2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

For what it's worth....for those flying into Detroit Metro from another (non-Delta) airline hub...I was advised to check into booking 2 one-way tickets rather than a R/T ticket. Saved $120 booking one-ways with Detroit and Charlotte (my home) as a layover rather than a final destination. I checked other cities (Boston, DC, NYC, MSP) and it seems to be the same.

My R/T was going to be over $300 to fly from Charlotte-Detroit. Booked a CLT-DTW-Milwaukee leg for $86 and DTW-CLT-Orlando leg for $88. As long as you get on the plane at your first destination, your seat will be honored.

Hope this helps someone!

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
      Here's the big question: Is there a place where I can buy a Red Wings t-shirt with Patrick Eaves' name on the back?
      The guy who owns the Detroit Locker Room (i cant believe i forgot his name) has a wide variety of items in his store. I'm sure he has the connections to custom work and could have it ready for you when you arrive in town for a reasonable price. His contact information is below...if that doesnt work, check out the gift shop at Hockeytown Cafe or the Hockeytown Authentics store in Troy, about 20 mintues from Downtown.

detroitlockerroom@gmail.com
      MICHIGAN STATE
      1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
        The guy who owns the Detroit Locker Room (i cant believe i forgot his name) has a wide variety of items in his store. I'm sure he has the connections to custom work and could have it ready for you when you arrive in town for a reasonable price. His contact information is below...if that doesnt work, check out the gift shop at Hockeytown Cafe or the Hockeytown Authentics store in Troy, about 20 mintues from Downtown.

detroitlockerroom@gmail.com
        Awesome. Tx

Comment

As for the suburbs...I can answer questions about traveling to and from them, but that is about it.
          Traveling to and from suburbs question: Would it be a reasonable plan to take a taxi between a hotel in Dearborn and Ford Field (about 10 miles/17 minutes by car)?

(We had originally planned on driving, but now that Wisconsin has made the tourney, it seems possible that at least on Saturday no one will want to be designated driver.)

Comment

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
            Traveling to and from suburbs question: Would it be a reasonable plan to take a taxi between a hotel in Dearborn and Ford Field (about 10 miles/17 minutes by car)?

(We had originally planned on driving, but now that Wisconsin has made the tourney, it seems possible that at least on Saturday no one will want to be designated driver.)
            What hotel are you staying at? It is reasonable, but most of the Dearborn hotels have shuttles to downtown events and even courtesy vans that will drop you off and pick you up when you are good and tired.
            MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

What hotel are you staying at? It is reasonable, but most of the Dearborn hotels have shuttles to downtown events and even courtesy vans that will drop you off and pick you up when you are good and tired.
              +1 for all the hotels. My parents are stying at the Omni on the water, and they have a shuttle to and from the game. Pretty cool.

Still- I wonder how hard it would be to have one person sober enough...

(and that's a LONG taxi ride around here)

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                +1 for all the hotels. My parents are stying at the Omni on the water, and they have a shuttle to and from the game. Pretty cool.

Taxi from the airport to downtown is a standard $40...Fairlane Towne Center in Dearborn is generally $20/25 depending on the company. I think that is reasonable when split up.
                MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Taxi from the airport to downtown is a standard $40...Fairlane Towne Center in Dearborn is generally $20/25 depending on the company. I think that is reasonable when split up.
                  It will be difficult to have one person sober enough because our group has grown beyond two cars; with a multi-generation group, the sober older folks will probably go home early in one car, and yeah, if us younger people stay downtown to drink, probably no one is going to want to stay sober enough if there's serious celebration or sorrow-drowning going on. The boys consume massive quantities of alcohol, and while I'm not a terrible lightweight for a female it just doesn't take as much to put me over the legal limit.

But that sounds like a reasonable cab fare. Any specific suggestions on reputable taxi companies to haul our drunk butts around so I can program a number in my cell phone before I'm standing around in Detroit at 2am wondering how I'm going to get back to Dearborn?

Oh, and we're at Townplace Suites, I think it is? Some sort of Marriott-affiliated suites hotel, near that Fairlane Town Center
                  Last edited by The Hallucination; 03-29-2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

It will be difficult to have one person sober enough because our group has grown beyond two cars; with a multi-generation group, the sober older folks will probably go home early in one car, and yeah, if us younger people stay downtown to drink, probably no one is going to want to stay sober enough if there's serious celebration or sorrow-drowning going on. The boys consume massive quantities of alcohol, and while I'm not a terrible lightweight for a female it just doesn't take as much to put me over the legal limit.

But that sounds like a reasonable cab fare. Any specific suggestions on reputable taxi companies to haul our drunk butts around so I can program a number in my cell phone before I'm standing around in Detroit at 2am wondering how I'm going to get back to Dearborn?

Oh, and we're at Townplace Suites, I think it is? Some sort of Marriott-affiliated suites hotel, near that Fairlane Town Center
                    I am not sure about a shuttle for that particular hotel. I'm sure they can tell you with a quick call, or when you check in.

As for taxi's from Dearborn...US Taxi (313) 732-3440 and the always reliable Checker (313) 963-7000 are the two companies I have used. Both should have comparable rates. Checker has vans available. If you call an hour in advance they should be able to accommodate your larger group.
                    MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Can't help on the taxis- never really use them. Well, we use MetroCar, which is a limo service. Not as cheap as a cab, but they are good.

Anyway, I know the Suites- my office used to be in the same area of the Town Center. Not much over there within walking distance. But you are pretty close to the Henry Ford, which I would fully recommend. You are right next to Ford's world HQ there, too.

If you are up early, there's a Marathon, Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k that are starting and ending in Dearborn on the 10th. http://www.martianmarathon.com/

But it's in the morning. While you are sleeping off the night before...

Comment

Hotel tip for those willing to have a short commute in. I booked through Priceline, and got the Hyatt Regency in Dearborn for $50 a night ($178.68 total with taxes for the 3 nights). Bid on the Dearborn zone, 4 star category (there is only one other hotel in that category that is possibile in 4 star range...a Marriott that would be even better to get). 2 things with Priceline is you have bought the room no matter what (no refunds, cancellations, ect) and the bedding is only guaranteed double occupancy/2 people (I've only run into a problem once where we could not get 2 beds and usually throw a blow up mattress in the car just in case for the kids).

Comment

Staying at the Westin Book downtown. Are we close enough and safe enough to walk to Ford Field? Figured before the games wouldn't be an issue, but wasn't sure with the late finish of Thursday's games. Or would we be better off in a taxi?

Comment

Forget the debate on whether or not Ford Field is a good idea. When most fan's questions center around "safety", maybe it is the City of Detroit that is a bad idea and not the stadium.
                            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

The Book-Caddy is a great,historic hotel...enjoy your stay! It is a safe location and is a safe to walk to and from Ford Field. If you don't want to walk, take the free shuttle for Big City Bar and Grill, it is located right across the street inside the Holiday Inn Express.
                              MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

The Book-Caddy is a great,historic hotel...enjoy your stay! It is a safe location and is a safe to walk to and from Ford Field. If you don't want to walk, take the free shuttle for Big City Bar and Grill, it is located right across the street inside the Holiday Inn Express.
                                Thanks for the tip on the shuttle, I know the Westin said they didn't have a shuttle from their place. Sounds like maybe that bar might be a better hangout as well then the bars at the Westin, from what I've read about the Westin bars.

Comment

Working...
                                X