2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

I'm staying at the Doubletree downtown. Should that be alright? Its seems close to the stadium.
    BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES: 2010 2008 2001 1949

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
      I have attended 5 Frozen Fours including 2007 (St Louis) and 2009 (DC). This website was quite helpful in getting information from the locals in the months ahead as we planned our trip.

Now it is time for the fans from Michigan State, Michigan, and Bowling Green to step up and help college hockey fans from around the country as they come to our backyard.

In the upcoming weeks and months, I hope this thread will help you plan your trip, as similar threads helped me in the past few years.

From airport and travel info, hotels, venue info, and of course...local entertainment, I fully offer the resources of the local fans. Ford Field is literally out my front door...and I know there are about a hundred people on this board that live in the area, so please, let the questions begin! Detroit has been host to all of sports greatest spectacles over the last decade, and the Frozen Four will be the icing on the cake (pun very much intended).

Quick references..

www.visitdetroit.com
      www.fordfield.com
      Thanks so much for posting this thread and all who contributed to it. A great resource for guys like me who are blindly flying into Detroit looking to have a good time

Comment

Originally posted by jamie9248922 View Post
        I'm staying at the Doubletree downtown. Should that be alright? Its seems close to the stadium.
        Doubletree on Lafayette is just fine. You can walk to the stadium and Greektown, or there is a people mover station right at Fort and Cass, which is one block from your hotel. It goes clockwise around the city so three short stops and you are at Grand Circus Park, which would be the closest station to the stadium.

http://www.thepeoplemover.com/map_interactive.html

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
          For those fans that were in Denver two years ago, there will not be any cool Frozen banners on the Detroit streets that were found in the Mile High City in 2008.
          Come on, are you telling me they were already stolen? Detroit is awesome.
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Looking for something to do Friday, April 9th?

You are all officially invited to the free Opening Day Block Party in Grand Circus Park, downtown Detroit, just a couple blocks from the stadiums!

Here’s the official press release:

START

It’s Detroit’s annual spring ritual and the biggest party of the year, The Detroit Tigers Home Opener.

Join 97.1 The Ticket for the 97.1 The Ticket Opening Day Block Party on Friday, April 9 in Grand Circus Park, downtown Detroit. The event runs from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Enjoy live music from Sgt. Rock before the game, food and beverages in the View and Brew Pub, and get autographs from Tigers Alumni players.

Stay around and watch the game on the big screen, visit the Vendor Village displays and hang out to hear Band Perry on the Music Stage immediately following the game.

END

The band that is playing before the game is Sgt Rock and they are a local high energy rock cover type band and they absolutely kick a**! I have seen them in local bars before and they draw a big crowd for sure!

The lead guitar guy, his name is Animal and he is awesome.

The band that is playing after the game looks to be a newer younger group called The Band Perry. Looks to be a Country / Southern Rock / Soul band...

Check out the cutie lead singer... http://www.myspace.com/thebandperry. Maybe I'll see if they need a roadie!

If the weather cooperates Friday, downtown is the place to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
              Come on, are you telling me they were already stolen? Detroit is awesome.
              Do you really think the police on the street carrying machine guns would allow that to happen? Oh wait, that's New York City.... nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                That's because the muggers come up and say "Hi my name is Steve. Now that we know each other, give me your money!"
                i can't find on youtube the clip of steve martin getting money out of an ATM in L.A. Story.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

best way to get to the hotels ? cab vs. airport limo

prices if anyone has it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey023 View Post

According to the Detroit Metro Airport site, a luxury sedan service will cost you around $52 to downtown Detroit, and a cab will cost you around $43 to downtown Detroit.

Check out this link for more info and phone numbers to each. Scroll down to the 'Luxury Sedan & Taxi Services' section...

http://www.metroairport.com/transportation/

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey023 View Post

Here are a few more that I found to check into for a ride from the Detroit Metro Airport to downtown:

Metro Airport Taxi:
                      http://www.metroairporttaxi.org/rates.htm
                      Estimated cost = $38

DTW Taxi:
                      http://www.dtwtaxi.com/rates.html
                      Estimated cost = $55

Detroit Metro Service:
                      http://www.metroairportservice.com/t...ion/rates.html
                      Estimated cost = $45

DTW Sedan:
                      http://www.dtwsedan.com/Rates.html
                      Estimated cost = $55

I have personally never used any of the services above and these are just what I found on the net.

Check each out and see what they say.

Comment

Phooey on the "official" NCAA bar for the Badgers! We've got Cheli's Chili bar. Why the hell would the NCAA put the Badgers at some random bar when we've got a bar owned by an alum & 1983 men's National Champion IN HOCKEY. Hmmm....I guess Cheli didn't pony up enough cash knowing we'd come to his bar anyway!

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...033110aaa.html
                        Originally posted by Tiggsy
                        I wouldn't hesitate to watch the game if it was shown on Lifetime or QVC, both channels which I may put slighly above [BigTen Network] at this point.

Comment

I don't think the Badgers have what it takes to make the Frozen Four as I have tried to find everything possible wrong with this team in a nitpicking fashion. Oh wait..... VW is back.
                          Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

BCMike, it is my pleasure. In real life I run a nonprofit and one of our missions is providing information for out of town guests so they are comfortable with their surroundings when they arrive. In addition to working with youth, we try to boost the cities image by showing out of towners the Detroit that they don't show you on the 6 O'clock news.

The Ford Field Frozen Four gives me the opportunity to combine my two favorite things...college hockey and Detroit. I am obsessed with making sure every single person who visits leaves with a smile. In reality I know that is not possible, but it gives me something to work for.

Metro Detroiters have become very good at hosting big sporting events. We'be done the World Cup ('94), Ryder Cup, Stanley Cup, Final Four, Super Bowl, MLB All-Star Game, NBA Finals, and F1 racing all in the last few years. Detroit is passionate about sports like very few places.

The posters from the State of Michigan know how much our sporting image impacts our national image, and I think it will show even more when you see the hospitality that goes along with hosting these events.
                            MICHIGAN STATE
                            1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post

The Ford Field Frozen Four gives me the opportunity to combine my two favorite things...college hockey and Detroit. I am obsessed with making sure every single person who visits leaves with a smile. In reality I know that is not possible, but it gives me something to work for.

Metro Detroiters have become very good at hosting big sporting events. We'be done the World Cup ('94), Ryder Cup, Stanley Cup, Final Four, Super Bowl, MLB All-Star Game, NBA Finals, and F1 racing all in the last few years. Detroit is passionate about sports like very few places.

The posters from the State of Michigan know how much our sporting image impacts our national image, and I think it will show even more when you see the hospitality that goes along with hosting these events.
                              Well said and I'll second this.....oh and we had the World Series, too.
                              Anybody but Northern

Comment

**** I thought I had put that on there!

So yea..basically I'm going to aplogize for shoving this thread in your face for the next 9 days, but it is a mission for me. I feel like this is an opportunity for me to combine my work with my #1 hobby and make sure all of you have a great trip.
                                Last edited by STATEdude3; 03-31-2010, 09:33 PM.
                                MICHIGAN STATE
                                1966:1986:2007

Comment

Working...
                                X