2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

I'm going to be there just for the Thursday games and stay the night and fly out Friday morning. I'm looking for a hotel with shuttle service to both FF and the airport. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Go Pioneers!

Comment

Check the airport hotels...most of them run regular daytime shuttles downtown. I am on my phone right now,but check in tomorrow after I have my 50 pages of paperwork out and I'll find a place that will fit your needs for a Thursday only trip.
      MICHIGAN STATE
      1966:1986:2007

Comment

golf courses open?

any UM students want to take me out on that fine alister mackenzie course? i'll buy lunch. (since no oakland hills members have responded to my older begs to host )
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Badgers1 View Post
          Staying at the Westin Book downtown. Are we close enough and safe enough to walk to Ford Field? Figured before the games wouldn't be an issue, but wasn't sure with the late finish of Thursday's games. Or would we be better off in a taxi?
          As mentioned before, that is where we will be staying, and will be walking to and from the games. And running in the morning.

Onion- the question of safety is the question of the unknown. If you are not familiar with an area, and get pounded by preceptions that are untrue, it's natural to ask. But if YOU continue to perpetuate the preceptions without actually seeing it, that's just being ignorant.

It's safe- remember this is the 4th national event that will be held in downtown Detoit in the last few years- All Star Game, Superbowl, Final 4, and now the Frozen Four.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            golf courses open?

any UM students want to take me out on that fine alister mackenzie course? i'll buy lunch. (since no oakland hills members have responded to my older begs to host )
            I'm not aware of any being open, but this weekend's weather is supposed to be pretty darned nice. As in 70's and 80's.

I'd volunteer as an Alum to take you out, but have a Posters game to attend to instead.
            (it's a fun course, but has been about 10 years since I've played there)

Comment

MagnessMan, I have looked over my hosting binder and here is my suggestion...The airport hotels usually have shuttle services to downtown. I would suggest the Greenfield Inn (Best Western) in Dearborn. It is 10 minutes to the airport and 10 minutes to downtown. They do shuttle service to both places and will pick you up downtown with arrangements made ahead. If you want to spend a little more money, the Westin Airport hotel offers the same service. Many of the hotels in the airport area offer downtown rides according to our conventioneer guide, but I would suggest calling ahead before you book a room to make sure.
              MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                As mentioned before, that is where we will be staying, and will be walking to and from the games. And running in the morning.

Onion- the question of safety is the question of the unknown. If you are not familiar with an area, and get pounded by preceptions that are untrue, it's natural to ask. But if YOU continue to perpetuate the preceptions without actually seeing it, that's just being ignorant.

It's safe- remember this is the 4th national event that will be held in downtown Detoit in the last few years- All Star Game, Superbowl, Final 4, and now the Frozen Four.
                Every city has its scary parts. The part of Denver I stayed in a few years ago is probably worse than any area of Detroit I would find myself in. I've been in Detroit and its not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                  Forget the debate on whether or not Ford Field is a good idea. When most fan's questions center around "safety", maybe it is the City of Detroit that is a bad idea and not the stadium.
                  Eh, I think this is a little harsh, and I've been a big critic of this Frozen Four- honestly, I didn't really get excited for this trip until the Badgers made the FF, and normally I look forward to it regardless. However, it's the crap venue (sorry, I still have zero faith that hockey in a football stadium is going to be near as good as hockey in a hockey arena) for the most part; the less-than-awesome reputation of the city just adds to it bit. Fan questions centering on safety are based on the reputation of the city- it doesn't mean we can't safely attend the event.

I'm really not that terribly concerned about safety. We'll do our best to stay out of bad areas, just like any large, unfamiliar city. That means we generally don't roam far outside where we've previously researched to be a good arena/downtown/safe area. We have chosen to stay in the suburbs largely based on what will accomodate our group's interests/needs- we're perhaps a little less comfortable choosing a good downtown location in Detroit than elsewhere, but over the past several years we end up in a suburb about 50% of the time anyway.

Comment

For those that missed it a couple pages back...here is a guide we put together for those that may be interested in a dining/entertainment guide.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2nw2bznymjn

ALSO...

Inside Detroit is a great group that promotes all things Detroit. Their website is loaded with hotel/restaurant/entertainment information, tours, and travel suggestions. Visiting their website may help many of you with your planning.

Their welcome center is located at 1253 Woodward, and has a ton of information about things to do and see and tour information. It is open from 11-6 Mon-Sat.

http://www.insidedetroit.org/
                    Last edited by STATEdude3; 03-30-2010, 09:25 AM.
                    MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

In addition to the regular bar scene downtown, here are the official gathering locations for each frozen four schools:

• Angelina Italian Bistro: Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers
                      • Bookies Bar and Grill: Boston College Eagles
                      • Detroit Beer Co. University of Wisconsin Badgers
                      • Hockeytown CafĂ©: Miami of Ohio Redhawks
                      Last edited by STATEdude3; 03-30-2010, 09:56 AM.
                      MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Here's another good resource for what's going on in the Metro Detroit area- http://www.metrotimes.com/

If you find one while walking around, pick it up- it's a weekly that covers all of the Metro Detroit area.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                          In addition to the regular bar scene downtown, here are the official gathering locations for each frozen four schools:

• Angelina Italian Bistro: Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers
                          • Bookies Bar and Grill: Boston College Eagles
                          • Detroit Beer Co. University of Wisconsin Badgers
                          • Hockeytown CafĂ©: Miami of Ohio Redhawks
                          Note to self, stay away from the Detroit Beer Co.
                          I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
                            That is a bad idea too...they are the best microbrewery in Detroit, in my opinion. Have a Detroit Red and the shepherds pie and you will leave happy even if your team doesnt!
                            MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                              That is a bad idea too...they are the best microbrewery in Detroit, in my opinion. Have a Detroit Red and the shepherds pie and you will leave happy even if your team doesnt!
                              Let me start over:

Hi, I'm originally from Minnesota.

We were talking about wandering around DT Rochester. Maybe heading into Clawson. Not sure. All I know is I'll have a couple of thirsty boys with me. Plus, I'm doing everyone a favor keeping them away from the 'Sconnies as much as possible.
                              Last edited by melmac; 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM.
                              I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
                                Yeah, someone might have pity and actually buy you a beer! :-P

I'm so glad the Badgers made it. I was a grad student in '06 and couldn't afford the tickets (forget lucky enough to get one of the 12 "student" tickets). Now I've taken a small step up in the world as a postdoc and looking forward to our second drive up from Cleveland.
                                Originally posted by Tiggsy
                                I wouldn't hesitate to watch the game if it was shown on Lifetime or QVC, both channels which I may put slighly above [BigTen Network] at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X