Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan State vs. Michigan - Can't we all just get along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan State vs. Michigan - Can't we all just get along?

Originally posted by UMICHhockeyRULZ View Post
    It's "Palissimoooooooo". We're already desiging chants...
    That's as close to the right spelling as any other reference in this thread.

Comment

Ive been follwoing him for 3 years now and I cant get it right...I just stick with '"Drew."
      MICHIGAN STATE
      1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
        FYI, it is not supposed to be spelled correctly. I spelled it the way we will be chanting it, Pahhhhlisssseeeemoooooooooooo....

Mooo, like a cow. He plays for Moo U. Get it?
        Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

FYI, it is not supposed to be spelled correctly. I spelled it the way we will be chanting it, Pahhhhlisssseeeemoooooooooooo....

Mooo, like a cow. He plays for Moo U. Get it?
          Except if you're going to draw out a syllable of a guy's name derisively, make sure it doesn't rhyme (thank you StateDude) with his first name. He may take it as a warmhearted cheer!

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
            Hey now, just being off by an "i" isn't that bad for never having paid attention to the spelling. In fact, as an arrogant Michigan fan, I'd say that's the way his name was meant to be spelled .

Comment

You know, I was going to say something more notable here, but I think I'll just let you embarrass yourself when you unveil your less-than first-grade reading and comprehension skills in front of thousands.

HINT: We don't have a guy on our team with the last name of "Palissimo."
              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
              66 - 86 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                You know, I was going to say something more notable here, but I think I'll just let you embarrass yourself when you unveil your less-than first-grade reading and comprehension skills in front of thousands.

HINT: We don't have a guy on our team with the last name of "Palissimo."
                I guess this goes to show that no one cares enough about sparty to actually look at your roster first...

Comment

I respect sparty hockey, but at the same time I hate it. Like I said eaerlier, it is the only sport that actually has a true even rivalry. When I was at Michigan the players hated sparty, even though they grew up with many of the players. As Nystrom told me, "It's just something about those ugly green jerseys that makes me want to check them through the glass." Of ccourse Eric is from New York so he really didn't know too many of spartys players before-hand.
                  Ok, no one has jumped up to vouch for your yellow and blueness... so let me throw another theory out there and maybe someone can confirm it.

Was this guy like one of the "special" kids that the team sort of took under their wing? He doesn't really hold a degree from your revered institute does he?
                  maize is just an arrogant shade of yellow

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                    What delusion are you speaking of? That there wasn't a rivalry? That tends to happen when a team is dominated for the past 40 years. I mean, MSU went to how many Rose Bowls since 1966? How many Big Ten Championships? NC's? BCS games? H2H record?

Things may have changed the last two seasons, but it doesn't wipe away too much of the past until it because a long term trend. I think it is more of a matter of the Michigan program tanking more than the Spartan program improving.

Michigan hockey fans OTOH, are grounded. Last year was as much of a culture shock to us seeing your program digress as any fan. But we also knew you'd be back. Hasn't changed much, though, at the Munn Mausoleum has it?

Just the same there is a mutual resp, er dislike. It's the one gray area where neither team can claim too much superiority beyond last year's results. It's where the sane fan can disregard the football and bounceyball fansmack.

There is one of two things going on here... or maybe both. There is a different tenor to the smack talk coming out of your camp these days. Either the shambles that your football program is in is finally teaching you guys some humility... or you really are that concerned about your hockey program at this point. Or, like I said, both. The braggadocio that typically characterized your posts has been greatly tempered. Your swagger has been reduced to more of a shuffle (save for UMICHDROOLZ, he's swaggering [staggering?] all over the place).

I think that given last weekends performance you guys know there's a better chance than you would like that you could be swept this weekend. As much as we are hoping for it, you are dreading the potential bloodletting that could go down in Yost in the next 24 hours. The usual chirps are more like peeps now. The pink marshmallow kind.. that you find in the Easter basket. Hell! I even got a positive rep from one of you schmucks for a shot I took in this thread. Cats sleeping with dogs I tell you. (and schmuck was just bravado, thanks for the rep!)

We Spartans on the other hand... we are delirious. So far this year, last year's disaster of a season has been replaced with a hockey team that, well GD it, looks like a hockey team! We have visions of grandeur running through our head. We think we can deal the death blow to UM hockey on their own sheet (hyperbole for those of you that are slow on the uptake). WE WANT THE FRIDAY THE 13TH MASSACRE!!!!

But, sigh, Spartans know letdowns too. All too well after the last couple of years of hockey (and the perpetual letdown in football). We know you are laying back in the wings waiting for us to stumble. Waiting for us to fall. Waiting for us to turn our backs and walk away with our heads hung low while you spit on us. But, having been there so often before,
                    ___we___just___don't___care.
                    We are punch drunk riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels. GET OUT OF THE WAY =)

side note #1:
                    Friday the 13th. I break it down this way. Home ice is an advantage and one could postulate there is some measure of luck associated with it. Friday the 13th, being associated with overwhelming bad luck, typically acts inversely upon the amount of good luck one might otherwise expect to recieve. Therefore, I say Friday the 13th: Advantage-SPARTANS

side note #2:
                    Do you guys recognize how big of a cluster-******* your football program has turned into since you hired that hillbilly? Walvies are great for filling up the pig house. You're not supposed to hand them a headset and a clipboard and let them run the program FFS. We've been down that road so many times we burned the map a long time ago. You guys are lost. We're loving it.

side note #3:
                    In the spirit of this thread...

GO BLOW!

Comment

Originally posted by Gomer View Post
                      Ok, no one has jumped up to vouch for your yellow and blueness... so let me throw another theory out there and maybe someone can confirm it.

