Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    I know the demotion isn't news (I actually broke the demotion about 6 pages and 32 whines ago) But Tort's quotes are. Or at least they were news to me.

BU Hockey: Testy
    Agh, just realized this means I likely won't see Gilroy on the ice for the Flyers-Rangers game I have tickets to this weekend.
    Boston University 2009 Champs
    Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      well golly... you type "gilroy to hartford", not "tort explains his stupid move"
      Excellent point. I'm off my game too.

Les Nesman's Thanksgiving Terrier Drop
      Reading this resulted in audible laughter.

BU Hockey: As God as my witness. I really thought Terriers could defend their title.
      It Happened!!!!

Comment

Scarlet - STILL Not Premium Ticket Holder Of The Game
        FYP

I'm gunning for the One Night Stand special at the Hotel Commonwealth!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
          I know the demotion isn't news (I actually broke the demotion about 6 pages and 32 whines ago) But Tort's quotes are. Or at least they were news to me.

BU Hockey: Testy
          That's okay ... it took me this long to break the news to my kids, who have tickets for a game next week and couldn't wait to see their favorite Ranger in person. My son, who wears #97 in his youth hockey league, took it particularly hard. Looks like we will be making the trip out to Hartford to see him there.

BTW - from what I'm reading and hearing, its fair to say that most Rangers fans are irate or at least confused by this move by the impulsive Tortorella. Have a look at this blog and some of the comments:
          http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2009/...gers-send-down

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            FYP

I'm gunning for the One Night Stand special at the Hotel Commonwealth!
            kinda speaking of..... did you find anything good for me?!?
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
              Agh, just realized this means I likely won't see Gilroy on the ice for the Flyers-Rangers game I have tickets to this weekend.
              Yeah, I have tix for B's-Rags on the 9th. Hopefully he'll be back up by then.
              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Looks like I picked a good week to go to New Orleans instead of freezing up here watching BU get their a sses handed to them.

Anyway, some good comments out here, mostly because they reflect what I've been saying for several years. However, it helps to put this season in context by remembering a few things.

Parker made his reputation by being a great recruiter. Look over the years at the players he brought in here, even back when college was not a route to the pros. He's never been a great strategist, and he's a terrible motivator. He was all of these things in 91 when he brought a team of Amonte-McEachern-Tkachuk into the finals...and lost. He was in 97 when they beat the top team the previous game only to lay an egg and give away a championship. He doesn't have the ability to make adjustments in game or during the week, as how many times has he gone public saying he "saw this coming in practice" after a terrible game, all the while missing the point that its his job to correct these things BEFORE game time.

Now the mookies of the world may think that he should be drawing his salary purely as a figurehead and needs to accept no responsibility for what happens on his watch (kinda explains mook's canine loyalty to George W Bush, but I digress.. ). I disagree. I never see this happening to Jerry York's teams, even if they aren't loaded with talent. I never saw this out of Walshy's teams, although he was paying them by the game.

So you can expect the team to keep having similar seasons except for those rare instances where a boatload of good recruits all come in at once and by virtue of their superior talent need less coaching and motivation than the average college kid. That's entirely possible because again with the new arena helping out the guy can pick talent. Coaching it is another matter. As I said in another thread, I never got the sense that players would go through a brick wall for Parker. His style is of a bygone era where the coach was king and kids had no other options. Bonino must be kicking himself for not leaving when his stock was highest. Beyond him, after this season the rest of them all need to stick around and try to put this debacle behind them. Its happened before that players motivated themselves as they reached their senior year, knowing it was the last chance to make a good impression (Yip, Lawrence, etc). It would also have been nice for the coach to go out on top to cap a legendary career. For every Joe Paterno out there, a guy who seems to have found a new level of respectability over the past few years after everybody had written him off, there's a hundred more Bobby Bowden's or Ron Masons who won't gracefully depart the scene. I have a feeling I know how this one is going to end up.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  Now the mookies of the world may think that he should be drawing his salary purely as a figurehead and needs to accept no responsibility for what happens on his watch
                  i love how all of a sudden i've become a jackite

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Ranger View Post
                    I read the second sentence as a book suggestion, so I took the liberty of expanding upon your post to relieve the ambiguity. However, the joke brilliantly woven within remains lame and kind of mean-spirited.
                    italics fail.

plus the joke is hilarious. so humor fail as well
                    “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                    Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                    Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                    National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                      That's okay ... it took me this long to break the news to my kids, who have tickets for a game next week and couldn't wait to see their favorite Ranger in person. My son, who wears #97 in his youth hockey league, took it particularly hard. Looks like we will be making the trip out to Hartford to see him there.

BTW - from what I'm reading and hearing, its fair to say that most Rangers fans are irate or at least confused by this move by the impulsive Tortorella. Have a look at this blog and some of the comments:
                      http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2009/...gers-send-down
                      One of the things I'm personally ****ed about is that Gilroy makes mistakes, he gets sent down. The sainted MDZ fails to backcheck EVER and watches the opposition skate by him, and he gets heralded as a Calder candidate because he has a bunch of assists on the top PP unit. [/Rant]

That being said, I went to his first Hartford game, and he didn't look great. It sounds like he's improved since then, but he wasn't hustling at all. He was also on the ice every other shift. Some time as a big fish down in Hartford can't hurt.
                      "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Why was the FOH holiday skate canc. for Sunday?!? Will Santa still be there for the rescheduled one next year?!?

Comment

Why was the FOH holiday skate canc. for Sunday?!? Will Santa still be there for the rescheduled one next year?!?
                          It wasn't cancelled, it was postponed, due to several members of both the men's and women's teams leaving for home for the holidays so there would be no Terriers to skate with (or a lack of). I'll check to see if Santa will be at the re-scheduled date.

Comment

Yeah, and what's up with the Podcast, huh? "There was a problem downloading 'BU Men's Ice Hockey Highlights'. The URL could not be found." What's up with that? Did that proficiency graduate last year, too? Don't get me wrong, I don't miss that Michael Bay, hyper-edited, we-think-you're-not-smart-enough-so-we'll-make-it-more-excitinger opening. And I was looking forward to the 4th "theme music" in as many updates. But I really would like to see my Terriers being stinky, not just read about it.
                            Bugs Bunny - 96
                            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Why was the FOH holiday skate canc. for Sunday?!?
                              Insert your own joke here.

I'd say because either;

1) Parker was worried the fans would outskate the team; or

2) An emergency practice was scheduled in place of the event where the team will work on the all important skill of being able to hit the net from at least 10 feet away.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                Insert your own joke here.

I'd say because either;

1) Parker was worried the fans would outskate the team; or

2) An emergency practice was scheduled in place of the event where the team will work on the all important skill of being able to hit the net from at least 10 feet away.
                                Can't always hit it from within 10 feet either. (See: Chiasson, Alex; Trivino, Corey)

Comment

Working...
                                X