2010-2011 DIII commitment thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010-2011 DIII commitment thread

Midd coach generally e-mails us and either fills in the list or has us take names off that are no longer looking to come there. Several other D3 Coaches do it that way. Others will send us a mass list and update it when necessary.

This is what makes the D3 list extra difficult:

Bernheim for example has been submitted to Manhattanville - Nov, Middlebury - Dec, Norwich - Feb, Middlebury - March, and now Norwich again. All were individual submissions.

Not that this doesn't happen but it is rare for a player to be moved this many times. We rely on accurate info and can only assume good faith with a submission until someone says otherwise.
    The WCHA Dynasty
    Wisconsin
    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
      Midd coach generally e-mails us and either fills in the list or has us take names off that are no longer looking to come there. Several other D3 Coaches do it that way. Others will send us a mass list and update it when necessary.

This is what makes the D3 list extra difficult:

Bernheim for example has been submitted to Manhattanville - Nov, Middlebury - Dec, Norwich - Feb, Middlebury - March, and now Norwich again. All were individual submissions.

Not that this doesn't happen but it is rare for a player to be moved this many times. We rely on accurate info and can only assume good faith with a submission until someone says otherwise.
      I would think a coach who is recruiting a player would see a red flag after a second switch. Why is it so important to post individually anyways? Is it an ego thing? I could see club teams doing it, kind of an advertisement, but otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by LG4 View Post
        I would think a coach who is recruiting a player would see a red flag after a second switch. Why is it so important to post individually anyways? Is it an ego thing? I could see club teams doing it, kind of an advertisement, but otherwise?
        My guess would be that it is a little bit of the "keeping up with the Joneses" syndrome - as they see the names of their teammates and opponents being posted, it seems like a natural reaction for a player to want to be seen as going somewhere as well.

I think it's also important to keep in mind that players like to think of themselves as being "recruited", and many players/families think that any contact with a coach constitutes "being recruited".

Comment

What often happens when a player is bouncing around is we start getting e-mails from the coaches when they see a player move on and off of their list. Especially if they know for a fact whether or not the player is coming to play for them. We have developed a great rapport with most of the coaches in D3 and I really hope we can continue to build on that.

The vast majority of the individual submissions come directly from the player, parent, club coach, person connected to the club team, or another player. This is the case with both of the aforementioned players.
          The WCHA Dynasty
          Wisconsin

Minnesota

Minnesota-Duluth

Comment

I seriously doubt that coaches are watching this site to see where their recruits end up. I would hope that they have an open dialogue with their recruits as to what their current status is. Not every coach keeps close tabs, but I don't think BTD would be better than a simple email for scorekeeping.

As to why individual players post, in many cases it may be because the school's coach does not post. In other cases, it may be to encourage other players to join them at X school. Also, these girls are proud that they are recruited athletes. Is it ego to say that you've been recruited to play at X school and you've chose to go there? They put it on their facebook pages, so why not in a broader community where others who might be interested might look?

Comment

I would think a coach who is recruiting a player would see a red flag after a second switch.

I was thinking the same thing but can the blame fall on the coaches who continue to recruit players after they have made their initial commitment. I know there's no official commitments but there has to be some kind of code to leave recruits alone once they've made a decision.
              RIT TIGERS
              2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by notfromaroundhere View Post
                As to why individual players post, in many cases it may be because the school's coach does not post. In other cases, it may be to encourage other players to join them at X school. Also, these girls are proud that they are recruited athletes. Is it ego to say that you've been recruited to play at X school and you've chose to go there? They put it on their facebook pages, so why not in a broader community where others who might be interested might look?
                Bingo.... I think you hit it on the head about the ego comment. It absolutely is ego for many players. Understandable, sure, but ego nonetheless. And that can lead some players to hear what they want to hear and to believe that they are "being recruited", even when that contact with a coach may simply have been the coach being courteous by having a conversation with a player or having an assistant respond to an inquiry...

Also, as the BTD contact has mentioned - PARENTS can post. I would also venture that ego plays an even greater role with regard to the submission of parents than the players themselves. And this is not specific to hockey. This is the whole "water cooler" issue where parents feel the need to be able to say that their kid plays for "X" club program or for "Y" AAA team. Happens in every sport, and hockey is no different.

Comment

Originally posted by Hock77 View Post
                  :

looks like the Cadets have a army of goalies attending the school......returning (Fortin)...........BTD (Fisk & Plamondon)....!!!
                  Did the rising junior from Italy (Traversa) transfer?

If Bernheim is, in fact, going to Norwich, it looks like that would give them FIVE goalies.

Comment

Originally posted by Goalie Dad View Post
                    Rose Bernheim (G) is not going to Middlebury, she is attending Norwich.
                    Haena Lee (F) is not attending Middlebury, she is attending Williams.

That's what is on the JWHL site as well. Not Middlebury
                    Actually the Washington Pride site at one time listed both players as going to Middlebury. I don't think Kush does that without guidance from the players.

I think this points out the fact that so many factors get into the decision at D-III such as admissions, financial aid, etc. Where a player wants to go, and which coaches want her, get tangled up with all of these other factors. I think at D-III (especially at academically challenging schools), if you are bright enough to get into your first choice ED, and either are poor enough to be a shoo-in for FA or are wealthy enough to not qualify for any FA, then your first choice will be the place where you attend. In most other cases, things remain up in the air longer than anyone would like. Perhaps the only answer is to not announce these choices until after the April acceptance deadlines pass?

Comment

No more BTD website? Just tried it and it says its been disabled.

Comment

You must have not visited for awhile 123. I have been advertising our planned hosting servrr move for the past 2 weeks or so on the main and commits page. The temp site is in my sig.
                        The WCHA Dynasty
                        Wisconsin

Minnesota

Minnesota-Duluth

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
                          You must have not visited for awhile 123. I have been advertising our planned hosting servrr move for the past 2 weeks or so on the main and commits page. The temp site is in my sig.
                          We hope and trust that the conversion will come back with more DIII content for this year...I mean if we have to rely on USCHO, we'll spend another year in the dark.

Comment

Jennie Robinson Elmira Hyde Park, NY D Northwood School

Comment

Originally posted by beckers5719 View Post
                              Jennie Robinson Elmira Hyde Park, NY D Northwood School
                              Welcome Beckers. Wasn't Hyde Park famous for being the birthplace of someone famous other than Jennie Robinson?

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                                Welcome Beckers. Wasn't Hyde Park famous for being the birthplace of someone famous other than Jennie Robinson?
                                FDR was born in Hyde Park NY.

Comment

Working...
                                X