X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean Up College Hockey!

Players being severely injured.

Meaningless suspensions.

Poor sportsmanship on display nearly every night.

This behavior and attitude is not tolerated in any other NCAA sport.

Why is it tolerated for hockey?

It is time to clean up the game.

Want to fight? First offense - 5 game suspension. Second offense - season-long suspension.

Checking from behind or intent to injure? First offense - 5 game suspension or twice as long as the injured player is unable to play, whichever is longer. Second offense - season-long suspension.

Start penalizing the tom-foolery that happens after nearly every whistle when the goaltender freezes the puck.

As a Sioux fan, it is inexcusable what happened to Bina a few years ago, to LaPoint after that and now Genoway. And that is just my team.
    A Fan of the UND Fighting Sioux!! Sioux the NCAA!

Re: Clean Up College Hockey!

Great ideas! They should implement this in the NHL, too- I can barely even stand to watch it anymore, except for the playoffs. The regular season is full of staged fights, intended to draw in more fans.

Frankly, I'd rather not attract those kinds of fans. They'd be better off paying to go watch wrestling or boxing.

Comment

I'll take overreaction for $1000, Alex.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Take Off Your Skate And Stab Somebody!!!

Comment

Originally posted by siouxinminny View Post
          Checking from behind or intent to injure? First offense - 5 game suspension or twice as long as the injured player is unable to play, whichever is longer. Second offense - season-long suspension.
          Very difficult to judge if an act is done with an intent to injure. If a guy drops his gloves then starts to punch someone then yes. But sometimes a hit from behind or incidental contact to the head such as shoulder to the head is unintentional. Sometimes these things are bust left up to a jury to decide.

Martin's hit from behind on Genoway did look to be intentional attempt to injure him. In such circumstances I could see a player filing assault charges and maybe even winning a claim for money damages from a sympathetic jury if any serious permanent injury resulted.
          "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Checking from behind or intent to injure? First offense - 5 game suspension or twice as long as the injured player is unable to play, whichever is longer.
            Obviously you're upset about Genoway, but in no way would this ever be feasable. Say instead of it being a star player, a 4th line scrub got injured. The kid barely ever dresses and might continue to convienently be "unable to play" so that the other team is without one of their key players.

Comment

As a Sioux fan, it is inexcusable what happened to Bina a few years ago, to LaPoint after that and now Genoway. And that is just my team.
              Yes, yes it is. Just yours. There are 57 other teams that aren't yours. Don't act as if your problems are everybody else's.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Why doesn't hockey just act like basketball players with a few exchanged words and a slap to the other ones chest?

Or football players who "hurts their shoulder" and then have a go-cart take them to the locker room.

or soccer where you get a red card for tripping someone.

This is hockey lady...just because a few kids got hurt on your team doesn't mean they have to stop the world. And here's a hint for you - College Hockey is the only league that doesn't allow fighting in hockey. You have a long way to go.

Comment

Want to fight? First offense - 5 game suspension. Second offense - season-long suspension.
                  no one actually gets hurt in fights, heck its more like a hug-fest that they stop instantly
                  spread the love
                  the rest of your points are just as silly, they're already doing their best to stop hitting from behind and other dangerous plays. Players need to be more aware and not get into stupid situations where they could be injured, sometimes you just can't stop. I highly doubt theres much intent to injure another player in the college game

Every team gets injuries, stop blaming other teams/players for finishing checks and playing hard
                  The color of illusion is perfect blue
                  Chase: What Matters.

Comment

A Sioux fan started this? Now I've seen everything!
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

"heck its more like a hug-fest that they stop instantly"

Unless you are one of the classy individuals in the WCHA, like Radke, Grotting, Schack, Bruess, or Testwuide, who like to punch players down on the ice.

Such nonsense is not tolerated in the Thunder Island Hockey League. Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson visited once (I was unaware of the invite) and Jackson is such a piece of dung, that he started throwing at Mike Fairbourne after tackling him to the ice. Artest went into the stands, which is really just Randy Newman playing the piano and singing about what he sees, plus whatever Missing Links happen to be watching that day. Artest, lacking any real courage, went after Newman, only to have old Randy smack him around. Jackson was throw in the box, where a fan (one of the Missing Links) fell into. Jackson threw one punch, broke his hand, and then the Missing Link fed him a flurry of rights. We put them (Artest and Jackson) in my little Voldemort cave boat and it brought them to the Island of Misfit Thugs, also known as the NBA.
                      Last edited by jay ferguson; 11-19-2009, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FerrisStateHockeyFan View Post
                        Why doesn't hockey just act like basketball players with a few exchanged words and a slap to the other ones chest?

Or football players who "hurts their shoulder" and then have a go-cart take them to the locker room.

or soccer where you get a red card for tripping someone.

This is hockey lady...just because a few kids got hurt on your team doesn't mean they have to stop the world. And here's a hint for you - College Hockey is the only league that doesn't allow fighting in hockey. You have a long way to go.
                        "lady"....nice....
                        Gopher Sports

The official UND Fan Website

Go Gophs!

Comment

Players being severely injured.

Meaningless suspensions.

This behavior and attitude is not tolerated in any other NCAA sport.

Why is it tolerated for hockey?

It is time to clean up the game.

Start penalizing the tom-foolery that happens after nearly every whistle when the goaltender freezes the puck.

Your talking about fan behavior at the Ralph, right?
                          Go Pioneers!

Comment

Are you a UND fan? Seriously?
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I'll skip the part about the injuries, I have nothing to add that's not already been said.

What will the penalty/suspension be for every coach who gives a physical display to the officials when he disagrees with the call? Or will it only apply to certain gestures when used by certain teams' coaches? How good are the Siouxage's assistant coaches? How quickly are you ready to learn the answer to that question?

As for the "tom-foolery" near the nets, how do you not see the stupidity of what you just said? You don't want the forwards to play until the whistle? If the goalie just touched the puck, and the attacker is right there, is he not supposed to make an attempt that might earn his team a goal, no matter how unlikely the chances?

Or are you talking about the scrum that happens after the forward makes an attempt at the puck? Should the defenders not protect their goalie when someone's trying to knock the puck out of his mitt?

Are you completely bereft of foresight about the potential outcomes of your suggestions?
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                              X