X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bracketology

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    KRACH for everyone, etc.
    Just as long as it's not Britney Spears' KRACH.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      If we just wanted a WCHA tournament, we'd have one.

Oh right, we do. It's held before the NCAA tourney, like every other conference.
      hmm true maybe we should postpone the ncaa tourney a week so the wcha final five can have the spotlight it deserves
      Originally posted by Mankato student
      Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
      "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
      -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
        hmm true maybe we should postpone the ncaa tourney a week so the wcha final five can have the spotlight it deserves
        Hold the NCAA Tournament first and the winner gets a spot in the WCHA Final 5 Play-in Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
          I think you'd have to flip Cornell and Yale. I think you have to keep Cornell in Albany.
          That would be nice, but the tradition is for us to be shipped west where we lose in overtime in the QF to the host.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Did last night's cornell victory change anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
              Did last night's cornell victory change anything?
              Definitely. Cornell's RPI improved enough to flip the comparison with Michigan State, so they effectively swapped places at #11/14. This of course swaps seeding bands, so the brackets have to change.

I'm no bracketologist, though, so I'll let someone else handle those duties.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                Definitely. Cornell's RPI improved enough to flip the comparison with Michigan State, so they effectively swapped places at #11/14. This of course swaps seeding bands, so the brackets have to change.

I'm no bracketologist, though, so I'll let someone else handle those duties.
                Moy's bracket (of which I am in complete concurrence) takes advantage of the fact that all of the #3 seeds are tied in the PWR to create some solid brackets.
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                  Moy's bracket (of which I am in complete concurrence) takes advantage of the fact that all of the #3 seeds are tied in the PWR to create some solid brackets.
                  Ah - hadn't noticed that he'd already updated to include last night's game. Thanks.
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    Ah - hadn't noticed that he'd already updated to include last night's game. Thanks.
                    ditto, thanks red

Comment

Thanks for the analysis, Priceless.

If Union beats Cornell next weekend, does that mean that Union might sneak into the top 15 and get an at-large bid or would other things need to happen? Would Union also need RPI and St. Lawrence to become TUCs? If so, what would RPI and St. Lawrence have to do to become TUCs (they are currently at #28 and #29 in the RPI).

Thanks in advance...Still trying to get the hang of this...Not quite there yet.
                      LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                        If Union beats Cornell next weekend, does that mean that Union might sneak into the top 15 and get an at-large bid or would other things need to happen?
                        It's too early to determine what a win against a specific team next weekend will do. It wouldn't hurt, but it would depend greatly on what happens in a number of games this weekend.

Would Union also need RPI and St. Lawrence to become TUCs?
                        St. Lawrence and especially Rensselaer becoming TUCs are vital to Union's chances at an at-large bid. Even just SLU would be enough to make the TUC criteria count in the comparisons (and flip a few comparisons), but having Rensselaer as a TUC would flip a boatload of comparisons. Adding both would be pretty big.

Right now, this is the most important and best way for Union to get into the discussion on potential at-large teams.

If so, what would RPI and St. Lawrence have to do to become TUCs (they are currently at #28 and #29 in the RPI).
                        Win. It helps if teams directly ahead of them in the RPI are losing as well - teams like UML, LSSU, Michigan, and Minnesota.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                          Thanks for the analysis, Priceless.

If Union beats Cornell next weekend, does that mean that Union might sneak into the top 15 and get an at-large bid or would other things need to happen? Would Union also need RPI and St. Lawrence to become TUCs? If so, what would RPI and St. Lawrence have to do to become TUCs (they are currently at #28 and #29 in the RPI).

Thanks in advance...Still trying to get the hang of this...Not quite there yet.
                          Things are very fluid until selection Sunday. It's too short-sighted to say "Team X is a TUC if they beat Y". It matters if they are a TUC at the end of the year. With a win against Cornell, Union will probably move up but remember that everyone else is playing too. Right now, the easiest thing to do is hope your team keeps winning, teams you have already beaten win and teams that are around you in the PWR lose.

If you want to play around with different scenarios, use the script at the link posted below and you can play out the regular season (or next weekend). If you've got a lot of free time, you can do what I did and play the conference playoffs. Playing around at that site is very educational. I would also recommend siouxsports.com, because they break down the remaining schedule and how that will change the TUC and COp components.

I'm hopeful someone over there will take their idea of doing a what-if for the conference and combine it with the what-if calculator at slack.net and allow you to play out the season...but I expect that's some high-level code work
                          Last edited by Priceless; 02-17-2010, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
                            Actually they should have an NCAA tournament without the WCHA, and the winner of that tournament gets the honor of playing in the WCHA tournament.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Does anyone know If a team has to have a .500 record to be considered in the PWR? Since there are a lot of teams hovering around the .500 record.

Comment

Top 25 teams in the RPI are considered for the PWR. IIRC Wisconsin was a sub .500 team a couple years ago and they were in the PWR.
                                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X