No announcement yet.

Does Brown care about women's hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Does Brown care about women's hockey?

ED= Early Decision, I think

Comment

Originally posted by ccookie79 View Post
      NOT!
      SO!

Shall we continue?
      "Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese." - Joon

Comment

Originally posted by hcky85 View Post
        But then I'm criticized for pointing out that the team should be doing better? The way I see it, having gotten rid of 12 girls who were apparently drunk, fat and stupid, they should be doing a lot better than last year. Having an entire team full of sober players instead of only half should make a big difference during games, or at least that’s what I would expect.

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA! I love this! Ever heard of Dean Wormer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-Dqj4fHmM

Comment

Originally posted by videohockey View Post
          SO!

Shall we continue?
          There's an automatic shut off at 1000 posts per thread, right?

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            You reviewed all 8442 !
            OF COURSE I DID.
            Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by dontyelldad View Post
              That is not a problem with this subject...New threads are a dime a dozen

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                "don't apply ED"....Can you explain that term. It's foreign to me.
                Sorry about that. Sheba is correct. Early Decision is a contract whereby if your application is accepted, you agree to withdraw all other university applications and commit on the spot. The only "outs" would be if they failed to offer sufficient FA to match your Expected Family Contribution or a family situation arose wherby the child would be needed at home (usually medical). Most colleges with ED will calculate that for your before the application deadline if you provide information. This (at least in the US) is enforced in a couple of ways, first of which being that the High School Guidance counselor must sign off on ED applications and agree not to send final transcripts (needed for final admission) to any other school should the admission be offered.

It is a rather unusual arrangement where schools can lock up top talent who really want to go to one specfic school early and a student can get the advantage of showing that level of committment. Generally not recommended for people needing Financial Aid except at the most generous schools (Top Ivy League and NESCAC come to mind here).

Comment

Originally posted by hcky85 View Post
                  But then I'm criticized for pointing out that the team should be doing better? The way I see it, having gotten rid of 12 girls who were apparently drunk, fat and stupid, they should be doing a lot better than last year. Having an entire team full of sober players instead of only half should make a big difference during games, or at least that’s what I would expect.
                  Funny thing is, Brown actually DOES look better than they have in the past few years. They're not banging out a lot of W's, but every other team did not stand still while Brown regrouped. They got better too.

The scores are much lower and closer than they've been in recent years, and that is a worthy accomplishment. Given the head start much of the rest of the ECAC's had, one could postulate that they will become even more competitive in the second half of the season.

There - you've made me talk hockey on this thread. Where is that H.R. Puffinstuf link
                  "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by dontyelldad View Post
                    For the sake of this dead issue, one can only hope!
                    "Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese." - Joon

Comment

Originally posted by videohockey View Post
                      For the sake of this dead issue, one can only hope!
                      Still early in marathon terms. Only one-fifth in at 204. We won't see the finish line.!

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                        There - you've made me talk hockey on this thread.
                        What a concept! I'd be more sympathetic to the cause of those who claim to want only the best for the ladies in the Brown program if they did a little more of that. Brown has had some good efforts this year. Do the Brown "supporters" applaud the players for what they've accomplished and encourage them here? Not much that I've seen. Makes me wonder if some who claim to be related to new players are in reality associated with former players who left under unhappy circumstances. Otherwise, I don't get why there is so much attention to given to the lows while the highs are ignored.

Start a Brown thread, discuss the good as well as the bad, and I'll believe you are really Brown fans like there once was on here. If not, I'll assume this is just a lot of ax-grinding and ignore it accordingly.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          What a concept! I'd be more sympathetic to the cause of those who claim to want only the best for the ladies in the Brown program if they did a little more of that. Brown has had some good efforts this year. Do the Brown "supporters" applaud the players for what they've accomplished and encourage them here? Not much that I've seen. Makes me wonder if some who claim to be related to new players are in reality associated with former players who left under unhappy circumstances. Otherwise, I don't get why there is so much attention to given to the lows while the highs are ignored.

Start a Brown thread, discuss the good as well as the bad, and I'll believe you are really Brown fans like there once was on here. If not, I'll assume this is just a lot of ax-grinding and ignore it accordingly.
                          Brilliant
                          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by ccookie79 View Post
                            "When challenged, none of them admitted to doing the basic research of asking Digit (or the players themselves) about the players on her roster and why they were no longer there - something that anyone researching a prospective team should ask. They didn't help their daughters figure this out, so they have nobody to blame but themselves."

What? The players weren't discarded until AFTER the girls were recruited. Speaking of fact-checking......
                            Except that as has been pointed out the early departure rate at Brown has been significantly higher than the D1 norm over the last 6 year period, not just this year.

Comment

Sorry to bring this thread back up, if dontyelldad had said a couple less "ha"s or if everyone else hadn't added so many side remarks then I wouldn't have needed too. But I had to respond.

“Since you seem to have all of the answers...share with us, why a coach would choose to take a winning program and singlehandedly destroy it in 6 years, as you stated? What would be her motive? Are you stating that all of a sudden, 6 years ago, Digit changed her entire coaching style to purposely trash an otherwise amazing program. Maybe just prior to this "transformation", she was abducted by aliens who somehow brainwashed her to believe that developing losing teams was the way to success.”
                              -gotice

I don’t think an alien abduction is to blame for the state at which the program is in. Nor do I think my reasoning is that implausible.

What I do believe is Digit all of a sudden, 6 years ago, got board with being at Brown. She has wanted to make the move to a scholarship school for awhile now and has applied for different jobs, but unfortunately those schools found other coaches better suited. So I’m not saying she intentionally ruined the program, but rather more like she got caught counting her eggs before they hatched.

Now she’s doing what any person would do if they knew they’re every action was now being questioned by the players on the team, criticized by fans and parents, and scrutinized by the athletic department. That is, try to dodge allegations by putting on a nice little act. And that would be fine but this forum in particular has given off a very strong impression that she needed to use iniquitous diplomacy in order to defend her self as well. If she wants to represent herself falsely to cover up for her own lack of commitment to the program, that’s fine. It’s not alright to misrepresent other people in order to conceal whatever it is she doesn’t want people to know.
                              Last edited by hcky85; 02-26-2010, 12:01 AM.

Comment

“I could be wrong, but is it at all possible that the real reason the program has changed, as people on here have mentioned, is because the competition has changed? As stated, Brown was the first women's program in the country, therefor had the pick of the best players in the early years. Thankfully, women's collegiate hockey has grown to such an extent that there are plenty of choices available for more players at all levels of the collegiate level; DI, DII, DIII and club. As the programs have grown, so has the competition for top players.”
                                -gotice

Yeah it is possible, but then I guess a lot of those 300 wins Digit has don't say much about her coaching if she could only win games when college hockey just wasn't that competitive.
                                Last edited by hcky85; 02-25-2010, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X