Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston College @ Boston University, 12/5 - The First Of Four Venues

Originally posted by yankeefn01 View Post
    couldn't have said it better myself. we are in for a 1-2 point weekend at best.
    I agree, but not in a mean way. I think bu might overlook Vermont a bit, and I think BC is just a step above bu this year. I guess we'll know by Saturday night. It's going to be a very, very telling weekend for both teams.
    Originally posted by btg1204 View Post
    In the words of Jack Buck, "I don't believe what I just saw" (or read )

http://www.dailyfreepress.com/meyer-...alry-1.2108185
    BU students and fans try to extend this rivalry beyond hockey, allowing their hatred of BC in hockey to morph into a hatred of all things BC.

It’s something that I observe all of the time here, whether its doing “The Song” at games where we’re not even playing BC or people rooting against the Eagles football and basketball teams, just from the illogical standpoint that, “We go to BU, so we cheer against BC in everything.”
    That's not illogical at all. I hate everything bu, and I don't see a problem with people affiliated with bu hating us at all. In fact, I'm a bit put off by the tone of that article.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

*****http://static.nfl.com/static/site/img/rulebook/signals/referee-safety.gif******
      Boston University 2009 Champs
      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Interesting...

In four matchups last year, BC led BU just one time - the time between Ben Smith's second period goal to go up 1-0 in the Hockey East Semifinal, and the one minute of fail halfway through the third period. In the other games, BC chased. Not to go all John Madden, but it's tough to come from behind against a good team.

I'm so glad it's not last year anymore.

If BC scores early (the first five minutes or so), I think they win in a cakewalk. It would be a really cathartic moment after getting royally pwned last year and set the tone for this year's season series.

If it stays tight and scoreless going into the third, that's when the crowd/the moment/the pressure from last year could start to play into things and BU will have more of an edge.
        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
        -
        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

In the words of Jack Buck, "I don't believe what I just saw" (or read )

http://www.dailyfreepress.com/meyer-...alry-1.2108185
          this article makes me want to puke...

why don't BU and BC play in bball more? obviously BU basketball is terrible (at least when compared to the amazingness that is Syracuse basketball that I get to witness these days)... but they schedule teams like Notre Dame and UCONN the past two years, so why not play BC. It's essentially a free win for BC, they could probably market the game to be played at TD Bank with the number of fans that would want to see a matchup like this. Hell, maybe you could just have basketball-type Beanpot.
          Boston University '08 Syracuse University '11
          when you say Jack Parker... you've said it all

1994 1996 1998 1999 2000 2003 2009 2009
          "so here's to the outhouse on the hill, 'cause BOSTON COLLEGE SUCKS, and they always will!"

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
            If BC scores early (the first five minutes or so), I think they win in a cakewalk. It would be a really cathartic moment after getting royally pwned last year and set the tone for this year's season series.
            I haven't seen BC yet this year, and they do look like a good team, but I don't see any sort of situation where the game becomes a cakewalk. Even last year I was wary of playing BC because the rivalry brings out the best in both teams generally. If I were a BC Eagle fan, I'd be hoping that doesn't happen in this game, because I do believe this BU team still has a ton of talent and is just beginning to string together complete game efforts.

Sure they just played 2 ECAC teams, but I think the players' confidence is high and the thinking in the locker room is that they're not going to be out of any games from now on.

why don't BU and BC play in bball more? obviously BU basketball is terrible (at least when compared to the amazingness that is Syracuse basketball that I get to witness these days)... but they schedule teams like Notre Dame and UCONN the past two years, so why not play BC. It's essentially a free win for BC, they could probably market the game to be played at TD Bank with the number of fans that would want to see a matchup like this. Hell, maybe you could just have basketball-type Beanpot.
            Disagree. There aren't enough BU basketball fans to fill a single section, and even with that matchup you would max out at 2 sections, and BC basketball fans would probably much rather watch them play any ACC opponent rather than BU.
            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
              Disagree. There aren't enough BU basketball fans to fill a single section, and even with that matchup you would max out at 2 sections, and BC basketball fans would probably much rather watch them play any ACC opponent rather than BU.
              4 sections if yankeefat attends. which he would have to, of course, since it was his brilliant idea.
              “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
              Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
              Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
              National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

BC BU wouldn't sell out at Conte.

