2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

I have attended 5 Frozen Fours including 2007 (St Louis) and 2009 (DC). This website was quite helpful in getting information from the locals in the months ahead as we planned our trip.

Now it is time for the fans from Michigan State, Michigan, and Bowling Green to step up and help college hockey fans from around the country as they come to our backyard.

In the upcoming weeks and months, I hope this thread will help you plan your trip, as similar threads helped me in the past few years.

From airport and travel info, hotels, venue info, and of course...local entertainment, I fully offer the resources of the local fans. Ford Field is literally out my front door...and I know there are about a hundred people on this board that live in the area, so please, let the questions begin! Detroit has been host to all of sports greatest spectacles over the last decade, and the Frozen Four will be the icing on the cake (pun very much intended).

Quick references..

www.visitdetroit.com
    www.fordfield.com
    MICHIGAN STATE
    1966:1986:2007

Re: 2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

Another good website:
    http://www.insidedetroit.org/

They do some good tours of Detroit- interesting to see the remaining Art Deco architechture that is around Detroit.

For those of you who think there is nothing downtown, here's a list of +100 bars and restaurants in downtown Detroit and many of the very close neighborhoods.

For the hotels, I will remind the govenment workers that the hotel rates for them in Downtown Detroit are very, very good. Probably better than the NCAA rates, so IF you are an employee, ask for the rate.

Come with an open mind- you'll have a lot more fun that way.

Comment

I am more concerned as to whether Michigan will still be open for business next March!

Comment

Sprts have saves Michigan, both literally and metaphorically. Since 2004 we have hosted the NBA Finals (twice), Stanley Cup Finals (twice), Super Bowl, World Series, MLB All Star Game, Ryder Cup, and the NCAA Final Four.

We dont have the best economy, or the greatest looking cities...but please judge us by the quality of the people you meet, as I am sure you will be greatly surprised. Michigan is alive and strong thanks in part to our great sports tradition, and we are ready to host the college hockey world.
        MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

The Bemidji State Beavers are working hard for a return trip. The gopers were not the test, that will come in Grand Forks ND next weekend when we play Miami OH and OSU. Last year the team celebrated when they made the frozen four this year the goal is much higher and I hope to be there cheering them on. GO BEAVERS!
          BEAVER FEVER!

Comment

Originally posted by bsubuffs33 View Post
            The Bemidji State Beavers are working hard for a return trip. The gopers were not the test, that will come in Grand Forks ND next weekend when we play Miami OH and OSU. Last year the team celebrated when they made the frozen four this year the goal is much higher and I hope to be there cheering them on. GO BEAVERS!
            It's amazing what 2 wins in the national tournament will do isn't it? Yes or no is Sunday's game the first time the Beavers have won at the Mooch?

Either way I'm happy Detroit and the state Michigan is getting these type of events.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
              We dont have the best economy, or the greatest looking cities...but please judge us by the quality of the people you meet, as I am sure you will be greatly surprised. Michigan is alive and strong thanks in part to our great sports tradition, and we are ready to host the college hockey world.
              While I appreciate the offers of help planning a trip, I hope you realize getting people very excited about this year's FF is a tough sell. It's not so much traveling to the state of Michigan that is a problem; it may not be my favorite, but I've enjoyed trips to Lansing & Ann Arbor for the college hockey showcase before. Selling us on Detroit is a little tougher, but where you're really fighting an uphill battle is the venue- it's a freaking football stadium, and there's an awful lot of people who aren't too thrilled to be watching a hockey championship in a football stadium. I'll be there with the family as usual, but we're all sort of feeling like it's more an obligation not to break our attendance streaks more than something we're really looking forward to this year.

All that said, anyone have thoughts on what suburb/not-too-far-away city that would be reasonable to stay in and not a bad drive to Ford Field? My parents usually make the reservation for them, us [adult] kids, and my grandparents, but my mom's determined everything near the arena is booked, overpriced, requiring upfront payment, or some combination of the three... and since we're not sold on Detroit, we're probably looking to stay elsewhere and just drive in for the games.
              Last edited by The Hallucination; 11-18-2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EZ Winner View Post
                I am more concerned as to whether Michigan will still be open for business next March!
                Michigan will be open for business, and if you come here you will have a fine time
                "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
                  All that said, anyone have thoughts on what suburb/not-too-far-away city that would be reasonable to stay in and not a bad drive to Ford Field? My parents usually make the reservation for them, us [adult] kids, and my grandparents, but my mom's determined everything near the arena is booked, overpriced, requiring upfront payment, or some combination of the three... and since we're not sold on Detroit, we're probably looking to stay elsewhere and just drive in for the games.
                  If you have all of your ID in order, consider going to Windsor. The drive across the border isn't long, and there are lots of hotel options near the tunnel or bridge. Besides, the exchange rate is usually at least a little in our favor. One option, if you are the B & B sort: http://www.kirksbandb.com

