Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

Originally posted by BCHF View Post
    It is really none of my business but I saw a ton of talent from the BU bench on Saturday evening. More "real" hockey talent then I have seen on any other team BC has played this year to date and I have seen every game. By far UMASS works the hardest with the talent they possess which pales big time with the players BU can put out on the ice...

I know many of these players having watched many of them for years and cannot understand the lack of offensive output they currently are struggling through. I felt strongly that the game Saturday night would be hard fought and could have gone either way. Fair to say it was very quite until Sneep's goal for the BC fans late into the second. It is BU's lack of response to that goal that confounds me.

They will be fine if they finish more opportunities going forward! 0 PP goals by BC and fewer shots against! I personally am really looking forward to Fenway Park contest and hope BU rights the ship before it is two late for 2009/2010.
    That's what frustrates us too. This team doesn't have last place level talent. It always seemed to me that, last year being the exception, BU players never seem to give max effort out there, either all game or all year. Maybe its the kind of players they recruit, maybe the relationship between players and coaches, team captains, etc but I rarely get the sense that players would go through a brick wall for the team the way York and Walshy's teams always would for example. There's been a consistant problem of the team losing to less talented squads mostly due to coming out flat in big games and not matching their opponents' intensity.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      That's what frustrates us too. This team doesn't have last place level talent. It always seemed to me that, last year being the exception, BU players never seem to give max effort out there, either all game or all year. Maybe its the kind of players they recruit, maybe the relationship between players and coaches, team captains, etc but I rarely get the sense that players would go through a brick wall for the team the way York and Walshy's teams always would for example. There's been a consistant problem of the team losing to less talented squads mostly due to coming out flat in big games and not matching their opponents' intensity.
      Yes but you lost a lot of finishers who scored 75 to 80% of BU's goals last year. Of the goal scorers, Bonino is the only one that returns. You also miss a playmaker like Wilson.
      NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
        I mean, they have Rosen, who has more than held his own in the few games he's played as far as I'm concerned. If Parker wanted to sit one of the d-men, he certainly has a capable replacement. I think this situation is very similar to the "Why isn't Kraus part of the rotation?" situation. In my opinion (Parker hasn't actually said this), I think Parker simply thinks Escobedo and Nicastro are more talented than Rosen, much like I think he thinks Millan and Rollie are simply more talented than Kraus.
        I would agree that on defense Rosen appears more than capable. He is an touted as an offensive d man supposedly in the mold of Warso and Shatty. Based upon how things are going, maybe a message to the other d is in order by a benching or two. Also if given the time, he could excel as well. How can it be much worse than it is now? I think it is a bit different with three goalies though as you have your starter, backup (or alternate starter) and your third goalie who hopes to play a handful of games. With only 7 active d now, the well is drying up, so a shakeup may be in order. For that matter, perhaps start Kraus against RPI?

Comment

Originally posted by BUTerrierfan View Post
          For that matter, perhaps start Kraus against RPI?
          No. This game is actually quite important if the team somehow puts together a second half run. This would put us at 2-0-1 vs. the ECAC thus greatly helping out coop against all of them since our rpi will likely be sagging behind. It also is important for us to get a W going into the break to keep morale up and have something to build on.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          I love it when you fanboys give us the pet names of the players. It makes the season go by faster and is a lot more entertaining. What did 'shatty' and 'scoobs' have for lunch today?
          Off by a few threads, the Northeastern thread and their plethora of links to Thiessen's blog are a few screens down.
          Last edited by slurpees; 12-07-2009, 06:15 PM.
          time to write new history

Comment

Am I the only one that is already looking ahead to next years group of freshmen forwards? I'm pretty confident that Nieto, Gill, Coyle, and Cisse could all beat out some of this years players.

When losing so much talent, the team needs other players to step up. From what I've seen, here is how I would rate the key players:

Bonino: N/A - can't judge given injury time
            Warsofsky - has improved
            Shattenkirk - slight regression
            Colby - regressed
            Connolly - steady, slight improvement
            Vinny - slight regression
            Trivino - slight improvement

I was really hoping that either Gilroy or Glass would have shown they belonged by elevating their game to become legit threats. But it just hasn't happened.

