Miami vs Ohio State -- Battle for Ohio Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami vs Ohio State -- Battle for Ohio Cup

First of the 4 games coming midway through the season for these two clubs. Miami coming off a manhandling of Notre Dame, Bucks with a home split against Michigan. Friday is at Value City, Saturday is in Oxford. Miami is averaging 2.9 goals/game and giving up 1.7 (2.5 for and 1.1 against in conference). Ohio State is burying 2.4/game and giving up 2.9 (2.8 for and 3.25 against in conference).

Miami has converted on 16 of 95 powerplays, 16.8%, and have only allowed 12 goals on 106 times shorthanded, 88.7%, including scoring 4 shorthanded goals themselves.

Ohio State has been successful on 9 of 89 powerplays, 10.1%, and have given up 26 of 97 shorthanded, 73.2%.

Miami still rotating goalies, with Reichard having a very impressive 9-1-2 record, 1.45 GAA, .934 Sv %, and 2 shutouts. Knapp has had fewer opportunities this season, but still brings a 2-1-3 record, 2.2 GAA, .911 Sv %, 2 shutouts, and of his 15 goals against has only given up 5 that were 5x5, so we have a few times of hanging him out to dry.

Buckeyes were rotating until this past weekend, so not sure what to expect in net. Heeter has been the better of the two with a 6-3-1 record, 2.75 GAA, .914 Sv%, and 1 shutout. Carlson has similar numbers, but a much worse record at 1-7-0, 2.93 GAA, and a .908 Sv %.

Miami has 7 players with 10 or more points (Miele 5-11--16, Camper 8-7--15, Palmer 5-9--14, Wingels 6-7--13, McKenzie 4-8--12, Cannone 4-6--10, Schilling 1-9--10).

Ohio State has 4 players with 10 points (Dalpe 9-9--18, Boyd 5-11--16, Somma 6-7--13, Albert 4-8--12).

Miami's senior class is 9-2-3 against Ohio State.

And yes, I realize that BG is also involved in the Ohio Cup, but they are still a few years removed from competing for it again.

Re: Miami vs Ohio State -- Battle for Ohio Cup

This is a very important series for both teams but imo much more for the buckeyes. They need at worst a split and if they could pull out a tie great. Miami has owned the bucks lately and its been pretty easy most of the time. Ohio state has to be more disciplined and stay out of the box, the real stupid penalty by Toy on saturday night cost them a tie and who knows maybe they could have won the game in OT or a SO for the extra point.

Well the PP sucks really bad i dont see it changing much this far in the season. The problems i see are 1. they dont get set up much because of lack of puck control 2. When they get set up they dont move the puck and get the defense moving and out of place. 3. No one in front of the net for screens. Untill something changes with this the PP will continue to suck.

As for the goalie i said before the season Heeter would be the no.1 by seasons end but it was not because Dusty wouldnt do the job i thought he would. Heeter to me moves better controls rebounds better and again its not Dusty doesnt do those things imo cal does them better.

I am hoping last friday night was a turing point for the team as far as Friday nights go and they can get a win at home this week setting up a great game in oxford saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
      This is a very important series for both teams but imo much more for the buckeyes. They need at worst a split and if they could pull out a tie great. Miami has owned the bucks lately and its been pretty easy most of the time. Ohio state has to be more disciplined and stay out of the box, the real stupid penalty by Toy on saturday night cost them a tie and who knows maybe they could have won the game in OT or a SO for the extra point.

Well the PP sucks really bad i dont see it changing much this far in the season. The problems i see are 1. they dont get set up much because of lack of puck control 2. When they get set up they dont move the puck and get the defense moving and out of place. 3. No one in front of the net for screens. Untill something changes with this the PP will continue to suck.

As for the goalie i said before the season Heeter would be the no.1 by seasons end but it was not because Dusty wouldnt do the job i thought he would. Heeter to me moves better controls rebounds better and again its not Dusty doesnt do those things imo cal does them better.

I am hoping last friday night was a turing point for the team as far as Friday nights go and they can get a win at home this week setting up a great game in oxford saturday night.
      Well Miami hasn't been very disciplined themselves, but shutting out notre dame to 0-15 on the PP is impressive so if you can kill them off its better. But law of averages are bound to catch up with you sooner or later.

Miami is playing much better after their 4 game swoon against Ferris and Western. But the Ferris series had a lot more to do with Ferris than Miami playing bad, as you OSU fans saw Ferris is a darn good hockey club.

I was impressed with Carlson against UND, but for me if Miami plays the type of game they did against ND on saturday it won't matter who is in net. Miami needs to dictate the pace early and build off of it. With this team the 1st goal doesn't mean much but if Miami jumps out early it could be doom for OSU. Reichard has been very good this year and he will go friday night. Dalpe is a very impressive player but I think OSU might be finding their stride.

