Big Dogs vs Prehistoric Cats, NU UVM Nov 27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Dogs vs Prehistoric Cats, NU UVM Nov 27

Football and turkey all day Thursday, college hockey friday. Not bad, let's start talking about the game. I have a question for UVM fans, with madore's poor play early this year (3.73 GAA) have you gone into a rotation with spillane and madore or has spillane seemed to taken the reigns on the netminder position? Which goalie do you expect to play Friday?
    Arenas Attended
    Matthews Arena
    Agganis Arena
    Tsongas Arena
    Lawler Arena
    Schneider Arena
    Mullins Center
    TD Banknorth Garden
    Conte Forum
    Whittemore Center
    Gutterson Fieldhouse
    Alfond Arena
    Compton Family Ice Arena

Re: Big Dogs vs Prehistoric Cats, NU UVM Nov 27

Not only aren't catamounts prehistoric, they might not even be extinct!

http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/...tainlions.html

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther
      I had no idea a catamount was another word for a cougar.

Northeastern University, Class of 2012

GO NU

Comment

The definition of a catamount has changed to accommodate modern wild cats such as mountain lions but it originally referred to a much larger cat that lived in northern parts of VT and NH a while ago, prehistoric is a stretch, i said that more for satirical humor.
        Arenas Attended
        Matthews Arena
        Agganis Arena
        Tsongas Arena
        Lawler Arena
        Schneider Arena
        Mullins Center
        TD Banknorth Garden
        Conte Forum
        Whittemore Center
        Gutterson Fieldhouse
        Alfond Arena
        Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
          The definition of a catamount has changed to accommodate modern wild cats such as mountain lions but it originally referred to a much larger cat that lived in northern parts of VT and NH a while ago, prehistoric is a stretch, i said that more for satirical humor.
          Can I get a source for that? It better not be wikipedia! JK I really dont care, the lighthearted thread names are a welcomed change this year, Im glad to see they are catching on. On to the game! If we play like we have the last few games I think NU has a good shot at 1 or 2 points. A lot will fall on Rawlings shoulders as normal. If we score 4 goals we win, if we score 2 or less we get nothing. If we get 3, hold on to your hats.

Comment

not sure what UVM will do about Spillane/Madore.

I would play Spillane Tuesday and see what happens. If he plays well bring him back against vs. NU

How full will Mathews be?

I'll probably be down for the game Friday night and see the B's on Saturday although that will cost me a lot of shopping at Copley on Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
              not sure what UVM will do about Spillane/Madore.

I would play Spillane Tuesday and see what happens. If he plays well bring him back against vs. NU

How full will Mathews be?

I'll probably be down for the game Friday night and see the B's on Saturday although that will cost me a lot of shopping at Copley on Saturday
              Unfortunately Matthews will be very empty. Most students will be home. I wish I could be there for the game but its Thanksgiving weekend and I won't be around. You will get a ticket without any issues. Its too bad because Matthews has been very full, and a lot of fun this year.

Comment

I will be at the game, but it will be one of the lower attended games of the year, I hate break games...

The Huskies looked better against PC. Let's hope UMass destroyed the spirit and did not just **** off the Catamounts...
                MATTHEWS ARENA

100 YEARS OF HOCKEY HISTORY

Comment

I'm guessing at this point Madore will be in net. Spillane gave up 6 to UMass, 3 were PP but still. Defense is horrible, Madore can be a spectacular goalie, and he needs to be until the D can get their act together.

Hard to figure out UVM for this game, I expect Sneddon must have ripped them a new one after Tuesday, may work or not.
                  Originally posted by Hokydad
                  Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Short write up in the Burlington Free Press today
                    http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...-to-ice-Friday

Key quote to me :

"It's just getting guys to go for 60 minutes," Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon said. "That's my job and I take full responsibility for it. One thing is for sure I'll do what ever it takes to turn it. If it's got to be tough love, it'll be tough love."

I hope Sneddon can light a fire under them.
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                      Short write up in the Burlington Free Press today
                      http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...-to-ice-Friday

Key quote to me :

"It's just getting guys to go for 60 minutes," Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon said. "That's my job and I take full responsibility for it. One thing is for sure I'll do what ever it takes to turn it. If it's got to be tough love, it'll be tough love."

I hope Sneddon can light a fire under them.
                      It is really interesting to me to see the parallels between NU and UVM right now. Both teams have been good for stretchs and horrible for stretches. Right now neither team is playing well enough to warrant a home ice spot. Both are tied in the standings right now, so this game means a good deal to both teams. Whichever team shows up to play more of the game will walk away the winner. Hopefully NU has remembered how to score because I think Rawlings is going to continue his confident play in net. I think it ends in a tie, and both teams take away more negatives that positives. Hows that for pessimism?

Comment

The two biggest problems UVM has right now is first and most obvious they are terrible on specail teams, almost all of the loses this year the team had played even with or better than the opponet 5 on 5 but got killed in special teams. And the other is they are having alot of trouble regrouping after a goal or bad penalty call. The Umass game was a perfect example as the game was even right up to the back to back powerplay goals and then UVM never could get going again even thou they had over a period to go and were only one goal down. As shown versus BC they play much better if they get ahead, you would expect this from a young team but since they are not young its more troubling.
                        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Madore made some huge saves tonight and really looked good.

NU played an absolutely terrible first 2 periods. They looked slow, the passes were not sharp, and they frequently got outworked by UVM. The Huskies finally showed up in the third, but I thought UVM (and especially Madore) did a nice job of holding off a Huskies rally.
                          Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                          -dggoddard

Comment

Only heard the game from WRBB, but it sounded like it was pretty rough from the start...

Also sounded like we were seeing Rawlings from the first few weeks of the season in the first period. Scary to see... er... hear that. From someone who was actually there, was it that bad?

Also sounded like we hit about 2 or 3 posts towards the end of the game. Tough break... A win here for NU woulda been huge. We have a lot of work to do this week if we want to come out on top this weekend. Which we NEED to do...
                            Northeastern University, Class of 2012

GO NU

Comment

Originally posted by choog View Post
                              Also sounded like we were seeing Rawlings from the first few weeks of the season in the first period. Scary to see... er... hear that. From someone who was actually there, was it that bad?
                              Rawlings wasn't horrible except on his turnover that directly led to the first UVM goal. But he wasn't great, either. He made some saves, but he looked pretty shaky at times. They needed him to make a BIG save tonight and help energize the team, but he did not do that.
                              Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                              -dggoddard

Comment

Working...
                              X