Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermont host UMass Nov 24th

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
    Hopefully the Gut collapses... everyone wins.
    You know you love us and would be heart broken if such a thing happened.

The only one of these Turkey Tuesday Games I've been to is last year. What a depressing way to lose a game, with UVM tying it up with less than a minute left and winning in overtime. It was a long drive home.
    #NewMass

Comment

Wow. UMass puts together a solid 60 minutes of hockey, and see what happens. Casey Wellman gets a hat-trick. James Marcou with 5 assists. Just a dominating performance by the Minutemen.

Can't wait to watch the game on Saturday.
      Sons of old Massachusetts,
      Devoted daughters true,
      Bay State, old Bay State,
      We'll give our best to you.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
        James Marcou with 5 assists.
        Ladies and Gentlemen, you're 2009-2010 Hobey Baker winner

Comment

Are there any VT fans left? What happened at the Gutt tonight? Are they still all stuck in that BC thread?

Good game Minutemen! On to the Q.
          More Cowbell!

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
            Ladies and Gentlemen, you're 2009-2010 Hobey Baker winner
            Hobey likes his winners to be goal scorers, not so much assists. Yes, its important to put up points, but in the eyes of the Hobey scoring goals, which Marcou I believe has 4 at this point is most important. He also doesn't play for a traditional hockey powerhouse program, and UMass would certainly need to make possibly the Frozen Four for him to win. Genoway is still my pick.
            Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

I don't know. Watching him play, he's certainly one of the best PLAYERS in college hockey. That is the criteria. If the team crashes and burns in the 2nd half there is no chance he'll be on the Hobey short list but if the team remains in the top tier of the PWR, and if he doesn't get hurt, he'll be there.
              More Cowbell!

Comment

Marcou could do no wrong tonight. UVM drops to 4-5. Sounded like UMass was the quicker more talented team tonight.
                Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                  Marcou could do no wrong tonight. UVM drops to 4-5. Sounded like UMass was the quicker more talented team tonight.
                  Vermont actually looked pretty solid, if not the better team when it was 5 on 5. That being said, the UMass powerplay tonight was extremely good, while Vermont's was horrendous. Dainton also played well in net, robbing I believe Roloff on a breakaway early in the third, which would have made it 4-3. Spillane seemed shaky tonight, but UMass generated must of their scoring on special teams, so you can't really fault him much. I think if UVM had stayed out of the box, got a few more chances, and maybe had Madore start, this game would have been turned around.
                  Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

the one thing you can,t do is take stupid penalities(lazy) against Umass or you'll find the puck in the back of the net. without a doubt--the best powerplay i've seen at the gut since perrin and st. louis.it seemed everything Umass did was at full speed and uvm seemed to slow down when entering the zone. hat's off to Umass.where is all the speed uvm is suppose to have.they continually got beat to all the pucks. Roloff demostrated skating at full speed can do on his nifty goal.with all the speed uvm has they should enter the zone with their hair on fire.oh well--shake it off and come out guns ablazing at northeastern.

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
                      Hobey likes his winners to be goal scorers, not so much assists. Yes, its important to put up points, but in the eyes of the Hobey scoring goals, which Marcou I believe has 4 at this point is most important. He also doesn't play for a traditional hockey powerhouse program, and UMass would certainly need to make possibly the Frozen Four for him to win. Genoway is still my pick.
                      Genoway is out with a concussion so he will fall behind in generating points necessary to be a Hobey finalist (I am guessing he will definitely make the 1st go round though). Unfortunate as I never want to see a kid get hurt - especially how he did getting hit from behind by the St Cloud player.

Marcou had a great game tonight, sounds like he is having many great games. Wellman is the beneficiary and showed it tonight.

As far as Vermont playing...very disappointing to say the least. Watching the UMass PP move the puck - precision with a sense of purpose. Looks like those guys actually practice together and then execute in games.

Vermont PP and heck, in general, the whole game, it looks like maybe these guys need to sit in the locker room and introduce themselves to each other. Lost track of how many icing calls occurred with sloppy up the ice passes. Some of them came not even in the vicinity of the blade of the forward skating player. And this is 10 games into the season. Wow.

UMass showed me something tonight. They will be a force as long as they don't get all full of themselves and stop working....
                      Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Vermont actually looked pretty solid, if not the better team when it was 5 on 5. That being said, the UMass powerplay tonight was extremely good, while Vermont's was horrendous. Dainton also played well in net, robbing I believe Roloff on a breakaway early in the third, which would have made it 4-3. Spillane seemed shaky tonight, but UMass generated must of their scoring on special teams, so you can't really fault him much. I think if UVM had stayed out of the box, got a few more chances, and maybe had Madore start, this game would have been turned around.
                        Yep. If Vermont had only scored 5 more goals they'd have won.
                        Sons of old Massachusetts,
                        Devoted daughters true,
                        Bay State, old Bay State,
                        We'll give our best to you.

Comment

I'm not sure we were watching the same game.

I agree that UVM actually played a decent game, and they certianly aren't 4 goals worse than UMass, but this game was about more than power plays. UVM couldn't get the puck out of their own zone for large stretches of the game, as the UMass forecheck was as effective as I've ever seen it. The first 5-10 minutes were back and forth, pretty even, but after that the Minuteman speed and depth took over, as did their top end talent. They had the best 2-3 players on the ice tonight, and would have won this game regardless of the PP. I also thought Spillane actually played well, nothing he could do on several perfect setups.

Besides, special team is an integral part of the game, and the officiating was pretty good tonight (despite TB's presence). UMass was clearly the better team tonight IMO.
                          It's easy to root for a winner...

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
                            Genoway is out with a concussion so he will fall behind in generating points necessary to be a Hobey finalist (I am guessing he will definitely make the 1st go round though). Unfortunate as I never want to see a kid get hurt - especially how he did getting hit from behind by the St Cloud player.
                            Genoway was hit from behind against the Huskies and seemed to suffer a lower back injury. He didn't make the trip to Denver, but I think he will be in the lineup for the Sioux's next games. He will be a crucial part in the Miami game if he does indeed play.
                            Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Genoway was hit from behind against the Huskies and seemed to suffer a lower back injury. He didn't make the trip to Denver, but I think he will be in the lineup for the Sioux's next games. He will be a crucial part in the Miami game if he does indeed play.
                              We didn't miss him this past weekend at all.
                              Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                                Whats the word from the better half of the Umass teams?
                                I stand by what I said in post #1, just now I have proof.

By far the best offensive team I have seen all year. What was a very tight game was turned one sided in just a few minutes. First the 3 on 1 goal to tie the game on the no tripping call and then a tripping call in the same spot on the ice to set up the lead goal and Vermont never got back on track even thou there was plenty of time left. From then on Vermont seemed to try to make individual plays and got away from working together and with the exception of the Vock breakaway never got many chances the rest of the way.

Congrats Umass your team played excellent tonight.
                                New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Working...
                                X