X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 Part II: I Believe in Seth Appert

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    PS: Doc D: I thought of you the other day when I stumbled upon a name from the past -- the great Eugene Binda. As it turns out he working as the director of officiating for the EJHL...
    After that playoff game in Hamilton where BOTH bands played 3 blind mice, I feel REALLY sorry for that league.....

And the AHL too, I hear Frank Murphy is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Helfich, Bergin, and Lee are all out for Niagara. All are expected back for the RPI tourney. Bergin has a grade 1 concussion. http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...8416307027.txt
      Uh oh, with a concussion we may not see him for the tournament either (although Coach says he'll be ready, you never know). Hopefully he is healthy when we play Cornell...

Comment

Helfich, Bergin, and Lee are all out for Niagara. All are expected back for the RPI tourney. Bergin has a grade 1 concussion. http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...8416307027.txt
        This is the right thing to do. Niagara is not a significant game on any level.
        If players need to heal, give them all the time they need.
        I also see Bryce Merriam in goal tomorrow night. There will not be many possible games for him after Wednesday.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Uh oh, with a concussion we may not see him for the tournament either (although Coach says he'll be ready, you never know). Hopefully he is healthy when we play Cornell...
          I assume that Grade 1 is the least severe. (DrD?) Not that any concussion should be viewed lightly.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I assume that Grade 1 is the least severe. (DrD?) Not that any concussion should be viewed lightly.
            Correct Ralph-In the old days what is now called a Grade I concussion was just passed over and the player played through it. I suspect the team will not take any chances (and neither will the Doc who diagnosed it). They will still consider it a concussion and make sure he is clear before playing. If he has any residua-like head pain, confusion or eye signs-they will keep him out of practice and play for some time-perhaps up to 6 weeks. They are far more careful nowadays with possible concussions than they used to be. Grade I usually clears quickly-within days to a week or 2. Any of us who have played contact sports probably suffered one at some time and may not have even known it The thing to watch for-some people are far more prone to concussions than others suffering the same trauma. And concussions are thought to be additive-so that a couple of Grade I's may equal a Grade 3 or 4. Lots of players have had their careers cut short by multiple concussions that just add up.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Weekend recap is up at Without A Peer.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                Weekend recap is up at Without A Peer.
                "Without A Peer"? Are you lamenting the fact that Arnie Peer is no longer reffing in the HFH (and probably hasn't in over 20 years)? facepalm?

BTW, nice recaps.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

"Without A Peer"? Are you lamenting the fact that Arnie Peer is no longer reffing in the HFH (and probably hasn't in over 20 years)? facepalm?
                  Wow, Arnie Peer, there's a name from the past. He was a real gentleman who I met many years ago as a young attorney. I never knew he was involved in hockey until years afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by RobTricks View Post
                    With a one-man crew, the one man has to watch the puck, or else.
                    Which is exactly why we need to have two people on the mike.

As Rob knows, hockey is by far the toughest game to call live. He correctly pointed out that a guy working alone has all he can do to follow the puck and get the words out of his mouth fast enough, let alone have time to glance away to see what's happening in front of the net or away from the puck or on the bench...odds are some things are going to be missed and the broadcast suffers for it.

I don't recall Heiman drawing Brut's call into question, but I trust GLM. That said, if the opposing teams announcers are laughing on the air about the call that benefitted their team, I think we've sacrificed too much to objectivity, jeopardizing an accurate account of what is happening on the ice, which we are all hoping is what we are listening to.

Let me be clear -- I'm not trying to run down Heiman -I appreciate his time and efforts. (Compared to "Screaming Jason" from year's past, he is a godsend. ) My point is, this one play is prime example of why we need two people on the mike for games. There's just too much ice for one guy to see it all and catch all the nuances, action away from the puck, etc.

OK, I've gotten that off my chest for this season... I'll now brace myself for the anger I will now face for criticizing WRPI.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      This is the right thing to do. Niagara is not a significant game on any level.
                      If players need to heal, give them all the time they need.
                      I also see Bryce Merriam in goal tomorrow night. There will not be many possible games for him after Wednesday.
                      I'm only gonna say this once about Niagara: Beware of the trap game. If we take them lightly it will be a long trip home on the Thruway.

(Don't believe me? Just ask the Cowboys how they made out at Lambeau last Sunday??...HOW 'BOUT DEM PACKERS !!! YEEEE HAAWWWW !!
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                        Wow, Arnie Peer, there's a name from the past. He was a real gentleman who I met many years ago as a young attorney. I never knew he was involved in hockey until years afterward.
                        My recollection is that he was one of the better refs back then.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          Which is exactly why we need to have two people on the mike.

As Rob knows, hockey is by far the toughest game to call live. He correctly pointed out that a guy working alone has all he can do to follow the puck and get the words out of his mouth fast enough, let alone have time to glance away to see what's happening in front of the net or away from the puck or on the bench...odds are some things are going to be missed and the broadcast suffers for it.

I don't recall Heiman drawing Brut's call into question, but I trust GLM. That said, if the opposing teams announcers are laughing on the air about the call that benefitted their team, I think we've sacrificed too much to objectivity, jeopardizing an accurate account of what is happening on the ice, which we are all hoping is what we are listening to.

Let me be clear -- I'm not trying to run down Heiman -I appreciate his time and efforts. (Compared to "Screaming Jason" from year's past, he is a godsend. ) My point is, this one play is prime example of why we need two people on the mike for games. There's just too much ice for one guy to see it all and catch all the nuances, action away from the puck, etc.

OK, I've gotten that off my chest for this season... I'll now brace myself for the anger I will now face for criticizing WRPI.
                          Wicked-really agree about the need for 2 guys on the mike but have to say if I have my choice of who to listen to I pick Tim. He has done a consistently excellent job. But you are so right-no 1 guy can see it all when it comes to hockey.

Comment

In regards to Bergin and concussions-the Americn Academy of Neurology has a new scale of Grading concussions from 1-3 (I do not know why they dropped Grade 4. If Bergin did indeed suffer a Grade 1 then there was no loss of consciousness at all and his immediate symptoms must have cleared within 15 minutes. I am old fashioned and still like the older grading system. Also, there are a myriad of symptoms that are considered late symptoms which can appear days to weeks later that need to be taken into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              I am old fashioned and still like the older grading system...
                              Why am I picturing DocD standing over an injured player asking him: " How many fingers?..."

I think my high school football coach used the older grading system too...Our starting fullback/linebacker got knocked out cold on a helmet to helmet hit. He missed a series or two while the smelling salts kicked in...THEN the coach put him back in. That is, until his mom jumnped the chain link and threatened the coach with castration...true story.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                                Young attorney? You haven't had to go up against Alex Dell yet, have you?

Comment

Working...
                                X