• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAL Stovepipe Tournament

From Chris Lerch:

PAL Stovepipe Tournament

When: November 28 & 29

Who: Southern New Hampshire (host), Stonehill, UMass-Boston, Penn State

Outlook: Club powerhouse Penn State adds a nice twist to this tournament. I’m picking Mass-Boston to beat the Nittany Lions in the finals.
    This will be a good test for the Icers and their 11 new team members. Twelve seniors graduated from last year's squad that lost to 2-1 Salem State before beating Salve Regina 8-0 in the Salem State Christmas tournament.

Penn State is 14-1-1, riding a 10-game winning streak.

Mass-Boston assistant coach Greg Schwind was with the Icers in 2004-05. He had 6 goals before suffering a broken leg in a November game at Rhode Island.

Greg transferred to SUNY Brockport the next season -- and the rest, as they say, is history.

Time for a shameless plug - you can listen to Penn State's games here.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Re: PAL Stovepipe Tournament

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    From Chris Lerch:

Greg transferred to SUNY Brockport the next season -- and the rest, as they say, is history.

Greg was also a member of a NJCAA Morrisville Championship team.
    Jim Reisdorf
    Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

The USCHO.com schedule doesn't show Penn State's games on it anywhere, but it is on the Icer's website. Go Nittany Lions!
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by LoudHorns31 View Post
        Greg was also a member of a NJCAA Morrisville Championship team.
        Indeed he was. Funny, but there's no mention of Penn State on his bio page.

Comment

His brother also played baseball at Plattsburgh.
          Jim Reisdorf
          Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

From Chris Lerch:

Outlook: Club powerhouse Penn State adds a nice twist to this tournament. I’m picking Mass-Boston to beat the Nittany Lions in the finals.
            Well, the first part of Chris' prediction came true. U-Mass Boston thumped Stonehill 7-2, while the Icers rolled past Southern New Hampshire 5-2, outshooting the Penmen 42-18.

Comment

Well, the first part of Chris' prediction came true. U-Mass Boston thumped Stonehill 7-2, while the Icers rolled past Southern New Hampshire 5-2, outshooting the Penmen 42-18.
              I was looking through the PSU roster the other day and noticed a healthy chunk of guys with junior experience. What sort of productivity did most of them have in juniors?

Obviously, there are countless reasons a junior player might choose to play non-NCAA affiliated collegiate hockey, but do the Icers have some guys that jacked up some points in juniors or no?
              “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
              19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
                I was looking through the PSU roster the other day and noticed a healthy chunk of guys with junior experience. What sort of productivity did most of them have in juniors?

Obviously, there are countless reasons a junior player might choose to play non-NCAA affiliated collegiate hockey, but do the Icers have some guys that jacked up some points in juniors or no?
                I wouldn't say the guys that played in the various junior leagues "jacked up some points." There are some very talented players in this year's freshman class.

There are a number of reasons why players choose Penn State over D-II and D-II schools. Primarily it's the education opportunities, with far more choices of majors at PSU than at the smaller schools.

As for the hockey side, many tell me (including some who have transferred from D-I and D-III programs in past years) that they chose the chance to play for a good program in front of more than 1,000 fans at home games versus a few hundred in their former schools.

No disrespect to those programs, but the entire Penn State atmosphere is also a big draw.

Comment

There are a number of reasons why players choose Penn State over D-II and D-II schools. Primarily it's the education opportunities, with far more choices of majors at PSU than at the smaller schools.

As for the hockey side, many tell me (including some who have transferred from D-I and D-III programs in past years) that they chose the chance to play for a good program in front of more than 1,000 fans at home games versus a few hundred in their former schools.

No disrespect to those programs, but the entire Penn State atmosphere is also a big draw.
                  Oh, for sure. Was just curious as I was looking through the roster and didn't feel like googling 20 guys in attempt to find their junior stats
                  “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                  19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Congrats to U-Mass Boston for a 7-4 win over Penn State in the championship game. The Icers left their game in the locker room in the 2nd period, allowing the Beacons to score 4 straight to take a 6-3 lead.

But as Beacons coach Peter Belisle told me in the post-game interview, he was worried the Icers would come back. They did, but fell short to a very good team.

Senior netminder Ryan Donovan was the big difference, making some big saves as the Icers outshot the Beacons 34-33.

A special thanks to the staff at the Ice Den and Lt. Ernie Goodno, Sgt. Brian O'Keefe and the members of the Manchester Police Department for their hospitality and for a well-run tournament.

Comment

Working...
                    X