X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 Part II: I Believe in Seth Appert

Originally posted by Beman View Post
    Just a fun game tonight. The engineers looked real good after 2 but the 1st half ot the 3rd they looked awful, the line changes ughhh! buttttt then angers gooooloush put the puck on Pirrirrrrrrrri stick and he buried it high finially someone who can finish a play.
    Nice, great save by York with like 6 minutes 1 on 0 he made a right leg pad save that was great

I wish I picked the engineers to finish higher than 4th in the ecac
    Just an odd game though-Yale controlled play in our zone all night. York played very well but Yale missed numerous chances. We do have an offense now though and we can make teams pay if they dont keep on top of us all night. We won on a night that we did not have our best game-Will be nice to see how much more we can do with Helfrich and Rabbani back next week. Key game tomorrow-cannot take brown lightly. Do not want a repeat of last weekend against Army.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Just an odd game though-Yale controlled play in our zone all night. York played very well but Yale missed numerous chances. We do have an offense now though and we can make teams pay if they dont keep on top of us all night. We won on a night that we did not have our best game-Will be nice to see how much more we can do with Helfrich and Rabbani back next week. Key game tomorrow-cannot take brown lightly. Do not want a repeat of last weekend against Army.
      I have to disagree a bit Doc. The first ten minnutes of this game we had Yale running for the door...they were on their heels. We played a very talented team tonight and a team like that is going to get their chances. York made all of the saves and then some tonight and his D helped him out in clearing away several loose pucks - especially in the 3rd. Not to mention our PK went 6 for 7. We might've been outshot , etc. etc. but we kept their forwards bottled up for much of the night

Our offense made some very pretty plays and more improtantly, had an answer every time Yale scored. Not to mention Polacek could well have had a hat trick tonight -- had he not snapped two sticks in half attempting one timers with plenty of net to shoot at. (They don't make those $300 carbon sticks like they used to. )

Bottom line for me tonight was this team was tenacious and was throwing bodies all night. Even guys like Halpern were standing their guys up. In the 1st, Patty Cullen got absolutely flattened at center ice, then proceeded to get up and take the puck away from yale, skate it in and hit a streaking Polacek who passed to Halpern for our second goal...tremendous effort. This team doesn't quit. If that isn't a sign of progress and high expectations, I don't know what is. Great job by RPI tonight.

Did anyone else see Austin Smith dressing-down Yale's Mason after the final horn? Mason had had several cheap shot hits and slashes that of course went uncalled. To our credit, we didn't retaliate...but Smith got in his grill after the RR horn blew. Classic -- LOVE the attitude.
      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 11-06-2009, 09:44 PM.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
        I have to disagree a bit Doc. The first ten minnutes of this game we had Yale running for the door...they were on their heels. We played a very talented team tonight and a team like that is going to get their chances. York made all of the saves and then some tonight and his D helped him out in clearing away several loose pucks - especially in the 3rd. Not to mention our PK went 6 for 7. We might've been outshot , etc. etc. but we kept their forwards bottled up for much of the night

Our offense made some very pretty plays and more improtantly, had an answer every time Yale scored. Not to mention Polacek could well have had a hat trick tonight -- had he not snapped two sticks in half attempting one timers with plenty of net to shoot at. (They don't make those $300 carbon sticks like they used to. )

Bottom line for me tonight was this team was tenacious and was throwing bodies all night. Even guys like Halpern were standing their guys up. In the 1st, Patty Cullen got absolutely flattened at center ice, then proceeded to get up and take the puck away from yale, skate it in and hit a streaking Polacek who passed to Halpern for our second goal...tremendous effort. This team doesn't quit. If that isn't a sign of progress and high expectations, I don't know what is. Great job by RPI tonight.

Did anyone else see Austin Smith dressing-down Yale's Mason after the final horn? Mason had had several cheap shot hits and slashes that of course went uncalled. To our credit, we didn't retaliate...but Smith got in his grill after the RR horn blew. Classic -- LOVE the attitude.
        Usually agree with you-watched this one tonight and we played well but there were just too many long periods of time where Yale set up in our zone and we just could not get the puck out. Hardest hit of the night may have been the one Kennedy took behind his own net. I agree we had our opportunites but Yale had numerous chances and just could not connect. A great win for sure but we will have to do a lot more if we are to have success in the ECAC this year against the other Ivies. On paper 5-2 looks great but this one was not an easy win.

Comment

Usually agree with you-watched this one tonight and we played well but there were just too many long periods of time where Yale set up in our zone and we just could not get the puck out. Hardest hit of the night may have been the one Kennedy took behind his own net. I agree we had our opportunites but Yale had numerous chances and just could not connect. A great win for sure but we will have to do a lot more if we are to have success in the ECAC this year against the other Ivies. On paper 5-2 looks great but this one was not an easy win.
          You can qualify it and shoulda/woulda the game until we all pass out from fatigue Doc. There are always things to improve upon. Bottom line tonight was a three goal win in the league opener against the defending champs.

