Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston College @ Boston University, 12/5 - The First Of Four Venues

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
    BC dropped BU from the schedule because BU lost by less than 10 last time. That was the cue to schedule South Carolina Upstate and Bryant instead.
    Originally posted by yankeefn01
    despite BC playing in the far superior Athletics conference in the ACC they're scared that they can't beat a team from America East.
    Nice detective work Sherlock. Yeah, that's pretty much it, I said as much. BC gains no benefit from playing BU, Northeastern, Rhode Island, Holy Cross, or the score of other teams that have been purged in favor of patsies from out of region. Those teams get up for games against BC, while BC seems to go out and lay a turd whenever they play teams that aren't 'name' opponents. Thus games like that have been phased out (except for UMass and PC, but those are very good programs for the most part).

If BC played BU, there is no way in hell that the students at BC would go 'ohmygod, BU's in town! We have to go to this basketball game, despite only going to one or two others when Duke or UNC is here!' If they played at Agganis, it might sell out because I think BU students would turn out to see BC, but BC students would. not. care about BU outside of hockey.

It's similar to Notre Dame here; when ND came here to play hockey, tons of kids who never go to hockey games suddenly went 'omg, notre dame's here! time to buy hockey tickets!,' then never came back. That wouldn't happen for BU hoops though.

The big BC turnout at the BC-BU soccer game mainly happened because BC soccer fans are either diehard BC sports fans who understand the BC-BU dynamic (trust me, lots of BC students don't), or they're friends of the soccer players and go to all the games.

Red Hot Hockey can sell 18,000+ tickets to a collge hockey game, in a city that hasn't even heard of college hockey, and BC and BU fans alike think that not only a BU/BC game couldn't sell out at Conte, but wouldn't even sell a single section at TD? What does that say about the pride in the city of boston? Red Hot Hockey sells as many tickets as it does because it is very well marketed, and because Cornell fans have great pride in their team, their alma mater, and will show up at a venue like MSG to go support their school. A factor like this seems to be missing in Boston, especially over in chestnut hill.
    Oh my god. You're not seriously making this comparison are you?

Red Hot Hockey is a game of HOCKEY between two HOCKEY SCHOOLS, both of which have huge alumni presence in NYC. It's also an old school HOCKEY rivalry. Plus, Madison Square Garden is the world's most famous arena; TDBNG, not so much.

BC-BU bouncyball at the Garden would be a game of bouncyball between a football school and a hockey school at an arena that's not exactly a novelty for BC or BU fans.

Cornell fans have great pride in their... wait for it... HOCKEY TEAM, and will show up to support their... yes... HOCKEY TEAM at the Madison Square Garden. Same for BU.
    BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
    -
    Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Wow, that was a wrecking...
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
        It's similar to Notre Dame here; when ND came here to play hockey, tons of kids who never go to hockey games suddenly went 'omg, notre dame's here! time to buy hockey tickets!,' then never came back. That wouldn't happen for BU hoops though.
        Not that I disagree with your argument, but this paragraph cancels itself out.

'It's like if it was BC-Notre Dame, but it's also not like it at all.'

Boston University 2009 Champs
        Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

I love the distraction of BU looking ahead to BC. Jackie P and players are there too I am sure. Who wouldn't be distracted by those Jesuit School uniforms

*****http://images5.yandy.com/Products/83201.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
            Not that I disagree with your argument, but this paragraph cancels itself out.

'It's like if it was BC-Notre Dame, but it's also not like it at all.'

Sorry for my poor wording. What I meant to say (and I think it's clear from the context, but if it's not, my bad) is that the "BC effect" of students getting really hyped up at BU to play BC is similar to what happens when Notre Dame comes to BC. However, BU does not engender those feelings w/ BC students, only Notre Dame does.
            BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
            -
            Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Once again Yankeefat leaves no doubt that he is on a new level of stupid only rivaled by jcarter.
              Originally posted by reBlur
              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Back to BU-BC hockey...

Leaked Video from BC's Practice
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                  Once again Yankeefat leaves no doubt that he is on a new level of stupid only rivaled by jcarter.
                  Don't forget Grantfan and Hokiedope.
                  Originally posted by mookie1995
                  bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                  Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                  Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Hot how is this rivalry? How about a second time in the Wall Street Journal this week? From The Journal's Daily Fix blog by David Roth:

Your Fixer isn’t an ardent hockey fan, and his TV-sports dance card is pretty full as it is. But I keep meaning to get more into college hockey, which is full of bizarrely intense rivalries and random upstart programs and too-unique-for-the-pros stars — everything I like about college basketball, only more so and colder. Among those ultra-intense rivalries, the long-running battle between Boston College and Boston University ranks as perhaps the bitterest, and sweetest.

