This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things DU XXV - Murray Up and Get The Chevy Out of The Repair Shop

Plenty of prime seats available this weekend. Should be the lowest attended games of the season as many folks leave town to visit family or hit the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      As Serratorre era student fans, you saw some grim hockey to be sure, but underneath the bad record was a program that was really turning the corner into the modern ara of new rinks, TV and the internet which carried college hockey from a sport seen primarlily locally into a much more nationally credible game.

Frank gets a bad rap for his .357 winning percentage as DU coach, but the reality is that his recruits went to the NCAA tourney in Gwoz's first year as coach, and he was building a very good foundation for the Gwozdecky era. Frank did a lot of work to patch up the sagging arena and restored the level of effort and pride in the program, and no staff worked harder when it came to recruiting, opening up Europe and getting DU on the radar of the emerging USHL.

Frank got fired from DU because he let his temper get the best of him. Had DU kept him around and let him mature a bit into the Frank that coaches AFA today, I think he'd have a similar level of success with DU as we see with Gwoz.
      Swami's right. I've always thought we pulled the trigger too quickly on Frank. And his success at AFA (where his recruiting is extremely limited) proves the point).

I know I've posted this before, but as a new coach, Frank was giving me a tour of the wretched infrastructure of the DU Arena (the visiting lockerroom was exceptionally grim) when the subject of Boone came up. Without a second's hesitation, he said: "that *********t?" I think Frank wanted a mascot with a bit more testosterone. But before DG and the other Boonsters have me whacked, I'm also confident (under the prevailing PC circumsatnces) that he'd be fully on board with Boone today.

I was at the last Blue Bonnet bowl in Houston. AFA versus Texas in what turned out to be Fred Akers' last game, because the Falcons won. Anyway, what has stuck in my mind is the fact that AFA football team had NINE high school valedictorians on it! On the football team!
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

As Serratorre era student fans, you saw some grim hockey to be sure, but underneath the bad record was a program that was really turning the corner into the modern ara of new rinks, TV and the internet which carried college hockey from a sport seen primarlily locally into a much more nationally credible game.

Frank gets a bad rap for his .357 winning percentage as DU coach, but the reality is that his recruits went to the NCAA tourney in Gwoz's first year as coach, and he was building a very good foundation for the Gwozdecky era. Frank did a lot of work to patch up the sagging arena and restored the level of effort and pride in the program, and no staff worked harder when it came to recruiting, opening up Europe and getting DU on the radar of the emerging USHL.

Frank got fired from DU because he let his temper get the best of him. Had DU kept him around and let him mature a bit into the Frank that coaches AFA today, I think he'd have a similar level of success with DU as we see with Gwoz.
        I was a regular during the Serratore years and was a little surprised when they let him go. I thought he was a charismatic, emotional coach that was passionate about the program. Let's not forget he started the Gold Pan too! Anyway, he did turn the program around and brought in some studs! When they started the search for a new coach, I remember Shawn Walsh was in the running along with Herb Brooks. In my mind Gwoz was the least desirable of the finalists but got the job. I went to his first press conference in the "Barn" and got up the courage to ask him a question with cameras flashing away. I asked him what the Serratore recruits were going to do and how they felt about the coaching change. He said they would remain, (although he might have said they had a choice to opt out) and that he was very happy with the guys coming in. Of course I can't remember who they were but I believe they were very good (Anders Biork rings a bell ). I don't think any of us could have predicted the level of success Gwoz accompliched. "In Gwoz we trust"
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          Swami's right. I've always thought we pulled the trigger too quickly on Frank. And his success at AFA (where his recruiting is extremely limited) proves the point).
          Winning at Air Force in the AHA and winning at a premier NCAA hockey program is a different matter altogether.

Look how Lucia & Eaves are struggling in the new world order and you have a pretty good idea how Serratore would fare. The players interests come first and unless you have a coach that is totally respected by the players, the agents (ahem family advisors), the parents & NHL GM's. Chaos results.

Serratore was warned about his treatment of DU players and a second infraction cost him his job. The DU lax coach lost control of his players and a player revolt doomed him. The situations aren't that different.