Enjoy it - we've been waiting too long for nights like this.
          Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 11-06-2009, 09:56 PM.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Wow, big win, nice going. I'm sure you got Yale riled up for Union tomorrow night. Would love to send the Elis home with a goosegg in 2 CD games. You should be able to handle Brown based on what I saw from them tonight, but it probably won't be easy, they play hard, are big and clog up the middle.

Comment

Hope they beat Brown But But But.. I am so sorry this was the best game they played since Cavosie and Murley were there.
              The shots on York were from the outside and rebounds were taken care of. York is scary. Scary good!
              There were some big hits at big moments. Don't mean to disagree but that was the best game RPI has played in HFH since Seth arrived from planet Denver.

Comment

Doc, I read what you wrote on the scores thread and what you said above, and all I can say, is that it must have looked very different on the screen that it did in person. While there were two times during the game that RPI seemed to lose focus, they were short lived and they played a very good aggresive game.
                If they play like that every night, we will be at or near the top of the ECAC.
                This was just one game, and until we put a few of these together, I am not going to get over excited. By I did enjoy my trip to Troy this evening.
                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                Benjamin Franklin
                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                Gary Player

Comment

Did anyone else see Austin Smith dressing-down Yale's Mason after the final horn?
                  That was Houston Smith.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Incredible effort tonight. I'll have more later.
                    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 Part II: I Believe in Seth Appert

You can qualify it and shoulda/woulda the game until we all pass out from fatigue Doc. There are always things to improve upon. Bottom line tonight was a three goal win in the league opener against the defending champs.

Enjoy it - we've been waiting too long for nights like this.
                      Oh I did enjoy it-just pointing out that this time the score did not reflect the game I saw-as evidenced by the shot totals. Yale impressed me-they are a very good fast team with good control coming from their backline. And we do have lots of things to improve upon. I will feel a lot better if we can get an impressive performance tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                        Passing that I haven't seen from an RPI team in years.
                        They skate the puck out of their end and they have a plan.
                        I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard this after the game last night at the Field House. I'd have at least $10. The passing was that pronounced. I was amazed at the number of times I said "pass it!" during the game (you know, since I'm used to passes not being made) and they did! And they created scoring chances with them!

The puckhandling is also markedly better than it has been in the recent past.

D'Amigo's goal stuck out at me for a number of reasons. A couple of years ago, that goal wouldn't have happened because A) there wouldn't have been anyone over there, B) if there had been someone over there, he wouldn't have handled the puck correctly, C) if he had handled the puck correctly, he wouldn't have thought to stuff it in the net quickly, and D) if he had thought to do so, he would have managed to fire it directly into the goaltender's numbers.

All of that went through my head in the time period between D'Amigo taking the puck and the horn going off.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

last nights game is why you sit through all those L's and tough years what a win
                          I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Did any poster purchase one of the Black Friday jerseys?
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

LOL ! Take a look at you guys (Doc and Wicked)...when's the last time we has posters going back and forth like this on a win ?

I was at the game last night with my son again, and actually think that you both make some very good points. There were times that it didnt seem like we could get out of our zone. Lets not forget that Yale won the conference last year and is the number 6 ranked team in the country (at least until the boys got threw with them !)...I would have expected that they hemmed anyone in the country in at times. They (Yale) did play smart and as a group and look pretty darn good at times. It will be great to see us beat them again in the ECAC tourney (I expect them to be there).

As for boys in black last night, you are also right that we made some mistakes and have some areas for improvement. EVERY team does. For me the difference is that we actually capitalized on chances, and did so multiple times. At the beginning of the 3rd, I thought we were in trouble as we couldnt even get across center ice, and then we get a goal out of nowhere out of sheer hard work (I think the Pirri goal). I also loved the effort - again. I was too delerious to recall who scored off of the drop pass in the 3rd, but that whole play got set up because Kennedy busted *** to turn a 2 on 2 to a 3 on 2 and crashed the net driving the defenseman on the left side back and creating space for the drop. I havent seen the game sheets but doubt that he got a point on that goal, but his effort was the difference that created the opportunity.

