D 2 eligibility plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D 2 eligibility plans

Any more on a previous post suggesting that D 2 was looking to charge a year of eligibility for each year of Junior and or Prep School?

This would signal the end of their ability to compete in a D 3 loop and a move to a club team capacity.

How wide spread is this sentiment amongst D 2 people? Where is it coming from?

Re: D 2 eligibility plans

This is still a front burner discussion at the NCAA level.It appears to be brought about over eligibility concerns in DII soccer that has spilled over to all DII sports,including hockey.
    The concept is to give a player one year after high school to be eligible for four years in college.
    What complicates the matter,is that ,at this time, this only effects DII and not the other divisions.so a player that plays one year of prep school and one year of juniors would have 3 years of eligibility at the DII level but would have four years at DIII or DI.
    This will only effect 7 schools and only further complicate recruiting efforts.
    I think it is only a matter of time before some of the colleges involved will decide that this is the final nail on the coffin and drop the sport.
    Given the DI and DIII moratoriums ,maybe someone could suggest what these schools should do,given that even if thy drop scholarships in other non hockey sports they have no where to go.
    If you were a DII school would you even think about starting a varsity hockey program ,given the NCAA rules and regs?

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
      This is still a front burner discussion at the NCAA level.It appears to be brought about over eligibility concerns in DII soccer that has spilled over to all DII sports,including hockey.
      The concept is to give a player one year after high school to be eligible for four years in college.
      What complicates the matter,is that ,at this time, this only effects DII and not the other divisions.so a player that plays one year of prep school and one year of juniors would have 3 years of eligibility at the DII level but would have four years at DIII or DI.
      This will only effect 7 schools and only further complicate recruiting efforts.
      I think it is only a matter of time before some of the colleges involved will decide that this is the final nail on the coffin and drop the sport.
      Given the DI and DIII moratoriums ,maybe someone could suggest what these schools should do,given that even if thy drop scholarships in other non hockey sports they have no where to go.
      If you were a DII school would you even think about starting a varsity hockey program ,given the NCAA rules and regs?
      Question -- there are a lot of D-II schools playing up in D-I. Does this affect them?

Reason I ask is I think for the D-III playups, they have to abide by the more restrictive rule if there is a conflict between D-I and D-III.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

a good question, but I think the same rule would apply for a playup as a playdown.This is a DII prosed rule change and as long as the SCHOOL is classified as DII,then DII rules apply for sports regardless if they play one sport out of division.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
          a good question, but I think the same rule would apply for a playup as a playdown.This is a DII prosed rule change and as long as the SCHOOL is classified as DII,then DII rules apply for sports regardless if they play one sport out of division.
          What are the rules for a D 2 school if they wanted to duck this, could they move to a D 3 status? It sounds like such a move to reduced years of eligibility would in effect have boys trying to compete with men. It would wipe out a D 2 hockey program as they would no longer be on an even playing field with the competition in their loops. Even ACHA leagues do not have such repressive and ill-considered rules.

Sounds to me like somebody who has no clue about hockey is proposing this. Ignorance is bliss for such an individual, but surely somebody will tune him in. A team of Prep schoo; players or single year Junior players would be a joke and other teams with older more experienced and crdible players would mop the floor with them.

Comment

See hawkhockey's reply to my query.

Affected D-1 schools:
            St. Cloud
            UM-Duluth
            Both Alaska's
            Northern Mich
            Lake State
            Bentley
            AIC
            Mass-Lowell
            Merrimack
            plus a few others. Think they'll be able to compete against the D1 only schools?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by passthepuck View Post
              Sounds to me like somebody who has no clue about hockey is proposing this. Ignorance is bliss for such an individual, but surely somebody will tune him in. A team of Prep schoo; players or single year Junior players would be a joke and other teams with older more experienced and crdible players would mop the floor with them.
              This is another example of the one-size fits all approach that the NCAA uses in DII/DIII. Rather than allow for differences between sports because of different traditions, practicies, etc., the organization places a blanket set of rules over a division. If you read back this rule was proposed to address what are perceived as issues in DII soccer. Since you don't make rules for one sport, the rule would apply to all DII sports. This same philosophy is the reason that DII schools can't officially play down in hockey, being cast into nowhere land and having only 6 non DI programs left with nowhere to go.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

"One size fits all" is an excellent way of talking about the NCAA's thoughts on Hockey. I feel that a lot of NCAA's decisions are counter productive to hockey because they are not looking at the feeder system for College hockey. Junior hockey in Canada and Europe is unique to hockey and for a lot of student athletes it is just as important to play for a local junior team as it is to play college hockey. The NCAA needs to make rules that allow students to full fill all of their goals prior to college so that they full fill their college goals as well.

D-ii is DEAD in college hockey if the NCAA is able to pass rules that make it more restrictive. However if the NCAA listens to the schools, and makes rules that allow D-II to continue as a D-III or D-I program D-II will survive and maybe in a few years as schools make new decisions we may be able to have an NCAA D-II national championship again.

Bottom line is the NCAA first goal should be build and maintain as many varsity sports as they can. After that they should in-force rules and create restrictions. In the case of D-II hockey they are not taking the proper actions to ensure that they programs will exist in 5-10 years and the fewer sports the NCAA offers the smaller its # of participants are and the less power it will have on college campuses.
                Last edited by 3rdLiner; 11-15-2009, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X