Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Known Facts and D-III Tidbits 09-10!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Known Facts and D-III Tidbits 09-10!

Say What? Yes I am back, hilarious to some, a royal pain for others. So for starters, her is the Question: Home Ice Advantage! We have all heard of it. Ask around and you will find those that agree an “Advantage” exists, while others claim there is no such thing. Some would claim the reasons for an “Advantage” are: distance and time necessary (hours/days) to get to an opponent’s location, lodging, food, rink facilities and the age old “Home Cooking” Ref impact. For those that disagree, youthfulness and skill of the visitors outweigh all outside influences.

Involving D-III Women’s locations, give me your response to the following three questions and I will post the results on Monday November 23rd.

1. Does a “Home Ice Advantage” exist? (Note if you are dumb enough to answer no, you are done.)
    2. Rank your top 2 “Home Ice Advantage” rinks and let me know why. (Be creative class.)
    3. What is the “Advantage” in goals to the home team for each rink listed in 2)?

Re: Little Known Facts and D-III Tidbits 09-10!

Originally posted by Say What? View Post
    Say What? Yes I am back, hilarious to some, a royal pain for others. So for starters, her is the Question: Home Ice Advantage! We have all heard of it. Ask around and you will find those that agree an “Advantage” exists, while others claim there is no such thing. Some would claim the reasons for an “Advantage” are: distance and time necessary (hours/days) to get to an opponent’s location, lodging, food, rink facilities and the age old “Home Cooking” Ref impact. For those that disagree, youthfulness and skill of the visitors outweigh all outside influences.

Involving D-III Women’s locations, give me your response to the following three questions and I will post the results on Monday November 23rd.

1. Does a “Home Ice Advantage” exist? (Note if you are dumb enough to answer no, you are done.)
    2. Rank your top 2 “Home Ice Advantage” rinks and let me know why. (Be creative class.)
    3. What is the “Advantage” in goals to the home team for each rink listed in 2)?
    Say what, “Say What”!! So no takers!?!? Here’s how easy it is.

Yes there is “Home Ice Advantage”!

Number 1 rink has to be the Cathedral, the Glass Palace, home of coach “Jo Pa” of D-III hockey – Middlebury. Whoever heard of putting the penalty box next the home bench and across the ice from the visitor’s bench? And is it really true that Mandigo provides refs with steak and lobster meals after a game well called? 1.5 goal advantage.
    Number 2 rink would be Plattsburgh. I pity any team that goes up by a goal or two in the first couple periods. You might as well call penalties on yourself because you know it is going to happen anyway. 1 goal advantage.
    Bonus time
    Number 3 rink would be Elmira. For any team playing there for the first time, don’t forget your coal miner hats with the lights on top because you will need them when you go into the corners. By the way, was the ceiling of the dome always covered in dirt?? 1 goal advantage unless the vistors are there for the first time and then it is a 2 goal advantage.
    Number 4 – for the western team enthusiasts – any rink in Wisconsin. Only place in the world that the rule book specifically states that clutching, grabbing, interference, etc, etc, etc, is allowed for the home team and a penalty for the visiting team, especially if the visitors are from out of state and for some reason ahead. Goal advantage, whatever it takes.

Comment

I have never been a big believer of home ice advantage (and I had three that played youth travel and one who went on to play college). Of the four state championships (in a row) that one of my kid's team won, none of them were won on home ice. A good player knows how to adjust to heckling crowds, bad ice, lousy placement of penalty boxes, outdoor locker rooms, poor lighting, etc.

Home ice advantage theory can be tested this weekend when Chatham hosts Plattsburgh in Pittsburgh. Hope Plattsburgh's hotel doesn't burn down like Chatham's did last year when the two teams met in N.Y.
      "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Comment

Originally posted by THE Icemom View Post
        I have never been a big believer of home ice advantage (and I had three that played youth travel and one who went on to play college). Of the four state championships (in a row) that one of my kid's team won, none of them were won on home ice. A good player knows how to adjust to heckling crowds, bad ice, lousy placement of penalty boxes, outdoor locker rooms, poor lighting, etc.