“People talk about Michigan and Ohio State in football, but imagine if they were located right next to each other, and their players all knew each other growing up, and they played not once but three or four times a year,” Boston University radio announcer Bernie Corbett says of the rivalry. That’s a lot to imagine, so I’ll just recommend reading Neal E. Boudette’s excellent feature on the rivalry from the Journal.

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2009/1...a-month-early/
                    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

yankeefat's attendance argument is worse than his 'zomg, not in boston' argument. BU is twice the size of BC, and has one third the sports but still cant outdraw us in hockey. Plus you got 650 fans to your last basketball game...yet we are the frauds?

Disregarding BC basketball attendance, how on earth would a BC/BU game sellout the TD Garden if you cant even fill case gym? Would the fanboys paint their faces, breakout their rejection letters and run down just to boo BC basketball? Would the players and actual basketball fans be in for a night of hockey chants?

BU basketball on our schedule would easily be one of the worst games and I would never pay to go see it. it doesn't help our recruiting, it doesn't help our ncaa chances and its quite frankly a waste of time and money. it has nothing to do with passion.

and lastly, since yankeefat now avoids the newton/boston maps like they were healthy foods. I also noticed that parts of BU's campus are actually in Brookline! OMG! NOT IN BOSTON!!!!!
                      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Anyone check out the HE standings lately. Three of the Big 4 are in their rightful spot.

You guys screwed up BIG TIME when you burned all of the boats.
                        Shoulda saved a rescue boat.
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                          Anyone check out the HE standings lately. Three of the Big 4 are in their rightful spot.

You guys screwed up BIG TIME when you burned all of the boats.
                          Shoulda saved a rescue boat.
                          i'll have you know, sir, that we are undefeated in our last four games!!! that's FOUR games!!!!

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

quickly on BC-BU basketball - would never sellout Conte unless BU suddenly pulled 50 rabbits out of their hat and became a good program. then again, BC has trouble selling out games not against Duke/UNC (who bring hoards of their own fans) at Conte. Heck, if UConn or Syracuse played at Conte tomorrow night, I'm not sure BC fans would buy up all the tickets. Even when Kansas showed up in 08 - with about 2-3k of their own fans - the game was listed as a sellout, but you could see more than a few open seats on TV. But again, BU's program is nowhere near good enough to even warrant this being close to a "rivalry" game, it'd just be another WhoGivesACrap State middle of November game for BC that "4,000 people" show up to.

as for tomorrow night, SHOOT HIGH ON MUSE.
                            Last edited by slurpees; 12-05-2009, 02:16 AM.
                            time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              i'll have you know, sir, that we are undefeated in our last four games!!! that's FOUR games!!!!

Mookie, you are so right!

Hugh mistake to think that BU will take anything for granted tonight as the stakes are very high for them! Clear message was being sent by Parker publicly and I would image the locker room commentary was even more colorful. Make no mistake this is a very important game for both clubs but BU has very little room for error.

BC should be confident, loose, and hungry to show the HE and hockey world they want to be recognized as a "real" threat in 2009/2010. BU on the other hand will be anxious to prove their coaches rants about their preparation to be false! These dynamics make for what should be a hard fought contest that could go either way. BC has show the ability to be down early and win, up early and win/tie, battle throughout and come out on top. BU has played 4 very good games with periods of greatness.

Coaches "styles" are so very different but their results are strikingly similar. Both staffs want this one bad and the players certainly know that. It's only one game but it is one that makes this sport so great at the college level.

Fans should really try to enjoy this one as the last two reigning NCAA Champs square off for the first time in 2009 with new players and similar expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                                quickly on BC-BU basketball - would never sellout Conte unless BU suddenly pulled 50 rabbits out of their hat and became a good program. then again, BC has trouble selling out games not against Duke/UNC (who bring hoards of their own fans) at Conte. Heck, if UConn or Syracuse played at Conte tomorrow night, I'm not sure BC fans would buy up all the tickets. Even when Kansas showed up in 08 - with about 2-3k of their own fans - the game was listed as a sellout, but you could see more than a few open seats on TV. But again, BU's program is nowhere near good enough to even warrant this being close to a "rivalry" game, it'd just be another WhoGivesACrap State middle of November game for BC that "4,000 people" show up to.

as for tomorrow night, SHOOT HIGH ON MUSE.
                                1) If UConn or Syracuse came to Conte the game would sell out no question.
                                2) I was at the game and it was sold out and pretty much every seat was taken. Plus the game was played over break.
                                3) BC reports fannies in the seats for all of their sports We don't have something like UConn where it is published as a capacity crowd and the place is a third empty.

Hey maybe we'll start Milner

Comment

Working...
                                X