With all that said, I would anticipate a Miami sweep but wouldn't be surprised if OSU earned a split. One thing I can say for sure is these two games will be very very intense and physical. We could see 50 PIM's in each game, these two teams really don't like each other lol.
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
        Well Miami hasn't been very disciplined themselves, but shutting out notre dame to 0-15 on the PP is impressive so if you can kill them off its better. But law of averages are bound to catch up with you sooner or later.

Miami is playing much better after their 4 game swoon against Ferris and Western. But the Ferris series had a lot more to do with Ferris than Miami playing bad, as you OSU fans saw Ferris is a darn good hockey club.

I was impressed with Carlson against UND, but for me if Miami plays the type of game they did against ND on saturday it won't matter who is in net. Miami needs to dictate the pace early and build off of it. With this team the 1st goal doesn't mean much but if Miami jumps out early it could be doom for OSU. Reichard has been very good this year and he will go friday night. Dalpe is a very impressive player but I think OSU might be finding their stride.

With all that said, I would anticipate a Miami sweep but wouldn't be surprised if OSU earned a split. One thing I can say for sure is these two games will be very very intense and physical. We could see 50 PIM's in each game, these two teams really don't like each other lol.
        **** you, RHM!!! Why do you always have to say what I was gonna say?! I was impressed with Carlson against NoDak. I realize that he gave up 4 (i think), but it could easily have been about 7. I haven't seen OSU's other goalie, but at least Carlson for sure has very good potential. We've gone over and over and over Miami's struggles on the PP, but with OSU's struggles on the PK, we might have a shot at pp goal or two. Who knows...with these two teams we might actually see the entire game being played either shorthanded or 4x4.

BTW how does a shorthanded goal contribute/not to PK stats?
        Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Honestly, can't we just bomb the center of Ohio and make it another Great Lake there?? Nobody would really miss it!!
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
            Honestly, can't we just bomb the center of Ohio and make it another Great Lake there?? Nobody would really miss it!!
            That would just give them a bigger lake to jump in during Michigan week
            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
              **** you, RHM!!! Why do you always have to say what I was gonna say?! I was impressed with Carlson against NoDak. I realize that he gave up 4 (i think), but it could easily have been about 7. I haven't seen OSU's other goalie, but at least Carlson for sure has very good potential. We've gone over and over and over Miami's struggles on the PP, but with OSU's struggles on the PK, we might have a shot at pp goal or two. Who knows...with these two teams we might actually see the entire game being played either shorthanded or 4x4.

BTW how does a shorthanded goal contribute/not to PK stats?
              Great minds think alike!!

Only way a SHG contributes is to the SHG statistic. PK percentages are based solely on whether you kill it off or not. There are no + - given for the PK team either.

Comment

Great minds think alike!!

There are no + - given for the PK team either.
                Unless they do score a SHG, then the appropriate + is given to the scoring team, and - to the Powerplay team. If you score on a PP, or give up a goal on your PK, then the +- doesn't apply, but if you're a man down it does.

Comment

with the way OSU seems to "take games off" during a series the Ohio Cup may be between Miami and Bowling Green.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                    with the way OSU seems to "take games off" during a series the Ohio Cup may be between Miami and Bowling Green.
                    I dunno. Even given the recent Miami advantage these games are always close seemingly. Very hard hitting, you can easily see the hatred they have for each other. In the last game in Columbus between the two teams (when Mercier got his 100th point, and we shipped the Bucks off to Alaska ), the Buckeyes made a late rally after being down 4-1.

Camper has 98 points in his just over 2 seasons now, I think we can induct him in to the century club this weekend too.

Comment

Apparently...

Miami Sophomore goalie, Connor Knapp, is the brother of Ohio State womens Freshmen goalie, Chelsea Knapp.

Too bad Miami doesn't have a womens team, that'd make for an interesting double header this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                        Apparently...

Miami Sophomore goalie, Connor Knapp, is the brother of Ohio State womens Freshmen goalie, Chelsea Knapp.

Too bad Miami doesn't have a womens team, that'd make for an interesting double header this weekend.
                        Well if the womens team is at home this weekend then it would be a nice family reuinion. But apparently the east coast family has taken a liking to the state of Ohio lol.

Comment

Miami pre-game gathering at Varsity Club on Lane Avenue. Free pizza to those that ordered their Friday tickets through the Miami Alumni Association. I've heard over 300 purchased tickets. And, my understanding is the Blue Line Club also has a bus or two coming. So, we should be well represented. Should be in line with our typical Schott crowds of over 500.

Leaving the office tomorrow at 5 to head to the VC, then to the game just before faceoff!
                          http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Well if the womens team is at home this weekend then it would be a nice family reuinion. But apparently the east coast family has taken a liking to the state of Ohio lol.
                            Looks like the womens team is at SCSU, otherwise that would have been a good weekend of hockey for the family in Columbus, watch Cody on Friday and Chelsea on Saturday at the old rink.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                              Looks like the womens team is at SCSU, otherwise that would have been a good weekend of hockey for the family in Columbus, watch Cody on Friday and Chelsea on Saturday at the old rink.
                              well she is only 5'9 which I guess for a woman is kind of tall but no where near Connor's 6'5 lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X