Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

Good start to second half.

Strong play from senior class with Cohen, Gryba and Popko all showing leadership, grit and strong play.

Forwards played with effort both ways. Great to see traffic in front of U Mass net all game.

Defense made none of the glaring errors seen regularly in the first half although Shatty's outlet passes were scary at times.

Kieran looked strong in the net without to much pressure.

Penalties a concdern but many seemed borderline calls or just plain bad calls.

The post game skate was fun as well.

Good start to January and can't wait to freeze my a** at Fenway!

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

I'm glad to see Jack did exactly what I would have done after the RPI debacle. "GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE! I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU UNTIL AFTER CHRISTMAS!" Looks like it worked.

The Cohen brothers had it going on. Colby sure can shoot.

Gryba was a beast and Melrose has a serious man crush on him.

I love that Rhett slayed the Eagles out in Denver. (One of the better 3rd periods of hockey I've watched in a long time. Those two teams are so ahead of BU right now it's depressing.)

BU Hockey: Time to Pull Out the Touques!

EDIT TO ADD: Milan is a major concern to me. He still doesn't look right. This team may need to sore 7 a lot in the 2nd half if they want to win.
      It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
        The Cohen brothers had it going on. Colby sure can shoot.
        Seriously, why Dan whatshisname didn't correct Melrose immediately is beyond me. Both of Colby goals came from the exact same spot.

Gryba was a beast and Melrose has a serious man crush on him.
        Yeah, he was all about The Gryba!

I love that Rhett slayed the Eagles out in Denver.
        That made me giggle too. What are the odds???

This team may need to sore 7 a lot in the 2nd half if they want to win.
        That's OK by me!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Seriously, why Dan whatshisname didn't correct Melrose immediately is beyond me. Both of Colby goals came from the exact same spot.
          he said later he knew they weren't brothers.... now whether or not somebody unmisremembered for him or not,
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

just curious, is Barry Melrose the only person who calls Jack Parker "Jackie Parker"?

I assume at some point that must have been a nickname for him, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone except Melrose and a few other national announcers use "Jackie" instead of "Jack." Is this a holdover from the 70s?
            Boston University Hockey National Champions: 1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

"We shouldn't have to beat BC for the nationals. Hell, we can do that any time." - BU legend Jack O'Callahan after winning NCAA championship

30 Beanpot titles and counting

Comment

Originally posted by BU-Grad View Post
              just curious, is Barry Melrose the only person who calls Jack Parker "Jackie Parker"?

I assume at some point that must have been a nickname for him, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone except Melrose and a few other national announcers use "Jackie" instead of "Jack." Is this a holdover from the 70s?
              bob ryan calls him that too.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                bob ryan calls him that too.
                I've heard a couple other people call him Jackie, too. No one specifically is popping into my mind right now, but I've definitely heard more than just The Mullet and Ryan.
                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by collegefan06 View Post

Kieran looked strong in the net without to much pressure.
                  I think this is a comment that is largely colored by the W. Kieran looked nervous and uncomfortable in net to me. At one point, he ducked and looked behind him while making a save, almost as if he was scared of the puck. I thought the only area where they didn't improve on Saturday was goaltending.

The mindset amongst Terriers fans is that Kieran, while in a rotation, is still our number one goalie. I don't think this is true for the coaching staff. Kieran has never once this season played like the number one goalie on this team, and I think we need to stop considering him as such. Rollie in my mind has actually looked much improved this season, despite his first period struggles, and he would be equally as deserving of that Fenway start. While I don't buy the "Kraus has just as much of a chance as anyone" statement by Parker, I would say that Kieran isn't going to get the showcase start just because he's Kieran Millan. Rollheiser could easily be in net on Friday night.
                  April 11th 2009
                  October 27th 2004
                  October 28th 2007

Sure, the Yankees have won 27 World Series Championships, but how many Beanpots have they won?

Comment

We looked so much better on faceoffs, thought that was big, especially on the PK. That clean face-off win by Popko where he won the faceoff and fired it the length of the ice in one motion was awesome.
                    Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      he said later he knew they weren't brothers.... now whether or not somebody unmisremembered for him or not,
                      He said it too many times, including twice in a span of about four minutes, for it to be a slip of the tongue.
                      "I try to be 100% realistic outside of the arena and 100% enthusiastic inside the arena. Not saying that's the only way, the right way, the best way, or even a good way - just my way." -LynahFan

Comment

Originally posted by TommyNoblesIsLife View Post
                        I think this is a comment that is largely colored by the W. Kieran looked nervous and uncomfortable in net to me. At one point, he ducked and looked behind him while making a save, almost as if he was scared of the puck. I thought the only area where they didn't improve on Saturday was goaltending.

The mindset amongst Terriers fans is that Kieran, while in a rotation, is still our number one goalie. I don't think this is true for the coaching staff. Kieran has never once this season played like the number one goalie on this team, and I think we need to stop considering him as such. Rollie in my mind has actually looked much improved this season, despite his first period struggles, and he would be equally as deserving of that Fenway start. While I don't buy the "Kraus has just as much of a chance as anyone" statement by Parker, I would say that Kieran isn't going to get the showcase start just because he's Kieran Millan. Rollheiser could easily be in net on Friday night.
                        Parker and Geragosian didn't decide this week's starter until Friday afternoon. I think they'll wait until Thursday again this week to make that decision. I think the starting goalie Friday will be whoever has the better week of practice. Parker usually leaves these decisions to Geragosian because he's the one who works with the goalies all week.

As for how Millan looked yesterday, I thought he looked better than he did for most of the first half, but still not as good as he did last year. For what it's worth, Parker was pretty happy with his performance, saying he looked "very poised" not just yesterday, but all week in practice since he got back from break. Colby Cohen said he "seems like he really wants to play now."

I don't think Millan did enough to win the starting job or anything yesterday. I think the only way anyone's winning the starting job is with 2 or 3 consecutive very good starts, combined with 2 or 3 consecutive bad starts for the other guy. Until Kraus actually gets a start, I'm not buying Parker's statement that he has an equal chance, either.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                          Can some of you weigh in on Zach Cohen comparisons on other BU teams based on his last 2 years. Unheralded but big contributer, clutch in big games, not super skilled, etc. You know the profile.

I am thinking Kenny Rausch, Prendergast, Matt Marden, MacGregor, amongst others.
                          One man's opinion - Mike Prendergast was a clutch player and big game contributor, but was more skilled than the other players you named.
                          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                            One man's opinion - Mike Prendergast was a clutch player and big game contributor, but was more skilled than the other players you named.
                            word.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                              Agreed. 19 goals as a freshman. And from what I hear, he was pretty good in the clutch (especially against Maine)
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by BU-Grad View Post

Lots of people call him Jackie.

So, I'm watching the UNH-Cornell game on ESPNU. I recorded the BU game last night and then watched it when I got home and realized that there were no tv timeouts. During the intermissions last night, they went back to Bristol and talked college basketball with absolutely no mention of the hockey game. I thought that was weird. Today it's all hockey. They're interviewing coaches and players, etc. Odd.

I did want to mention - props to the band for being there last night. Not that many but I thought they sounded great!

Comment

Working...
                                X