Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interconference Records Table updated

http://www.uscho.com/stats/inter-confd3.php

Thanks to the Amazing Eddie T., all the D-III conferences are now listed for your woofing pleasure.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Interconference Records Table updated

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    http://www.uscho.com/stats/inter-confd3.php

Thanks to the Amazing Eddie T., all the D-III conferences are now listed for your woofing pleasure.
    The fact that he is counting interleague games in the overall non-conf totals is somewhat misleading, because ECAC E and NESCAC schools are going to have a large number of these games, and these games are not really non-conf games.

I know it would be a real pain to try exclude these games but it does skew the results.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      The fact that he is counting interleague games in the overall non-conf totals is somewhat misleading, because ECAC E and NESCAC schools are going to have a large number of these games, and these games are not really non-conf games.

I know it would be a real pain to try exclude these games but it does skew the results.
      I don't think I agree with you.

Just because those games count for points within their own conferences, doesn't mean they are not interleague games. It's not like the conferences are combined for playoff purposes (like the NHL after the first place teams get in). Other than the points, everything is separate. Ergo, they are games between teams from different conferences.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        I don't think I agree with you.

Just because those games count for points within their own conferences, doesn't mean they are not interleague games. It's not like the conferences are combined for playoff purposes (like the NHL after the first place teams get in). Other than the points, everything is separate. Ergo, they are games between teams from different conferences.
        I understand your point, but it places a much heavier weight in the overall NC record for the teams on both sides of the interlock. Since (so far) the NESCAC has had the upper hand vs. the East, it makes the NESCAC look really good and the East look really bad. When (as often happens) things even out between the two, both leagues will look mediocre regardless of how well they do against the SUNYAC, West, East, and MASCAC. It's the weight that that pairing creates, not so much the principle.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          I understand your point, but it places a much heavier weight in the overall NC record for the teams on both sides of the interlock. Since (so far) the NESCAC has had the upper hand vs. the East, it makes the NESCAC look really good and the East look really bad. When (as often happens) things even out between the two, both leagues will look mediocre regardless of how well they do against the SUNYAC, West, East, and MASCAC. It's the weight that that pairing creates, not so much the principle.
          True, but how many games do they end up playing in that interlock? (I could figure that out, but a) I'm too lazy, and b) we need to make sure retired professors still feel they have a value in our society...)

The NCHA and MIAC play a lot of interleague games and have a formal interlock schedule even if the games don't count for points. SUNYAC and ECAC West may not have anything formal, but tradition and geographic proximity results in a large number of interleague games between those two conferences.

However, your general point does bring out a key issue to the whole better conference debate -- unless there is an even amount of games between all the teams of every conference (i.e., you can't have say a Plattsburgh play Lebanon Valley five times and declare the SUNYAC rules over the ECAC West), using this data for the debate is meaningless.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

(i.e., you can't have say a Plattsburgh play Lebanon Valley five times and declare the SUNYAC rules over the ECAC West)
            Russell,

I know you have to stretch sometimes to find a SUNYAC team that can routinely beat an ECAC West team, but did you really have to go that far to come up with a scenario for the SUNYAC to rule over the ECAC West?

Just kidding, of course
            Scott Biggar
            WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
            Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

True, but how many games do they end up playing in that interlock? (I could figure that out, but a) I'm too lazy, and b) we need to make sure retired professors still feel they have a value in our society...)

The NCHA and MIAC play a lot of interleague games and have a formal interlock schedule even if the games don't count for points. SUNYAC and ECAC West may not have anything formal, but tradition and geographic proximity results in a large number of interleague games between those two conferences.

However, your general point does bring out a key issue to the whole better conference debate -- unless there is an even amount of games between all the teams of every conference (i.e., you can't have say a Plattsburgh play Lebanon Valley five times and declare the SUNYAC rules over the ECAC West), using this data for the debate is meaningless.
              There is a total of 100 games played between these two leagues (each of 10 ECAC E teams plays games against each of the 10 NESCAC teams) that's a lot more than most interlocking schedules.

Comment

Thought it was interesting to see that the SUNYAC, NESCAC, and MASCAC are the only teams without a losing record to any other conference.

NCHA and ECAC-W, the two strongest conferences last year, are not included in that... yet
                Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
                08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
                2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
                  Thought it was interesting to see that the SUNYAC, NESCAC, and MASCAC are the only teams without a losing record to any other conference.
                  Thus far, the NESCAC is looking good this year. Their non-conference record is inflated by the drubbing of the ECAC East but lets not forget the ECAC East is 7-6-1 outside of the interlock.

Perennial power Middlebury combined with Amherst, seeming resurgent Bowdoin and Williams and teams like Hamilton, Trinity and Tufts biting at their heels makes for quite a dangerous league and one to be mentioned at least this year in the conversation of toughest league.

I know the sample size so far is small and it's still early but can't a guy dream?
                  Go Polar Bears Plaaaay Hockey!

Comment

I didn't know that teams from the SUNYAC played a majority of its NC schedule against teams from the ECAC West?
                    Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                    1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                    21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                      I didn't know that teams from the SUNYAC played a majority of its NC schedule against teams from the ECAC West?
                      I'm confused by this comment?

They do play a majority of their NC games against the ECAC-W...
                      Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                      2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                        I'm confused by this comment?

They do play a majority of their NC games against the ECAC-W...
                        Yah man, I know they play of majority of their NC games vs ECAC West opponents..I was just shocked that the numbers were that high. I didn't know they had 19 out of their 27 NC games against them. I could see where you where you got confused, sorry about that.
                        Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                        1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                        21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                          Why would that surprise you? When you consider travel costs alone, it makes perfect sense that the SUNYAC tends to play mostly the ECAC West teams for their NC schedule.

Comment

Working...
                          X