Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fighting Sioux name may change - Murphy's law

Originally posted by Turk 77 View Post
    April ? You are right that makes it better.
    It does. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside!
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
      It does. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside!
      Something tells me you are warm and fuzzy outside too

Comment

Something tells me you are warm and fuzzy outside too
        And purple! Just like Telly Monster!
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

is there a mascot? There's no one dressed up as a Native American Sioux warrior. I suppose it depends on definitions.
          THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
          1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
          1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
          University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
          University of Oregon Ducks Football
          San Francisco Giants
          Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

After they sold thier souls to Ralph Englestad they should have been addressed as Ralph Englstads University Of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. That being said they should remain the Sioux
            Worst case just take the feathers off the logo and call it Fighting Ralph. Fighting Sioux could still be used during the regular season then Fighting Ralph could be our substitute Ralph Englstad tribute logo for NCAA tournament games only.

That way the NCAA could retain their dignity knowing that those hostile and abusive feathers no longer appear in tournament games. At least not until tribal approval is received.
            Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 11-04-2009, 10:48 AM.
            "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
              Worst case just take the feathers off the logo and call it Fighting Ralph. Fighting Ralph could be our substitute logo for NCAA tournament games only.
              Gee wouldnt that be predjudicial to Ralphs all over the world ?

Comment

Gee wouldnt that be predjudicial to Ralphs all over the world ?
                We could ask USCHO super poster Ralph Baer.
                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Boosh View Post
                  I'm just going to throw this out there for all you losers, but are you all honestly so high and mighty that if a guy who went to your school came up to you and offered you a $100 million+ arena for free, you'd turn it down in a heartbeat and not be willing to look past some peculiarities that weren't even in the public eye?
                  Of course not.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

In other hot off the press news, I hear the Bruins traded Joe Thornton.
                    Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      The SBoHE has done exactly jacksquat in the two years since the settlement with the NCAA. It seems they haven't even tried to work something out with the two tribes.
                      It still boggles my mind that the board members, the chancellor, the governor, the attorney general and the congressional delegation didn't negotiate with those empty chairs. What were they thinking?

Then the SBoHE, having barely lifted a finger towards resolving this issue, set a deadline. The Spirit Lake Tribe met this deadline.
                      The Spirit Lake tribe did what it wanted to do by holding a referendum and then passing a resolution supporting UND's use of the Fighting Sioux nickname. It accomplished this amazing feat without negotiating with the State Board of Higher Education or anyone else from state governmet, without playing "Let's Make A Deal!" with UND or Engelstad Arena, without an election to remove the tribal chair (who was against UND's use of the nickname) and with months to spare before the board's deadline.

All of which proves that when a tribe is really motivated to get something done, it can.
                      Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Did the SBoHE even set up those chairs so that they had the chance of being empty? They seemed about 1/2 step above RHiT in trying to find a solution. They seemed to have asked once, got no for an answer and said "Well, we've done all we can. We give up! Let's just sit around for a year now, not doing a single thing one way or the other."

What Spirit Lake did or didn't do and how they accomplished it is irrelevant. If SBoHE/UND wants to keep the name, which obviously seems doubtful, they might just need to play games. Then again it is much easier to do nothing and blame Standing Rock. It's been a good ploy the last two years, so why not continue it?
                        Last edited by Dirty; 11-04-2009, 02:41 PM.
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I think the thing that bothers me the most with the whole name change controversy is the NCAA and some of its institutions ( The University Of Minnesota) talk out of both sides of thier mouths . It should either be all or none . The NCAA allows some of its schools to have Indian names while others are being penalized for it even though they show more respect for indian causes then some of the schools that are allowed to . Or in the U of M case they wont play teams with indian names unless its bringing them revenue and then its allowed

Comment

Am I wrong?

I thought that Ralph Englstad said if the Fighting Sioux name changes they lose the arena.

As I said, am I wrong?

Comment

I think the thing that bothers me the most with the whole name change controversy is the NCAA and some of its institutions ( The University Of Minnesota) talk out of both sides of thier mouths . It should either be all or none . The NCAA allows some of its schools to have Indian names while others are being penalized for it even though they show more respect for indian causes then some of the schools that are allowed to . Or in the U of M case they wont play teams with indian names unless its bringing them revenue and then its allowed
                              You can certainly criticize the U of Mn policy on playing teams with Native American nicknames, but at least state it correctly. They only play them if it is a conference game, part of a conference agreement or NCAA tournament game. i.e. the bouncyball games against Big East (I think) which are part of Big10 agreement and WCHA games against UND. They'll do it then, even if they lose money on it.

Comment

If the name goes away will Happy still refer to the UND team as the Sue, thereby continuing to dishonor both the NA's he is trying to protect and people named Sue (because it is associated with a word deemed inappropriate)?
                                Life's A Journey, Not A Destination......
                                Steven Tyler

Comment

Working...
                                X