UNO at MSU * Nov. 5/6 - CCHA Farewell Tour kick-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO at MSU * Nov. 5/6 - CCHA Farewell Tour kick-off

Somewhat intriguing - Spartan players may view this series with revenge on their minds after Mavs outscored them 10-2 last season. Will UNO keep its unbeaten record intact this weekend?

Both teams have pretty good goaltending. I wonder whose will prevail.

Re: UNO at MSU * Nov. 5/6 - CCHA Farewell Tour kick-off

It's comforting, in a strange way, that State is showing last year's disaster to be the aberation it apparently was. I suspect UNO is too highly ranked in what we like to call the "poles," but there definitely present in this team the nucleotides of a very fine team who will compete for a top spot in the league.

Players to watch for UNO:

17 Terry Broadhurst - freshman phenom, strongest forward off the boards since Jeff Hoggan, except he's got speed and hands that Hoggan didn't have.

9 Rich Purslow - current scoring leader - on a tear. Blasi sees him as a sniper, but unfortunately the only

30 John Faulkner - redshirt frosh goaltender. Pushed Jeremie Dupont out of the presumptive starter's role; is capable of frightengly good games but was average in his outing against BGSU.

7 Eddie Del Grosso - Aggressive defenseman, capable of jumping into, or, when he's not thinking, trying to be the entire, play. Excellent scoring touch.

UNO's always played Sparty well, and has historically played well at Munn. Should be a great matchup of two teams looking for a quantum improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by MavRick View Post
      It's comforting, in a strange way, that State is showing last year's disaster to be the aberation it apparently was. I suspect UNO is too highly ranked in what we like to call the "poles," but there definitely present in this team the nucleotides of a very fine team who will compete for a top spot in the league.

Players to watch for UNO:

17 Terry Broadhurst - freshman phenom, strongest forward off the boards since Jeff Hoggan, except he's got speed and hands that Hoggan didn't have.

9 Rich Purslow - current scoring leader - on a tear. Blasi sees him as a sniper, but unfortunately the only

30 John Faulkner - redshirt frosh goaltender. Pushed Jeremie Dupont out of the presumptive starter's role; is capable of frightengly good games but was average in his outing against BGSU.

7 Eddie Del Grosso - Aggressive defenseman, capable of jumping into, or, when he's not thinking, trying to be the entire, play. Excellent scoring touch.

UNO's always played Sparty well, and has historically played well at Munn. Should be a great matchup of two teams looking for a quantum improvement.
      Hmmm. Way to put this game under a microscope. Have you got a quantum mechanics or physics exam on the brain?

By now the word is probably out:
      Tropp - scores a lot. Petry and Grant - help Tropp score a lot. BTAIM, Appears like Spartans have a little more balanced scoring among the lines and among the years than a couple weeks back. And there's only one injury to speak of and he's not laced'em up since before the season.
      And you probably know there are blue-hairs among the freshman ("relatively" speaking). And the average weight is up about 5 pounds from last year and by and large the team is faster and a little more difficult to get knocked around. Also a little guy who knows power play and can move the puck like nobody's business (Krug).
      Also there are some more goals. That's always fun because flashing red lights in the eastern end of the ice makes the kids in Section V more talkative.
      Also, the goaltending hasn't fallen off.

Scratches for the weekend:
      3, 15, 16, 17, 32
      Last edited by owslachief; 11-04-2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I would also add:

24 John Kemp - probably the most naturally skilled player on the UNO team but is selfless to a fault; a tendency Blais has been very vocal about changing. He has the potential to be another Bryan Marshall or Andrew Wong for UNO down the line.

21 Mark Bernier - while Del Grosso gets most of the press, Bernier is not only a key leader in the locker room but is leading the team in +/- at +7 through 6 games. He's the thunder to Del Grosso's lightning.
        UNLEASH THE FURY!