There really isn't anything else close by to downtown Detroit, IMO
                  "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                  - Mark Twain

Comment

[QUOTE=slyhippo;4471403]It's amazing what 2 wins in the national tournament will do isn't it? Yes or no is Sunday's game the first time the Beavers have won at the Mooch?

Whats amazing is someone could still talk trash about the gophers vs. Beavers after Sundays game. How many goalies did the gophs play?

Its pretty hard to gage a win against a program when its in one of their first couple of years in D1 like the last time they played. Yes or No who played @ Northern Michigan tougher the Beavers or #1 rated Miami?

Yes or No did Air Force play well in last years Tourney whom the Beavers swept this year convincingly?

You Rodents keep claiming we haven't played anyone when we have and still have an above .500 record against quality teams.

Cant say the same about the gophs can you....
                    BEAVER FEVER!

Comment

I agree that detroit will be a tough sell...but let me say this: Detroit is one of the oldest cities in the country. If you like history, we have that...including The Henry Ford/Greenfield Village, America's greatest history attraction.

We have top level art museums, science center, library system, and culture galore. We have the highest grosssing theater in the nation (outsells radio city music hall). The Eastern Market district of the city is the larget urban parmers market in the nation, and april is one of the most exciting times there. There is plenty to do here...but people have to come judging us by what they experience,not the size of our buildings or what they hear on the news.

As for the venue and the frozen four itself...I do not know any specific details, but I do know that the frozen four festival that accompanies this years event is going to be the largest yet. I know people working on various productions and I really think this will be beyond anything experienced at frozen fours of the past.

Ford Field is widely considered one of the top stadiums in the NFL. It has hosted top concerts, wrestelmania, and other high profile events. Having attended the Final Four this past April I promise you that they will spare absolutely no expense in providing the best experience possible. Although the venue may not appease everyone, at worst the event willl draw some much needed attention to the game we love.

Oh and as for nearby suburbs...look at Roseville. It is located Northeast of the city with a dozen hotels and all the stuff that goes along with dull suburbia. It is 10 miles to Ford Field, about a 15 minute drive.
                      Last edited by STATEdude3; 11-18-2009, 10:18 PM.
                      MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

i was considering the ritz carlton in dearborn.

yay, or nay?
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                          I agree that detroit will be a tough sell...but let me say this: Detroit is one of the oldest cities in the country. If you like history, we have that...including The Henry Ford/Greenfield Village, America's greatest history attraction.
                          I'm going to reserve judgement on the #1 ranking until I visit, but Greenfield Village is definitely on my group's wish list.

We're considering staying at or near Greenfield Village, then driving into the city for the games. With that in mind, does anyone have hotel recommendations?

BTW, our group's research is consistent with what The Hallucination reports -- the deals downtown just aren't attractive. We had originally intended to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn a block away from Ford Field. We really wanted that to work. Rooms were available, but we just couldn't accept the deal offered.

I'm guessing that many others have had similar experiences. As such, any and all suburban lodging recommendations will be much appreciated. The Roseville comment is a good start. Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Originally posted by alfablue
                          Come with an open mind - you'll have a lot more fun that way.
                          Agree 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            i was considering the ritz carlton in dearborn.

yay, or nay?
                            A good choice too. near to the mall. A nice hotel, and safe neighborhood. also near Fairlane, Henry Ford's home, which you can tour.
                            I'd vote for Windsor also, unless you want to drive 30 minutes and then there are some other good options, but within closer drive time windsor/ Dearborn are the best.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              A good choice too. near to the mall. A nice hotel, and safe neighborhood. also near Fairlane, Henry Ford's home, which you can tour.
                              The historic Dearborn Inn, now a Marriott property, is reporting a pre-pay rate of $90 per night and a leisure rate of $129. It's pretty much next door to Greenfield Village.
                              - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X