Was this guy like one of the "special" kids that the team sort of took under their wing? He doesn't really hold a degree from your revered institute does he?
                      Is it so unbelievable that I can succeed and hold a graduate degree from The University of Michigan and you are a lowly fan of a cow college?

Comment

If by "Cow College" you mean "The Pioneer Land Grant Institution founded by the great Abraham Lincoln on the idea that education is a fundamental right of the people"...not some elitist Ivy League waiting list, Harvard Rejects...YES.
                        MICHIGAN STATE
                        1966:1986:2007

Comment

Gomer
                          In terms of "humility" and "bravado" and recent times- you have not been paying attention to most of us who have been posting for the last however long. Outside of toolz, I think we are all very realistic about our team- generally, they have the talent to win anytime, any place, against anyone, BUT they only show that in a few min spurts over the weekends. So we all know we can be beat by anyone, anytime, anywhere. Moreso, we also all know that MSU always brings something special to the game, JUST becuase of the opponent.

In all of my years posting here, I've never thought that any MSU win was a sure thing, ever. We hate you guys, without a doubt. But it's with a well deserved grain of respect. One that we've had for LSSU in the past, and one that Miami is getting right now.

In terms of "support"- it reminds me of the '98 game at Yost. The one just prior to the UM- North Dakota game. The one that I call the best game I've ever seen where I can't stand either team- OSU vs. MSU for the regional final. It was basically 50/50 on the UM fan support. Great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gomer View Post
                            We Spartans on the other hand... we are delirious. So far this year, last year's disaster of a season has been replaced with a hockey team that, well GD it, looks like a hockey team! We have visions of grandeur running through our head.
                            I would just like to point out to you Spartans...that I was feeling that way about Michigan's football team at the end of September.

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                            If by "Cow College" you mean "The Pioneer Land Grant Institution founded by the great Abraham Lincoln on the idea that education is a fundamental right of the people"...not some elitist Ivy League waiting list, Harvard Rejects...YES.
                            So....a school that let's anyone in. Got it. Give me the elitist school full of smart people and a better education. Thanks.

Is it time for hockey yet?
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              So....a school that let's anyone in. Got it. Give me the elitist school full of smart people and a better education. Thanks.

Including "The Kid"?
                              Regardless, here's what's reported by the two Offices of Admissions for the incoming class:

UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
                              Entering Class: 6,079
                              Composite ACT: 28–32*
                              Composite SAT (Critical Reading and Math): 1280-1500*
                              High School GPA: 3.7-4.0*

MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY
                              Entering class: 7,209
                              Composite ACT: 23-27*
                              Composite SAT (Critical Reading and Math): 1030-1250*
                              High school GPA: 3.41-3.85*

*Average of middle 50 percentile

Certainly isn't time for football. Knock it off!
                              Last edited by owslachief; 11-13-2009, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                                I would just like to point out to you Spartans...that I was feeling that way about Michigan's football team at the end of September.
                                Really OT, but you ought to have known better. You ate your two directional cupcakes sure, but you just only eked out wins against an anemic ND and that perennial Big 10 powerhouse Indiana.

You make it sound like we are some community college.

We happen to have, amongst other stellar programs, the #2 nuclear physics program (just behind, and soon to pass MIT) with 2 superconducting cyclotrons on campus and a half a billion dollar linear accelerator on the way. We are the the nation's premier rare isotope research facility and crank out 1/10th of all the nations PhDs in nuclear physics.

Additional accolades
                                :
                                • For the fourth year in a row, MSU leads the nation in study abroad participation among public universities.
                                • MSU is one of the nation's top five campuses for sustainability, according to the National Wildlife Federation's Campus Environment 2008 Report Card.
                                • MSU is the only university in the country with three on-campus medical schools, graduating allopathic (MD) and osteopathic (DO) physicians, as well as veterinarians. As the university extends the College of Human Medicine and the College of Osteopathic Medicine to new areas of the state, it is increasing enrollment, and by 2010, MSU will be among the largest universities in the United States in terms of the number of medical school graduates.
                                • MSU continues its outstanding record of students earning prestigious national and international scholarships with the naming of three Goldwater Scholars and one Truman Scholar in 2008–09. The total scholarship count at MSU now stands at: Goldwater, 27; Rhodes, 16; Churchill, 16; Truman, 16; Marshall, 12; Udall, eight; Hollings, four; Gates Cambridge, two; and Mitchell, one. MSU's record of Rhodes Scholars has led the Big Ten for 25 years.
                                • MSU ranks No. 4 on The Scientist magazine's 2008 list of the best places to work in academia in the United States.
                                • MSU's graduate programs in elementary and secondary education rank first in the nation for the 15th year in a row. The College of Education ranks 17th in the nation, with five other graduate programs ranking in the top 10 in their categories:
                                  * Rehabilitation counseling, No. 1
                                  * Curriculum and instruction, No. 2
                                  * Higher education administration, No. 4
                                  * Educational psychology, No. 5
                                  * Administration and supervision, No. 8
                                • MSU's undergraduate and graduate programs in supply chain/logistics in the Eli Broad College of Business rank second in the nation.
                                • Among medical schools, MSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine ranks seventh in the nation in the primary care category, along with four universities, including Harvard. Since 2000, the college has ranked among the top 10 percent of all medical schools nationally and was recognized for its commitment to quality care by the State of Michigan.

Joke if you want about our contributions to agriculture. But you have us to thank for keeping your chain-smoking Walvie fanbase in the pink through the use of nuclear medicine. You guys can't even design a building to play hockey in that is structurally sound!

And for every "elite" graduate you produce you've got 100 wannabe Walvies dragging your image down.

But back to hockey... Is it any particular player that is responsible for Hogan's sloppy 5-hole? Or was it some sort of gang initiation deal where they were all in on it?

Comment

Working...
                                X