Comment

Originally posted by Unomaholic View Post
          I would also add:

24 John Kemp - probably the most naturally skilled player on the UNO team but is selfless to a fault; a tendency Blais has been very vocal about changing. He has the potential to be another Bryan Marshall or Andrew Wong for UNO down the line.

21 Mark Bernier - while Del Grosso gets most of the press, Bernier is not only a key leader in the locker room but is leading the team in +/- at +7 through 6 games. He's the thunder to Del Grosso's lightning.
          Somehow I remember Del Grosso's thunder last year. Also that Swanson killed us. He may have had more goals than MSU did the entire weekend. What's up with him?
          Last edited by owslachief; 11-04-2009, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Swanson has had a slow start but has potential to break out. This team has no superstars but has lots of energy and appears to be buying into Blais's system. They also know how to come back in games and have done it several times. Except for last Friday night they also have played very well in the 3rd period.
            UNO Maverick Hockey - It doesn't get any better than this!

Comment

Originally posted by breed View Post
              Swanson has had a slow start but has potential to break out. This team has no superstars but has lots of energy and appears to be buying into Blais's system. They also know how to come back in games and have done it several times. Except for last Friday night they also have played very well in the 3rd period.
              Plays into the hands of UNO then. MSU's had some energy issues in the 3rd period.

This should be an outstanding test for MSU. Sounds as if the Mavericks go at you hard the entire 60 minutes. I'm just hoping they find their way to Dem Hall OK as our radio guy has suggested.

Comment

My wish for UNO this week would be to play hard all 60 minutes. MSU has been playing good hockey and they have the home ice advantage. But UNO can play good hockey too.

This should be a good match-up. GO MAVS!

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                  Plays into the hands of UNO then. MSU's had some energy issues in the 3rd period.

This should be an outstanding test for MSU. Sounds as if the Mavericks go at you hard the entire 60 minutes. I'm just hoping they find their way to Dem Hall OK as our radio guy has suggested.
                  I guess they better pack their roller blades!!

Comment

UNO lost in a shoot out to a down and out BG team and squeaked out a win on night two last weekend, I would wager MSU can handle them.

Comment

Big Ten Network will be streaming the game tonight. Unfortunately it is $2.99 so I will not be buying. I don't see how everything went from being free to being three bucks PER GAME. There is no way hockey, basketball (exhibition, at that), and volleyball are worth the same price.

I wish they would actually put their alternate channels to use for something besides football overflow so we could see more live events. Tonight we could see Grace-Indiana basketball, UNO-MSU hockey and Duluth-Minny basketball, but instead we only get Grace-Indiana.

For those that want to buy the game though, I hear Jeff Lerg will be the color commentator.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Oldetimehockey View Post
                        UNO lost in a shoot out to a down and out BG team and squeaked out a win on night two last weekend, I would wager MSU can handle them.
                        Right. Absolute creampuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          Big Ten Network will be streaming the game tonight. Unfortunately it is $2.99 so I will not be buying. I don't see how everything went from being free to being three bucks PER GAME. There is no way hockey, basketball (exhibition, at that), and volleyball are worth the same price.

I wish they would actually put their alternate channels to use for something besides football overflow so we could see more live events. Tonight we could see Grace-Indiana basketball, UNO-MSU hockey and Duluth-Minny basketball, but instead we only get Grace-Indiana.

For those that want to buy the game though, I hear Jeff Lerg will be the color commentator.
                          I suppose if it's 2 or 3 times a month forced to do it I'd buy it. But that's the nature of internet-based media. Goes from free to something else.

Comment

I was at the game and came away impressed with Michigan State's 3-0 victory. I thought they outplayed and out hustled UNO especially in the second half of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                              I was at the game and came away impressed with Michigan State's 3-0 victory. I thought they outplayed and out hustled UNO especially in the second half of the game.
                              Even in 3rd - when UNO started skating, D held its own and was accountable. Do you remember more than a couple odd-man rushes for Mavs the entire game?

Comment

Working...
                              X