Comment

That might be the only game that would sell out at Agganis.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'm pretty sure Dennis Wolff tried to schedule BC several times during his tenure at BU, but Al Skinner and the BC Athletics Dept wanted no part of it. When you think about it, why would they? BC doesn't have to prove to anyone that they have the superior basketball program. All playing BU would do is give a local small program a chance to upset the local power. But then again, BC did schedule NU in football this year, so...
                  Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I don't see any sort of situation where the game becomes a cakewalk.
                    Oh, I definitely can see a situation where it becomes a cakewalk.
                    I haven't seen BC yet this year
                    This is why you don't.
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

maybe, maybe not. I would think with the resurgence of success the Celtics have brought to Boston, that maybe basketball is growing in beantown again? maybe not so much for the students, but I would [like to] think that there are enough people in Boston to come out to an event like that to support their alma mater.

I disagree.

Also, I stumbled along this dandy... don't think I've ever seen it posted before in one of our BU/BC threads before. Made me laugh
                      http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...-bu-vs-bc.html

"so here's to the outhouse on the hill, 'cause BOSTON COLLEGE SUCKS, and they always will!"

Comment

Also, I stumbled along this dandy... don't think I've ever seen it posted before in one of our BU/BC threads before. Made me laugh
                        http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...-bu-vs-bc.html
                        Not nearly enough flames. Next.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown6 View Post
                          So in summary:

"bc is sooooo pretty and awesome, why cant we just fellate them like the rest of the city does while quietly only hating their hockey team?"

Belch. What a wet-blanket article.
                          This is a rivalry weekend. Engage the hate!!
                          It's funny I read this article in the Freep and before I was even done thought "I wonder how long til this makes it to USCHO." Well I guess I have my answer. I have no problem with the opinions displayed in the article and I know fans who feel the same way as the writer, and others who feel the same way BU and BC fans he described, however I also know BU and BC fans who are vastly different from what was described in the article. The main problem I think people perceive in the article is that whenever you write something describing in detail how you act in a situation, how it is different than others, it is generally portrayed as either taking the high and mighty approach or as a suggestion for others to convert to the writer's method. I don't know the writer enough to know if he is writing for either one of those reasons, so assuming he isn't the article is fine by me, but who knows

Originally posted by Federal League View Post

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'm pretty sure Dennis Wolff tried to schedule BC several times during his tenure at BU, but Al Skinner and the BC Athletics Dept wanted no part of it. When you think about it, why would they? BC doesn't have to prove to anyone that they have the superior basketball program. All playing BU would do is give a local small program a chance to upset the local power. But then again, BC did schedule NU in football this year, so...
                          IIRC the teams used to play rather frequently, but always at Conte, and then BC discontinued the matchup all together, but I could be way of base with that. And yeah I agree the risk of losing to a crosstown rival is worse than the reward of the few extra seats sold to the local opposing fan base versus a farther away mid major BC could schedule. Maybe if Chambers builds enough fan support that the number of extra tickets sold for BC would be worth the risk the matchup would renew? I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            Muse has been shaky, and our offense has been ridiculous - and balanced. We have about 9 players with 3+ goals. Should be a fun, fun game to watch.
                            # of players with 3+ goals (all according to USCHO stats)

BC - 7
                            BU - 7
                            Maine - 8
                            UML - 9
                            UMass - 9
                            Mack - 7
                            UNH - 7
                            NU - 6
                            PC - 8
                            UVM - 7

Not that this improves BU's chances at all...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              Oh, I definitely can see a situation where it becomes a cakewalk.

This is why you don't.
                              Look, I'm not going to pretend I know anything about 2009-2010 BC, but we've both lost to (an admittedly better) Merrimack. This isn't quite like either of the last two years in my mind where the dominance is predictable. Both teams have to give 100% to win and can't get by with less. More of BC's players have done that more often so far, but I see both teams doing that when they meet.

And yeah, it becomes a cakewalk if BC scores thrice within the first 44 seconds. And it would be ironic. But apart from that...
                              Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post

Yet BC keeps scheduling Harvard. I honestly think we'll see a BU BC basketball game some time in the new future though assuming the whole "new era of BU basketball" comes to fruition.

Comment

Working...
                                X