Home ice advantage theory can be tested this weekend when Chatham hosts Plattsburgh in Pittsburgh. Hope Plattsburgh's hotel doesn't burn down like Chatham's did last year when the two teams met in N.Y.
        Watch out for those 2am-4am fire alarms too...
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

[QUOTE=Say What?;4458156][FONT="Times New Roman"]Say what, “Say What”!! So no takers!?!? Here’s how easy it is.

Yes there is “Home Ice Advantage”!

Number 1 rink has to be the Cathedral, the Glass Palace, home of coach “Jo Pa” of D-III hockey – Middlebury. Whoever heard of putting the penalty box next the home bench and across the ice from the visitor’s bench? And is it really true that Mandigo provides refs with steak and lobster meals after a game well called? 1.5 goal advantage.
          Number 2 rink would be Plattsburgh. I pity any team that goes up by a goal or two in the first couple periods. You might as well call penalties on yourself because you know it is going to happen anyway. 1 goal advantage.

Funny, but sooooo true which makes it even funnier.

Comment

Originally posted by THE Icemom View Post
            Hope Plattsburgh's hotel doesn't burn down like Chatham's did last year when the two teams met in N.Y.
            Yeah...THAT'S the reason Chatham got "smoked" yet again!!

Comment

Not funny....at the time it was extremely upsetting to the players and even more so for the parents. Hope YOU are never put in that situation.
              "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                Watch out for those 2am-4am fire alarms too...
                That reminds me, can you let me know which hotel the Soaring Sparrows'll be roosting this year when they fly to Platty? I'd like to arrange a special welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                  That reminds me, can you let me know which hotel the Soaring Sparrows'll be roosting this year when they fly to Platty? I'd like to arrange a special welcome.
                  I thought your daughter graduated?
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Let's just call it a homecoming of sorts...

Comment

Originally posted by Say What? View Post

Hahaha!! You ask and answer your own pre-prompted question. You are Donald Rumsfeld incarnate. Who needs Rowan to your Martin? Martin to your Lewis? I love these stab-tistics and numb-lers: frictionized facts rubbed together to produce fractional humor -- I am splitting my side, seriously.

1) Yes, there is a home ice advantage or I can't be in on the clubbing...
                      2) #1 Sidney Watson -- Bowdoin. That new car smell mocks the musty-ozoned caves that most D3 players have to return to. Goal Advantage +.05
                      #2 -- RIT's rink -- nets are almost on the backboards, lets the goalie pokecheck behind the net -- homer refs looking more like game wardens protecting the tigers (they can eat and claw you, but you can't shoot at them)--small rink-physical game allowed -- they go big, you go home -- Goal advantage +1

Surely you can run real stats based on power rankings: expected goals for and against and show the usual .56 home advantage and go with the variance -- but what fun is that?
                      "The great State of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"
                      -- Thank You For Smoking

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                        Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        I thought your daughter graduated?
                        We should be so lucky!

Comment

[QUOTE=
                          #2 -- RIT's rink -- nets are almost on the backboards, lets the goalie pokecheck behind the net -- homer refs looking more like game wardens protecting the tigers (they can eat and claw you, but you can't shoot at them)--small rink-physical game allowed -- they go big, you go home -- Goal advantage +1
                          [/QUOTE]

I guess it's been a while since you visited the Ritter. They have a ton of room behind the net and they certainly don't get any favors from the refs. Compare their pims at home to when they're on the road.
                          The small neutral zone is an advantage.
                          RIT TIGERS
                          2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Who has the best student body support of the DIII schools

Comment

Originally posted by hockeystop View Post
                              Who has the best student body support of the DIII schools
                              Not trying to be a buzzkill here but very few D-III schools that I've watched games at draw much of anything for fans at all, let alone students.

I think at most D-III women's games atleast half of the attendance is usually family and friends.

RIT drew a really big crowd last year when they played Plattsburgh. They promoted the heck out of it and I believe got over 1000 people there.

Plattsburgh has drawn some great crowds when they hosted the Frozen Four err...the Division III Women's Ice Hockey Championships as has Elmira.

IIRC, Elmira still holds the record for largest crowd to witness a D-III women's game with around 2,000 people in 2003 or 2005 at the FF.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X