Ritchie promised Gwozdecky a new arena and he delivered. Two National Championships and 13 NHL draftees on the roster later, DU is in position to have a epic decade.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            Winning at Air Force in the AHA and winning at a premier NCAA hockey program is a different matter altogether.

Look how Lucia & Eaves are struggling in the new world order and you have a pretty good idea how Serratore would fare. The players interests come first and unless you have a coach that is totally respected by the players, the agents (ahem family advisors), the parents & NHL GM's. Chaos results.

Serratore was warned about his treatment of DU players and a second infraction cost him his job. The DU lax coach lost control of his players and a player revolt doomed him. The situations aren't that different.

Ritchie promised Gwozdecky a new arena and he delivered. Two National Championships and 13 NHL draftees on the roster later, DU is in position to have a epic decade.
            All true. No disrespect to Gwoz here. I respect and admire him and his accomplishments. Remember me? I'm the guy who got hammered just a few days ago for standing up for him.

You're right when it comes to the recruiting environment, a completely different kettle of fish from the old days. Much more complicated. Much more difficult. Today we're talking about the signing of a high school sophomore, whom we hope will follow through on his committment and continue to develop. Remember that book about Bobby Knight some years back where he was held up to ridicule for falling in love with some kid he described as "the best 8th grader I ever saw."?

Gwoz is closing in on being the equal of "The Chief," which is the highest praise I can offer.

Comment

I like Serratore as a person, too, and I think he may have been on the way to getting DU back on track. But by saying that we pulled the trigger too quickly on him, do you think DU would have been better off keeping him as a coach? When you look at Serratore's poor winning percentage, his apparent temper issues, and the fact that Gwoz has produced two national championships in a first-class manner, how can anyone dispute that firing Frank and replacing him with Gwoz was one of the best decisions in the history of DU hockey?

Comment

Gwoz is closing in on being the equal of "The Chief," which is the highest praise I can offer.
                High Praise indeed.

Its funny, but Murray Armstrong may be more famous today in Denver today than in any time in the last 20 years. Certainly the hockey program is embracing its roots as never before. Its great to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                  I like Serratore as a person, too, and I think he may have been on the way to getting DU back on track. But by saying that we pulled the trigger too quickly on him, do you think DU would have been better off keeping him as a coach? When you look at Serratore's poor winning percentage, his apparent temper issues, and the fact that Gwoz has produced two national championships in a first-class manner, how can anyone dispute that firing Frank and replacing him with Gwoz was one of the best decisions in the history of DU hockey?
                  You can't. And I didn't intend to. My feelings about firing Frank were contemporaneous. And frankly I was not aware of these "temper" issues.

Whatever problems I may have had with Chancellor for Eternity Dan Ritchie, one of them certainly is not the hiring of George Gwozdecky nor the building of the center that bears his name.

And what Swami says about the positive effects of a winning flagship sports program on a university can't be overstated. We had a situation at DU where alumni who didn't live along the front range weren't aware of how dreadful things had gotten. They read the DU approved publications and assumed that things were pretty much the way they had always been. The university had no interest in letting them know how badly the program had fallen behind the other elite programs with which we compete. Some of us worked very hard to see if we couldn't turn that situation around. Needless to say, it was the guy with the deep pockets who made it happen, and I'm forever grateful to him.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 11-25-2009, 02:29 PM.

Comment

You can't. And I didn't intend to. My feelings about firing Frank were contemporaneous. And frankly I was not aware of these "temper" issues.

Whatever problems I may have had with Chancellor for Eternity Dan Ritchie, one of them certainly is not the hiring of George Gwozdecky nor the building of the center that bears his name.

