PDA

View Full Version : Plattsburgh Women Upstage Elmira 3-2

Pages : [1] 2

TacoRob
11-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Tonight the Plattsburgh women's hockey team opened their first home game of the season. Their opponent? Elmira - the defending National Champions for NCAA Division III women's ice hockey as well as the top ranked team in the nation.

Check out my recap at http://www.therobbrennan.com/journal/2009/11/21/plattsburgh-women-upstage-elmira-3-2.html

Bill-R-
11-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Elmira is not the defending National Champions. Amherst is. :D

aerogroup2
11-22-2009, 05:43 AM
Newspaper recap, game one: http://www.pressrepublican.com/0300_sports/local_story_326061231.html

TacoRob
11-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Elmira is not the defending National Champions. Amherst is. :D

Whoopsie; my bad. Thanks for the catch; I should have said defending conference champs. This has been corrected :D

5 4 Fighting
11-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Whoopsie; my bad. Thanks for the catch; I should have said defending conference champs. This has been corrected :D

Hey Tacobell where do you get "Upstaged" from. I'd say your 0 for 2 on this thread....

SHUCrosscheck
11-22-2009, 11:41 AM
And just when I thought Elmira couldn't get any uglier with their jersey. Somebody must be laughing at the company that made those.

5 4 Fighting
11-22-2009, 11:46 AM
And just when I thought Elmira couldn't get any uglier with their jersey. Somebody must be laughing at the company that made those.

Hey good one crosscheck!

You must have been up all night thinking of that one...

SHUCrosscheck
11-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey good one crosscheck!

You must have been up all night thinking of that one...

Nah took about 5 minutes. Go crawl back into your hole

5 4 Fighting
11-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Nah took about 5 minutes. Go crawl back into your hole

What?

TacoRob
11-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Hey Tacobell where do you get "Upstaged" from. I'd say your 0 for 2 on this thread....

0 for 2? Hardly. Upstage was fitting - but here's a complimentary lesson. Elmira was the top rated team per the rankings, they won the conference last season, AND they were the favorite coming into Cardinal Country.

And as an added bonus (to provide some educational value to this post) "upstage" is used as a transitive verb to indicate diverting attention from - or outshining - someone. With Elmira being the heavy favorite - and Plattsburgh playing a great game and emerging with the better team - the Cardinals did, in fact, upstage them. Neat eh?

PrezdeJohnson09
11-22-2009, 01:43 PM
0 for 2? Hardly. Upstage was fitting - but here's a complimentary lesson. Elmira was the top rated team per the rankings, they won the conference last season, AND they were the favorite coming into Cardinal Country.

And as an added bonus (to provide some educational value to this post) "upstage" is used as a transitive verb to indicate diverting attention from - or outshining - someone. With Elmira being the heavy favorite - and Plattsburgh playing a great game and emerging with the better team - the Cardinals did, in fact, upstage them. Neat eh?

Heavy favorite???:confused:

Hardly. Elmira lost just as much as Plattsburgh did. RIT is the "favorite" in the ECAC West. Check the coaches poll.

At best the line was even coming into this game and I gave Plattsburgh the edge because they are playing on their home ice.

5 4 Fighting
11-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Not sure what hymm book your singing from but us normal folk check the Websters for definitions:

"Upstage"

adjective-haughtily aloof, supercilious

verb-to behave snobbishly toward

Noun-any stage position to the rear of another

But hey Thanks for the compimentary lesson and educational value...next time I'll pass though.

0 for 4.

ARM
11-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Not that it matters, but I'd say that you are both right regarding the meanings of upstage (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/upstage).

polarbear2
11-22-2009, 07:08 PM
TacoRob:

Self promotion, shame on you!!