I have been following the RPI threads for a little over 3 ears now and have felt all of your pain and heartache, and didnt want to post when not seeing the little things happen that are the difference makers. I have posted several times this year because I like what I have seen with this team. They work. They stick together. They have fun. They really are not afraid of anyone. They know and want to play big. They have attitude, and its infectious. I am reading the posts about Mason who has been around a while and was clearly frustrated last night and gunning for people. I wanted someone to just lay that SOB out and send a message, but it didnt happen. I LOVE SMITH. I have mentioned him a couple of times before, and I forgot who posted it but he did go get right in his face after the game. We picked up the hitting when needed and Yale was a frustrated team. I'm glad we didnt run him during the game and take a stupid penalty. The score said it all. I also loved when Mason got kicked out of the faceoff circle and lined across from CJ Lee and took a swipe at him right off the drop. CJ face to faced with him and let him know that he wasnt intimidated and then gave him a sly little tug just to **** him off even more. Sure Mason was running around after that, but he wasnt playing a team game. The boys in black we poised and kept their heads on straight and won because they deserved it.

I have also said in a couple of prior game posts that there is talent on this RPI team and that we were getting tons of chances and that our day would come. We start popping in 5 a game and the world is a different place. We have only gotten a couple in the prior games, and if we only get 2 in this one there might have been a different outcome (us being ahead took Yale out of their game and they may have gotten more). I still think that we need to shoot more and not be so fancy in the offensive zone. Puck on net are always a good thing. I continue to like what I see. The games are fun to watch, which I dont think can be said much about the recent past. The field house was rocking. They keep this up and it will not be long until the place will be sold out and tickets hard to come by...and that could happen this year. I keep watching the recruits thread - this team is going to be completely off the charts when JL arrives (I cant think in any other terms that him being here). Anyone else need sunglasses because the future looks so bright ??

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
                                LOL ! Take a look at you guys (Doc and Wicked)...when's the last time we has posters going back and forth like this on a win ?

I was at the game last night with my son again, and actually think that you both make some very good points. There were times that it didnt seem like we could get out of our zone. Lets not forget that Yale won the conference last year and is the number 6 ranked team in the country (at least until the boys got threw with them !)...I would have expected that they hemmed anyone in the country in at times. They (Yale) did play smart and as a group and look pretty darn good at times. It will be great to see us beat them again in the ECAC tourney (I expect them to be there).

As for boys in black last night, you are also right that we made some mistakes and have some areas for improvement. EVERY team does. For me the difference is that we actually capitalized on chances, and did so multiple times. At the beginning of the 3rd, I thought we were in trouble as we couldnt even get across center ice, and then we get a goal out of nowhere out of sheer hard work (I think the Pirri goal). I also loved the effort - again. I was too delerious to recall who scored off of the drop pass in the 3rd, but that whole play got set up because Kennedy busted *** to turn a 2 on 2 to a 3 on 2 and crashed the net driving the defenseman on the left side back and creating space for the drop. I havent seen the game sheets but doubt that he got a point on that goal, but his effort was the difference that created the opportunity.

I have been following the RPI threads for a little over 3 ears now and have felt all of your pain and heartache, and didnt want to post when not seeing the little things happen that are the difference makers. I have posted several times this year because I like what I have seen with this team. They work. They stick together. They have fun. They really are not afraid of anyone. They know and want to play big. They have attitude, and its infectious. I am reading the posts about Mason who has been around a while and was clearly frustrated last night and gunning for people. I wanted someone to just lay that SOB out and send a message, but it didnt happen. I LOVE SMITH. I have mentioned him a couple of times before, and I forgot who posted it but he did go get right in his face after the game. We picked up the hitting when needed and Yale was a frustrated team. I'm glad we didnt run him during the game and take a stupid penalty. The score said it all. I also loved when Mason got kicked out of the faceoff circle and lined across from CJ Lee and took a swipe at him right off the drop. CJ face to faced with him and let him know that he wasnt intimidated and then gave him a sly little tug just to **** him off even more. Sure Mason was running around after that, but he wasnt playing a team game. The boys in black we poised and kept their heads on straight and won because they deserved it.

I have also said in a couple of prior game posts that there is talent on this RPI team and that we were getting tons of chances and that our day would come. We start popping in 5 a game and the world is a different place. We have only gotten a couple in the prior games, and if we only get 2 in this one there might have been a different outcome (us being ahead took Yale out of their game and they may have gotten more). I still think that we need to shoot more and not be so fancy in the offensive zone. Puck on net are always a good thing. I continue to like what I see. The games are fun to watch, which I dont think can be said much about the recent past. The field house was rocking. They keep this up and it will not be long until the place will be sold out and tickets hard to come by...and that could happen this year. I keep watching the recruits thread - this team is going to be completely off the charts when JL arrives (I cant think in any other terms that him being here). Anyone else need sunglasses because the future looks so bright ??
                                That is pretty much the way I saw it-we buried our chances but this game was far from what the scoresheet showed. I am very optimistic about this team and just want to see that kind of effort all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X