This Week in ECAC Hockey Poll: Shootouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Week in ECAC Hockey Poll: Shootouts

Passionate followers: to what extent, if any, should the NCAA and/or ECAC Hockey adopt shootouts to decide game outcomes?
    They shouldn't. Shootouts are never appropriate.
    73.58%
    ECAC Hockey should use them in regular-season league games only.
    3.77%
    The NCAA as a whole should adopt shootouts in regular-season games.
    7.55%
    ECAC Hockey should use them in all league regular-season and playoff games.
    0.00%
    The NCAA should adopt shootouts to decide all games not won in overtime.
    9.43%
    Other/unsure (explain below).
    5.66%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by ECACHL writer; 11-05-2009, 08:54 AM.

Re: This Week in ECAC Hockey Poll: Shootouts

Look, even the NHL recognizes that shootouts ruin the integrity of the game, and that the true fans don't want to see them. That's why they eliminate them during the playoffs, and implement OT until someone scores. That's how the game was meant to be played, and unless we want hockey to turn into a skills exhibition like the NBA, I don't think shootouts have any part in the sport whatsoever.

Comment

I'd rather see instead of shootouts each team getting a 2 min power play to score as many goals as they can during that 2 minutes. And quite possibly to make it even more likely goals will be scored, make it 5 on 3 PP for the entire 2 minutes.
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

No shootouts, but I would like to see 4x4 in overtime.

Comment

Couldn't agree more Rodney. No shootouts but 4 on 4 would open up the ice so much more and lead to way less ties.

Comment

I wonder how many "nays" were at the Union-Yale game a few years ago.

Comment

5 minute 5x5, then put it in the books as a tie. No shootouts, no 3-point games, get off my lawn.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A shootout is not a hockey game. It's a skills contest. Would you decide a baseball game with a home run derby? No.

If you don't like ties, play the extra time. Otherwise, a tie is fine.
                Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Almost never. The only appropriate use of a shootout is in an invitational (not a league or NCAA) tournament, after a five-minute overtime, to determine the "winner" to advance to the championship game or the "winner" of the invitational, e.g. last year's Everblades Tournament. Officially, list as a tie.

Comment

I'm very interested in hearing from the conspicuous minority here ... three people voted for all-shootouts, all-the-time, as it were: all games not decided by a set overtime would go to a shootout format. If you didn't vote absolutely anti-shootout, I'd love to hear why. Email me or simply post it here, if you can!

Comment

I HATE ties. I would prefer overtime play until someone scores. The format doesn't matter to me how they do it, whether 5x5 or 4x4, and 5, 10, 15, or 20 minute OT periods, with breaks in between. If for whatever reason they don't want to do that, then shootouts for every tie in regulation + OT. Ties are unamerican, and if I were Canadian, I would consider then uncanadian.
                      RPI
                      Remember, whenever we score, you need to punch, shove, or throw the person next to you, or else you will be removed from our section.

Announcer: [Opposing Team] returns to full strength!
                      Crowd: That's de-
                      [HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK!!!]

Comment

I think the ecac should bring back the 10 minute overtime. 5 minutes is just not enough time. With 10 minutes you'll have far fewer ties and a far more exciting product on the ice. I'm not sure when (mid eighties) or why ( because thr NHL started doing it that way?) 5 minutes was adopted over 10 but it made for way more of an edge of your seat experience. Shootouts are just not hockey. They are something else. The ECAC is the league with some history. Let's go back to 10 minute OT the way college hockey was meant to be.
                        St. Lawrence University
                        World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Shootouts are fun to watch now and then. But they are exciting these days because they are rare to see in college hockey. I would like to witness a college hockey shootout once in a while, and have it mean something, but I don't want to see NCAA adopt a system like the NHL which makes shootouts common place. That would take away from the rarity and excitement therein.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronojon View Post
                            Ties are unamerican, and if I were Canadian, I would consider then uncanadian.
                            That may be the most idiotic thing I've ever read (and I've read quite a few of those). Congratulations.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                              That may be the most idiotic thing I've ever read (and I've read quite a few of those). Congratulations.
                              Whining about a comment made in jest is unamerican.
                              RPI
                              Remember, whenever we score, you need to punch, shove, or throw the person next to you, or else you will be removed from our section.

Announcer: [Opposing Team] returns to full strength!
                              Crowd: That's de-
                              [HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK!!!]

Comment

Working...
                              X