Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010: Calmly Step Away from the Ledge

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    They still wouldn't be able to win the Class AA title.
    Oh please, please, pretty please can we waste some more time having the A/AA discussion? We'd all love nothing more!

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
      Oh please, please, pretty please can we waste some more time having the A/AA discussion? We'd all love nothing more!
      Sure, see Johnny Pohl set a high school scoring record, but many discounted it because he played for a Class A school in Red Wing. Somehow he did OK in college though (but he did work really hard to improve his skating to do so).

Comment

Well Ladies and Gentlemen…. This is the weekend the Gophers can make a HUGE jump in the WCHA standings. Gophers Sweep SCSU and Sconi gets drilled at home by DU and the Gophers take the tie for 4th in the Conference and all of a sudden the ABSOLUTLY ****TY first half of the year doesn’t look SOOO Bad (Still absolutely inexcusable in my opinion)…. Here is to a GOOD weekend for the Gophers and I wish them the best, I hope they can play like last weekend and do it.
        - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
        Go you Green and White
        Go Bemidji Beavers
        Fight with all your might!
        Rah! Rah! Rah!
        We are here to cheer you
        We are out to win your fame,
        So, Go Bemidji Beavers
        Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

And hopes that Budish, Birkholz, and Larson can pick it up a notch without Hoeffel on the ice. I've been really impressed with Birkholz effort, what an opening goal on Saturday! We'll see how they come off of the high of last weekend.

Oh and as far as Breck goes, it's an uber private high $ school. They may have recruited him to play there. They're in the high school hockey tourney consistently, state A champs last year. DU has been excellent at recruiting.
          Last edited by ex_goldy; 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ex_goldy View Post
            And hopes that Budish, Birkholz, and Larson can pick it up a notch without Hoeffel on the ice. I've been really impressed with Birkholz effort, what an opening goal on Saturday! We'll see how they come off of the high of last weekend.
            Agreed
            - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
            Go you Green and White
            Go Bemidji Beavers
            Fight with all your might!
            Rah! Rah! Rah!
            We are here to cheer you
            We are out to win your fame,
            So, Go Bemidji Beavers
            Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
              But in terms of comparison to broader top HS talent (i.e. Bjugstad, Alt, Gardiner/all Gopher recruits ), he's currently not listed on the NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings. However, keep in mind the Gophers have truckload of NHL draft choices and we can't do squat.
              Thanks for all of the input everyone.

Regarding the CSB rankings, I don't put much stock in them for college players. They place such a high premium on size, which we have all seen doesn't mean much in terms of college production. I always prefer to see CC bring in guys like Marty Sertich who are not ranked highly by NHL scouts, but have the skill to make significant contributions at lower levels. I do not mean to imply in any way that Morin is another Sertich, but the fact that he isn't getting much love from the CSB isn't a factor for me. T.J. Tynan is having a spectacular year in the USHL, but isn't on the CSB list either. I bet he'll be an excellent college player also.

Comment

The Gophers continue to insist on trying to create a 6 hole. They had a lot of shots and scoring opportunities, but AGAIN the shot accuracy was horrendous. How many more seasons will it take for players on this team to learn how to place shots on net in high percentage scoring areas (see 5 hole philosophy) and NOT over the net, side of the net, in the goalies stomach, pads, stick, etc.? It's simply exasperating to see this problem consistently demonstrated for two seasons.

The defense was ridiculously lazy and stupid tonight. Wehrs decides to take the puck the length of the ice and take a low percentage shot from the perimeter instead of passing to three other open guys breaking with him. Fairchild insists on taking one shot after another off target into traffic. Ness has no shot at all. Fischer needs to at least look like he's trying to defend.

I think this team needs to scale down their offensive systems and let more players play on instinct. Forget the excessive cycling crap. Every team knows how to guard against this archaic form now.

In any case, the Gophers are bound for 7th place and on the road for the playoffs. An NCAA bid looks very unlikely. This team needs an overhaul, top to bottom if it expects to compete at a championship level.
                Last edited by HarleyMC; 01-22-2010, 11:16 PM.

Comment

In any case, the Gophers are bound for 7th place and on the road for the playoffs. An NCAA bid looks very unlikely. This team needs an overhaul, top to bottom if it expects to compete at a championship level.
                  Agree on all 3 counts.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Hey, if the gophers play like they did in the second period last night, they'll reach mediocrity in no time.
                    Bob is making me concerned
                    I am the voice of reason

Comment

It's too bad they got themselves into the position where they now have to get at least 3 pts or sweep every series to make any ground up.

Happy Hockey Day Minnesota to all.
                      Originally posted by CavalryNate
                      Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hey! My old high school is looking for a new hockey coach, I heard you have one for sale?

Comment

Apparently a team of NHL draft picks = Big Suck.
                          I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                            Apparently a team of NHL draft picks = Big Suck.
                            Six ego's on the ice at once=loss

Comment

M=Mediocrity
                              I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                                M=Mediocrity
                                U of M

Comment

Working...
                                X