We have only one true threat at forward (Bonino), and it is too easy for an opponent to shut him down since he has a weak supporting cast.

The only way I see this team turning it around is if the goaltending improves enough to grind out some 3-2 wins. I wish I could feel better about our chances, but offensive talent doesn't just wake up halfway through a season.

Prove me wrong Terriers!
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post

On an unrelated note, it continues to astound me how so many of you can talk **** about Brett Bennett. If Brett Bennett was our goalie right now, BU would be above .500. Bennett's stats were better in 07-08 than either Rollheiser's or Millan's are this year, and there's absolutely no way anyone in their right mind can claim that this year's D is worse than 07-08's. It may have been the right thing to do for last year since Millan had a great season, but right now, we'd be much better off with him than we are without him.
              Did you watch Bennett play when he was here?

Comment

If it makes anyone feel better right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKZCc...layer_embedded

Yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  Because, if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8Pyuk98Cs

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    yeah... I fail to see how that is relevant to the post you quoted. I said Bennett is better right now than either of our goalies. We'd have a better record if he was here. I also said that two seasons ago, he kept the puck out of the net more frequently with a worse defense than either goalie this year. Like I said, I'm glad he's gone because of Millan's performance last year. But this year, right now, we'd be better off with him.

Comment

So I was watching the highlights from the two games over the weekend and man, that UVM game....., how did Chiasson not get the rebound on colby's shot that hit off the post? That thing landed right on his stick and he backhanded it into the boards....

Comment

yeah... I fail to see how that is relevant to the post you quoted. I said Bennett is better right now than either of our goalies. We'd have a better record if he was here. I also said that two seasons ago, he kept the puck out of the net more frequently with a worse defense than either goalie this year. Like I said, I'm glad he's gone because of Millan's performance last year. But this year, right now, we'd be better off with him.
                        Ugh seriously, why are we still talking about Bennett? He is old news and bad news at that. Just let it go. I would have thought winning a national championship would have erased him from any future conversation.

Comment

The defense in the second half of that year was much better than the first half defense of this year. Bennett's stats in the first half of that year were awful. Off the charts awful. And it was dreadfully obvious he was the weak link. Even when the team improved, he couldn't stop a beach ball. We already know the goalies we have now can stop the low quality shots most of the time and would have much better statistics if the defense didn't have the horrendous breakdowns.
                          Boston University 2009 Champs
                          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Here's where I step off. Bennett was the worst starting goalie this program has ever seen not named "Tapp". Unless you are related, or in a relationship, with the man, there's no need to make ridiculous statements out here. Bennett = Kraus, and if either of them were playing we'd be winless right now.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              Here's where I step off. Bennett was the worst starting goalie this program has ever seen not named "Tapp". Unless you are related, or in a relationship, with the man, there's no need to make ridiculous statements out here. Bennett = Kraus, and if either of them were playing we'd be winless right now.
                              Whoa, whoa, whoa. Watch the accusations. Kraus has to be better than 07-08 Bennett by now, even current Bennett is better than 07-08 Bennett.
                              Boston University 2009 Champs
                              Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
                                So I was watching the highlights from the two games over the weekend and man, that UVM game....., how did Chiasson not get the rebound on colby's shot that hit off the post? That thing landed right on his stick and he backhanded it into the boards....
                                I saw that on the podcast. They cut away before you can see what happened! You're like, How's that not a goallllll????

One thing that stood out to me was the 1st Vermont goal. First of all, Colby Cohen is just embarrassed at the blue line when that guy skates past him. So he's immediately reduced to lamely hooking from behind. Then Shattenkirk has to sprint across to cover, but he skates so hard the same UVM guy just pauses for a second, and Kevin flies past him. Now HE'S reduced to hooking lamely from behind. Finally somebody (it looks like #19) comes flying in and just knocks the guy down . . . but in the process the puck carries over to a UVM guy, who's of course all alone, because now we've got THREE guys behind the play (Cohen & Shattenkirk, because they've been schooled, and #19 'cause he's sprawled on the ice after laying out the puck handler). Goal city. And all because one guy just skated down the ice. (I know that's over-simplifying it -- but not by much.)
                                Bugs Bunny - 96
                                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Working...
                                X