X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b's guide to Duluth / Twin Cities

Never been there.

Here's the itinerary...
    Friday -- arriving @ MSP around noon. Figure get to Duluth around 3 PM. We don't play until 7:30, so I need a place to eat. No seafood or spicy stuff.

Saturday we don't play until 3:30. What can I do for about 5 hrs. and then after the game? Salem is heading back to MSP right after the game, so I won't have much time with the son. I was thinking about Eveleth and the USA Hockey Hall of Fame in the AM.

I'm heading to MSP Sunday after Mass and then don't leave until Monday evening (free flights). So what can I do in MSP besides the Mall of the Americas?

THANKS!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: n00b's guide to Duluth / Twin Cities

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Never been there.

Here's the itinerary...
    Friday -- arriving @ MSP around noon. Figure get to Duluth around 3 PM. We don't play until 7:30, so I need a place to eat. No seafood or spicy stuff.

Saturday we don't play until 3:30. What can I do for about 5 hrs. and then after the game? Salem is heading back to MSP right after the game, so I won't have much time with the son. I was thinking about Eveleth and the USA Hockey Hall of Fame in the AM.

I'm heading to MSP Sunday after Mass and then don't leave until Monday evening (free flights). So what can I do in MSP besides the Mall of the Americas?

THANKS!
    Eveleth is about an hour and a half drive north/northwest of Duluth. Just stay on Highway 53 and you'll run smack dab into Eveleth. There are some good places to eat around Canal Park...I think the Green Mile pizza place is down there. If you are in the mood for a good burger, follow Webb's advice and head over to Superior to the Anchor Bar. Sammy's pizza, both in Superior and Duluth are very good. Some of these suggestions are pretty good, too.
    "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by powerofyellowandblack View Post
      Sammy's pizza, both in Superior and Duluth are very good.
      Visited Sammy's last weekend when we stayed up in Canal Park during the CSS series. It was pretty good.
      Last edited by BlueDevilRadio; 11-22-2009, 01:40 PM.
      WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
      NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
      WIAC Championships: 10-11
      NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
      NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Pretty darn good pizza at the Thirsty Pagan in Superior. Then again, pizza out east is better than out here.

If you like football, there's an NCAA II quarterfinal Saturday at noon between UM-Duluth and Grand Valley State at the UMD campus.
        Last edited by Michael; 11-22-2009, 04:35 PM.

Comment

For food, all listed are good, Grandma's on Canal St is a good all around place to eat. Not bad area for night life either.

For entertainment, there is always the mall up the hill, but you can do that anywhere. In town some of my favorites are the freshwater aquarium with adjacent IMAX theater. I'm not sure if the freighter tour is open this time of the year. That's right next door. There's the Lake Superior Maritime museum. That's a favorite of mine. There's a cool diorama of the Edmund Fitzgerald. On the door is a listing of scheduled freighters coming in if you want to catch one. All of this is right down in the Canal Park area. If you drive over the lift bridge and go all the way down to the airport you can park and go over the sand dunes to the shoreline and catch some cool pictures if the lake is starting to freeze over. On the nature end of things, you can drive up the Northshore and check out Split Rock lighthouse and/or Gooseberry Falls state park. These are a little over an hour up 61. Keeping with the nature aspect, if you go south on 53 through Superior you can go to Amnicon Falls state park at the junction of Hwy 2. This is about 30 minutes south of Duluth. A drive along the Skyline Park way gives good views of the area too.
          D-III Rinks Map

"Who is that Viking up there?!" -Adrian Bench

SNC Fan: "Do you have many problems at the games?"
          Security Guard: "No, only when Point plays here."

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman-RC View Post
            For food, all listed are good, Grandma's on Canal St is a good all around place to eat. Not bad area for night life either.

For entertainment, there is always the mall up the hill, but you can do that anywhere. In town some of my favorites are the freshwater aquarium with adjacent IMAX theater. I'm not sure if the freighter tour is open this time of the year. That's right next door. There's the Lake Superior Maritime museum. That's a favorite of mine. There's a cool diorama of the Edmund Fitzgerald. On the door is a listing of scheduled freighters coming in if you want to catch one. All of this is right down in the Canal Park area. If you drive over the lift bridge and go all the way down to the airport you can park and go over the sand dunes to the shoreline and catch some cool pictures if the lake is starting to freeze over. On the nature end of things, you can drive up the Northshore and check out Split Rock lighthouse and/or Gooseberry Falls state park. These are a little over an hour up 61. Keeping with the nature aspect, if you go south on 53 through Superior you can go to Amnicon Falls state park at the junction of Hwy 2. This is about 30 minutes south of Duluth. A drive along the Skyline Park way gives good views of the area too.
            For a shorter nature trip, check out the overlook at Hawk Ridge. Pretty splendid view, right in town, at the top of the hill.

Comment

All suggestions good. The one suggestion to fully take advantage of though, is the short trip over the bridge to Superior for an Anchor Burger at the Anchor Bar. Something you'll surely never forget.
              The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by walktheline View Post
                All suggestions good. The one suggestion to fully take advantage of though, is the short trip over the bridge to Superior for an Anchor Burger at the Anchor Bar. Something you'll surely never forget.
                I second this suggestion

Comment

Working...
                X