace of public opinion. As you know, a coach's remarks to the press are normally carefully chosen because of the ramifications of positive or negative public perception. Therefore, players repeatedly reading their coaches attitude and overall assessment of the team carries a significant amount of persuasive authority. The probability of a player internalizing that assessment over time is quite high.

Repeatedly pronouncing a static, negative stereotype of the teams lack of scoring does nothing to inspire the players to reach their potential. In so doing, a coach takes a tremendous risk of negativity affecting a player and a team's morale and self efficacy. Regardless of what happens in practice, a coaches' summary communication and perception of a team's potential can be the greatest contributor or deterrent to a team's success.
          Last edited by HarleyMC; 01-28-2010, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
            Repeatedly pronouncing a static, negative stereotype of the teams lack of scoring does nothing to inspire the players to reach their potential. In so doing, a coach takes a tremendous risk of negativity affecting a player and a team's morale and self efficacy. Regardless of what happens in practice, a coaches' summary communication and perception of a team's potential can be the greatest contributor or deterrent to a team's success.
            I had the same thoughts as Koho and imho you're really stretching for a credible argument.
            Last edited by Slap Shot; 01-28-2010, 05:46 AM.

Comment

If the team struggles more offensively because of truthful comments made to the press about their inability to finish their chances, then MN's players are total pansies.

Two years ago, the team was another low-wattage offense, but in the second half, they embraced strong defense and goaltending as their identity and rode it as far as they could. Perhaps this year's version could learn a lesson from that - it shouldn't be that difficult given the fact there's a fair number of the same players still on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                I had the same thoughts as Koho and imho you're really stretching for a credible argument.
                C'mon Slap, we're on a rotation here...this week it's Lucia, NEXT week it's the players..and so on and so forth....

FWIW here's another fan's similar observation:

LUCIA NOT POSITIVE ENOUGH

Here's a recent e-mail from a Gophers fan:

I am sick of hearing the Don say his team is not good enough to score goals or win games 5-4 or 6-5. If you were a 18-22 yr old kid you would start to believe him....

Under Woog you could expect 2-3 players a year to show significant improvement year after year....

Bottom line is a coach has to build up his players not tell them they are not good enough. Coaching is about getting the best out of your players. With all of the NHL draftees his approach is unacceptable.

Tell me that all of the scouts, GM's and coaches were wrong when these players were drafted. Which senior on this team has excelled and is ready for the NHL? -- DW
                Roman echoes a bit what you and Koho are saying:

I find it odd myself that coach Lucia keeps saying this team does not have the skill of past teams. He seems to be trying to get them to play a gritty style and, at least against Harvard, the Gophers seemed to be going to the net more and scoring that way.

While it's one thing to collectively talk about a lack of skills, I would hope that when Lucia deals with players individually, he is doing everything he can to boost their confidence. It was a shock when the team got off to a rough start.

Comment

Originally posted by ex_goldy View Post
                  In 05 he signed an extension through 2011-2012 and his base went up to $250K but he can make double his salary on bonuses, hockey camps, and promotional stuff he does.
                  Do you suppose he has been earning bonuses the last couple years? Stranger things could happen but it would seem unlikely that his recent performance would be rewarded too highly with variable pay.

Comment

They key to Lucia's whole season this year was the seniors. How the seniors did was going to determine how the season went.

Well?

I think that's all we need to know.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Under Woog players improved year to year?

JFR, Coach Doug Woog rarely attended practice he left all the coaching for his assistants. I love coach Woog but lets not kid ourselves into believing he helped their improvement year to year.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                        Under Woog players improved year to year?

JFR, Coach Doug Woog rarely attended practice he left all the coaching for his assistants. I love coach Woog but lets not kid ourselves into believing he helped their improvement year to year.
                        I think that's probably the case in most schools. Chief tells the Indians what he wants and they execute. I'm pretty sure I have heard that Lucia has spent more time on the ice in practice this year.

I'm not sure why Woog is relevant to this discussion. He was let go for a combination of reasons including what Lucia is going through now. What Lucia doesn't have is the MacAlpine incident and 0 national championships.

Apples and Oranges.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          I think that's probably the case in most schools. Chief tells the Indians what he wants and they execute. I'm pretty sure I have heard that Lucia has spent more time on the ice in practice this year.
                          I would hope he has been. Not only because it has been apparent from day one that much progress has been needed, but because the idea of a guy who has no prior coaching experience and John Hill being the only two on the ice is pretty grim.

Comment

It was the perfect illustration of will and drive winning out over what was probably a better team and certainly a more careless one.
                            Does anyone recognize the game this quote is from?

It's actually an SI article on the Vikes losing to the Saints, but when I read this line, I felt like I could have been reading an article about half the Gopher losses this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                              Does anyone recognize the game this quote is from?

It's actually an SI article on the Vikes losing to the Saints, but when I read this line, I felt like I could have been reading an article about half the Gopher losses this year.
                              Probably the better team? NO! They were the better team, just more careless.

Comment

Good win for the Gophers last night. A departure from the rigidity of their typical offensive plays to a more freewheeling style on offense was very effective. Seven goals is a game high for the season. There were a couple defensive lapses on man coverage that led to UAA scores. UAA has been strong on Sat. nights, so the Gophers need to come out with some early intensity and score with better defensive coverage than last night.

Big game for several players:

1. David Fischer - Fish gets his first goal of the season off a fluke play
                                2. Jordan Schroeder - 2 goals (Played great! Turned on his blinding speed and scored a tying goal with .2 seconds left in the first which was a huge confidence booster)
                                3. Jacob Cepis - 3 assists (As usual Papa was in everybody's face)
                                4. Zach Budish - 1 goal, 3 assists (Big game for Boody)
                                5. Mike Carman - 2 goals (Nice to see him break out of a scoring slump)

Comment

Working...
                                X