And what Swami says about the positive effects of a winning flagship sports program on a university can't be overstated. We had a situation at DU where alumni who didn't live along the front range weren't aware of how dreadful things had gotten. They read the DU approved publications and assumed that things were pretty much the way they had always been. The university had no interest in letting them know how badly the program had fallen behind the other elite programs with which we compete. Some of us worked very hard to see if we couldn't turn that situation around. Needless to say, it was the guy with the deep pockets who made it happen, and I'm forever grateful to him.
                    It is my understanding that not only did Richie save the hockey program, but the entire University. Isn't it true that in the late 80s, DU was on the brink of closing it's doors? Let's not forget CCs troubles either. Prior to that awesome 1993 team, they were on the verge of dropping down to Division 111. Look at where we are now!! Tied for first place, again, in the WCHA!!! Bravo!!!!
                    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                    Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                      It is my understanding that not only did Richie save the hockey program, but the entire University. Isn't it true that in the late 80s, DU was on the brink of closing it's doors? Let's not forget CCs troubles either. Prior to that awesome 1993 team, they were on the verge of dropping down to Division 111. Look at where we are now!! Tied for first place, again, in the WCHA!!! Bravo!!!!
                      Yes. Ritchie and his buddies saved the entire school. In 1989, DU was $12 million in debt, had $45 million in deferred maintenance and had to borrow money to make payroll. Ritchie kicked in $55 million of his own money and got another $300-400 million from his well-connected buddies to save the school. I will be forever grateful to the man who did more than anyone to make DU great again. He was the right man for that time.

But I will also say that Ritchie had some small downsides - he ruled by fear, and he didn't quite get the school spirit thing, either. Those two things are still standing in our way even now that he's been gone for a while.

Comment

Cool. I have no idea about the temper thing, either. Just assuming that our esteemed posters below who referred to the temper issues know some facts that I don't about.

One thing I liked about the Serratore years was the recruiting of the Scandinavians: if I recall correctly, Serratore recruited Laaksonen, Andersson, Wallenheimo, and Bjork--all of whom were great finds. Didn't he also recruit the REC-ing Crew line of Ricci, Elders and Cary?

Comment

QUOTE=Puck Swami;4484751]Yes. Ritchie and his buddies saved the entire school. In 1989, DU was $12 million in debt, had $45 million in deferred maintenance and had to borrow money to make payroll. Ritchie kicked in $55 million of his own money and got another $300-400 million from his well-connected buddies to save the school. I will be forever grateful to the man who did more than anyone to make DU great again. He was the right man for that time.

But I will also say that Ritchie had some small downsides - he ruled by fear, and he didn't quite get the school spirit thing, either. Those two things are still standing in our way even now that he's been gone for a while.[/QUOTE]

A Vice President of Group W broadcasting (whose name I can't recall) is a DU alumnus and at the time was on the Board of Trustees. Ritchie was CEO of Group W, and when he was passed over to be CEO of Westinghouse, this alum engineered getting Dan on the BOT. Certainly the most fortuitous turn of events in the modern history of DU.

All this yacking about the hockey program would be "dust in the wind" if the school folded, and that was a distinct possibility. And Swami hit the nail on the head with "the school spirit thing," it may seem ungrateful or trivial to hold against Ritchie his musing about getting rid of the D-Rah, but I just felt that no matter how much money he generated, THAT was not part of his portfolio. But the pluses here hugely outweigh the minuses. Like the man said: "if ye seek his monument, look around."
                          Last edited by Old Pio; 11-25-2009, 03:12 PM.

Comment

A Vice President of Group W broadcasting (whose name I can't recall) is a DU alumnus and at the time was on the Board of Trustees. Ritchie was CEO of Group W, and when he was passed over to be CEO of Westinghouse, this alum engineered getting Dan on the BOT. Certainly the most fortuitous turn of events in the modern history of DU.

All this yacking about the hockey program would be "dust in the wind" if the school folded, and that was a distinct possibility. And Swami hit the nail on the head with "the school spirit thing," it may seem ungrateful or trivial to hold against Ritchie his musing about getting rid of the D-Rah, but I just felt that no matter how much money he generated, THAT was not part of his portfolio. But the pluses here hugely outweight the minuses. Like the man said: "if ye seek his monument, look around."
                            He didn't like Boone, either and gave us the silly bird Ruckus.

But saving the school, hiring Gwoz and bulding a $75 million arena are feathers in his cap....

Comment

He didn't like Boone, either and gave us the silly bird Ruckus.

But saving the school, hiring Gwoz and bulding a $75 million arena are feathers in his cap....
                              Really, really BIG feathers.

Comment

Okay, I'll ask: what WERE these issues with Serratore's temper?

Comment

Working...
                                X