• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHA Autobid Rejected in Sept. NCAA Meeting

I came across this today, it was proposed by the committee:
    http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/DI_Ch...upp_15_WIH.pdf

Recommendation
    . The women’s ice hockey committee expresses its support of an automatic qualification (AQ) waiver for College Hockey America (CHA) despite the fact that the CHA does not meet the criteria outlined in Bylaw 31.3.4.2, and would like to request feedback from the cabinet regarding this precedent-setting proposal. It should be noted that the CHA has never had six members and would not qualify for the grace period exception outlined in Bylaw 31.3.4.4.3. If approved, this request would be effective for the 2011 championship.
    b. Rationale
    . The CHA currently has five teams, one below the threshold for granting an AQ into the tournament. The committee feels the granting of an AQ to the CHA will support the sustainability of the CHA and help maintain the health of collegiate women’s ice hockey.
    But I didn't see any follow-up on this in the subsequent report.

Re: CHA Autobid in 2011?

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
    I came across this today, it was proposed by the committee:
    http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/DI_Ch...upp_15_WIH.pdf

But I didn't see any follow-up on this in the subsequent report.
    Thanks for the interesting links.
    If you go way down to 18. Reports of Sports and Sports Issues Committees
    j. Women's Ice Hockey Committee
    It says that the committe has discussed it and decided to not make any exceptions to the rules already in place.

Comment

Ah yes, thanks, I see it now, thanks.

Per the request of the Women’s Ice Hockey Committee, the cabinet discussed a possible waiver of the automatic qualification standards for College Hockey America. The cabinet confirmed its belief that waivers should not be granted for conferences that never met the standards (versus a conference that once met the standards but subsequently fell below). The cabinet did express sympathy for conferences in sports that are struggling to remain viable and agreed to provide feedback to the Leadership Council during its review of membership standards.
      So bottom line is CHA needs a 6th team.

Comment

Re: CHA Autobid Rejected in Sept. NCAA Meeting

Of course, I'll add the cabinet's reasoning not to grant a waiver is bogus.

My understanding is that the point of this "belief" is essentially to prevent conferences from splitting and increasing the number of autobids. (which seems like a popular thing to do in Massachusetts high school football these days )

But seriously, what harm is done to the NCAA mission by giving the CHA an autobid? This isn't a case of conferences splitting for the sake of autobids. This is a case of 4 schools that have never gotten a shot at the big conferences, and one school Niagara that was rejected by both Hockey East and the ECAC.

Oh, and not to mention the CHA would be at 7 teams now had Findlay not evaporated and the Vermont to Hockey East, Qunnipiac to ECAC reshuffling never occurred.... oh, and don't forget the Ohio State flirtation!!

Comment

And not to beat a dead horse, but I see the women's ice hockey committee's reasoning now... the CHA did have six members in principle at one point, when Quinnipiac and Ohio State were still in the fold, but never actually had a season with 6 teams. So it's a pretty weak violation of the precedent.

The OSU flirtation was at the point where the schedules were drawn up!! The WCHA schools had to redraw their schedules at the last minute. It's not like giving the CHA an autobid is going to create a string of flirtations where 4 conference schools in other sports pay others to join "in principle" to get up to 6 and then have them back out, which I guess is the kind of thing the NCAA is worried about?

Comment

Of course, I'll add the cabinet's reasoning not to grant a waiver is bogus.

My understanding is that the point of this "belief" is essentially to prevent conferences from splitting and increasing the number of autobids. (which seems like a popular thing to do in Massachusetts high school football these days )

But seriously, what harm is done to the NCAA mission by giving the CHA an autobid? This isn't a case of conferences splitting for the sake of autobids. This is a case of 4 schools that have never gotten a shot at the big conferences, and one school Niagara that was rejected by both Hockey East and the ECAC.

Oh, and not to mention the CHA would be at 7 teams now had Findlay not evaporated and the Vermont to Hockey East, Qunnipiac to ECAC reshuffling never occurred.... oh, and don't forget the Ohio State flirtation!!
            I'm sure they are trying to avoid setting a precedent. Open a door, and the unwashed masses will come rushing in.

Comment

Ah yes, thanks, I see it now, thanks.

So bottom line is CHA needs a 6th team.
              RIT anyone ?.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                RIT anyone ?.
                That should be a given.

Comment

Can anyone explain the moratorium on Div 1 that I've seen mentioned previously on the fan forum in regards to RIT? Is this a moratorium on Div 1 in general? Syracuse just joined Div 1 last year. Did they apply before it was imposed, or does it apply to a specific conference only?
                  Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by statsjunkie View Post
                    Can anyone explain the moratorium on Div 1 that I've seen mentioned previously on the fan forum in regards to RIT? Is this a moratorium on Div 1 in general? Syracuse just joined Div 1 last year. Did they apply before it was imposed, or does it apply to a specific conference only?
                    Thanks in advance.
                    The moratorium was imposed because a sizable number of smaller schools, from the lower divisions, had been "going" D1 over the early part of the decade. The NCAA instituted the moratorium to quell the practice, which they felt was a gold rush of sorts to take advantage of BCS football and D1 hoops revenue. It was also causing headaches for conferences, with realignments and scheduling issues etc.

Syracuse is already a D1 institution in all sports (As is Holy Cross) so they were not subject to the moratorium.

Comment

Working...
                    X