TacoRob
11-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes, shame on me for wanting to share my perspective with other hockey fans...In a public forum! What EVER was I thinking? This should be a closed world. :cool:

polarbear2
11-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Yes, shame on me for wanting to share my perspective with other hockey fans...In a public forum! What EVER was I thinking? This should be a closed world. :cool:

No, you should be closed.....we're here for the love of the game, not our own self-interest....

TacoRob
11-22-2009, 07:33 PM
No, you should be closed.....we're here for the love of the game, not our own self-interest....

Self interest? Really? Well that is quite funny indeed. Yes you're right - as I post links to my recaps, I actually hire staff to draft them up ahead of time while basking in the sun on the sands of Palm Beach benefitting from the life changing revenue my blog rakes in.

Yeah, OK. Actually, the truth may frighten you. There is no ulterior motive to my blog (sorry to spoil the surprise) other than wanting to write about hockey and my varied interests, share thoughts with others, and promote...get ready for this...hockey. And - even better - I write because it's enjoyable to me. It's a fun way for me to contribute back to the hockey community; as well as for them to share their thoughts (and of course, if they disagree/agree with anything I may have said)

Here's the best part. People actually come to it because they (gasp) decide to click or not click on the link for that game. They're not subjected to my thoughts solely on Plattsburgh. They're not subjected to idle chit-chat twenty pages in. They have a place they can either check out or not; and a forum they can either participate in or not. Wow that's pretty revolutionary eh?

Wanna know what's even more insane? Nobody pays me for my writing, nobody is charged to visit my blog, and in fact I actually choose to pay for it because it seems to be a shared treat.

Oh! I have committed atrocities by reaching beyond the closed circle and drawing new faces in. How DARE I do such a thing?

If you're not interested in my blogging, that's fine - and truthfully I couldn't care less. Here's a surprise - when a thread comes up about "Plattsburgh vs XXXX" from TacoRob there will likely be a quick thought or two and a recap link. Hopefully, others will contribute thoughts about the game and as soon as the topic is no longer relevant it drops down in the list. Pretty wild stuff.

polarbear2
11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Self interest? Really? Well that is quite funny indeed. Yes you're right - as I post links to my recaps, I actually hire staff to draft them up ahead of time while basking in the sun on the sands of Palm Beach benefitting from the life changing revenue my blog rakes in.

Yeah, OK. Actually, the truth may frighten you. There is no ulterior motive to my blog (sorry to spoil the surprise) other than wanting to write about hockey and my varied interests, share thoughts with others, and promote...get ready for this...hockey. And - even better - I write because it's enjoyable to me. It's a fun way for me to contribute back to the hockey community; as well as for them to share their thoughts (and of course, if they disagree/agree with anything I may have said)

Here's the best part. People actually come to it because they (gasp) decide to click or not click on the link for that game. They're not subjected to my thoughts solely on Plattsburgh. They're not subjected to idle chit-chat twenty pages in. They have a place they can either check out or not; and a forum they can either participate in or not. Wow that's pretty revolutionary eh?

Wanna know what's even more insane? Nobody pays me for my writing, nobody is charged to visit my blog, and in fact I actually choose to pay for it because it seems to be a shared treat.

Oh! I have committed atrocities by reaching beyond the closed circle and drawing new faces in. How DARE I do such a thing?

If you're not interested in my blogging, that's fine - and truthfully I couldn't care less. Here's a surprise - when a thread comes up about "Plattsburgh vs XXXX" from TacoRob there will likely be a quick thought or two and a recap link. Hopefully, others will contribute thoughts about the game and as soon as the topic is no longer relevant it drops down in the list. Pretty wild stuff.

I'll just start a trend..it's called IGNORE

aerogroup2
11-22-2009, 08:14 PM

I'll just start a trend..it's called IGNORE

Give "Taco" a break! If he wants to write on this forum he is free to do so...

It's called freedom of speech and YES, you are free to ignore, too!

polarbear2
11-22-2009, 08:16 PM
and YES, you are free to ignore, too!
It makes me feel much better to know I have received your blessings:eek: