X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 Part II: I Believe in Seth Appert

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Burger was on the ice for one of the goals because he was on the PK...Incuding Brutlag's interference which came about ten seconds after RPI had finished killing Foss' penalty.

Speaking of which, FlagDude: What did you think of the call on Brutlag? The reason I ask is not to delve into any kind of 'we got screwed" diatribe, but because of what T-Bone told me. He was driving into deer camp and was listening to the game from on SLU radio. He said the SLU radio announcers used the word "terrible" when describing the call on Brut saying it was a "clean play", and they also questioned " What was Brutlag supposed to do?"

I haven't read anyone else commenting on it, just wondering what you thought. In any event, credit SLU radio for calling like they see it.
    Not addressed to me, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. As I recall, it was when SLU was trying to break in to our zone, carrying the puck down the near side right in front of my seats. Brutlag went to stand him up at the blue line but the SLU skater dumped the puck before he got to Brutlag. When Bryan leveled the guy as he skated into him the ref's arm went up and he called interference.

DrD's more recent message hit the nail on the head regarding what's being called interference. There's absolutely no consistency between refs or even between calls by the same ref. I'll admit the Brutlag penalty could have gone either way - but the fact that the exact same play had gone unpenalized multiple times already in the same game, made it a garbage call to put us down a man on immediately after killing a penalty already.
    APBWiki

Comment

Niagara is a home game (Grand Island) for Mark Zarbo...anyone think that Appert will put him in he lineup? If I go to the game, is it OK for me to heckle his parents for not sending their younger sons to RPI?
      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 11-16-2009, 07:01 PM.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
        Not addressed to me, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. As I recall, it was when SLU was trying to break in to our zone, carrying the puck down the near side right in front of my seats. Brutlag went to stand him up at the blue line but the SLU skater dumped the puck before he got to Brutlag. When Bryan leveled the guy as he skated into him the ref's arm went up and he called interference.

DrD's more recent message hit the nail on the head regarding what's being called interference. There's absolutely no consistency between refs or even between calls by the same ref. I'll admit the Brutlag penalty could have gone either way - but the fact that the exact same play had gone unpenalized multiple times already in the same game, made it a garbage call to put us down a man on immediately after killing a penalty already.
        Thanks for the recap GRuss...much appreciated.

The consistent inconsistency in the ECAC is maddening. Which makes Stewart's inaugural statement that "...we're going to call the games like we'd want them called if we were playing..." ring all the more hollow.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post

That was precisely the type of play and call that baffled me during the Army game. We're not talking about the traditional call when a defender ties up a forward looking to take a pass. This was a case of the forward trying to play the puck forward past a well-positioned defender and getting stood up at the blue line. It seems as if defensemen can't complete a play without being called for interference. That's ridiculous.
          Last edited by rpi82; 11-16-2009, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
            That was precisely the type of play and call that baffled me during the Army game. We're not talking about the traditional call when a defender ties up a forward looking to take a pass. This was a case of the forward trying to play the puck forward past a well-positioned defender and getting stood up at the blue line. It seems as if defensemen can't complete a play without being called for interference. That's ridiculous.
            They're allowed to complete the play if their jersey is not cherry, white, and contains on the front in no particular order R, P, and I. :P

Thanks for covering that, GRuss... no wonder I couldn't see it if it was right in front of your area.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
              Just once, I would like the officials to stand up and verbalize what is a penalty in that situation.
              They do what they want and none of the teams knows what is a penalty and what is not. This should not be so subjective that the referees can actually control the flow of the game.
              They should be invisible, and yet, we see more of the ECAC referees than we do of the players.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                I'm happy with most of our play-style this year, and last night was an off night. We'll pick it up come Niagara.
                I hope you're right. But the boys will need to be ready. Niagara might be winless but they can play a bit. They hung with UMass - tie game into the 3rd period.

Comment

Burger was on the ice for one of the goals because he was on the PK...Incuding Brutlag's interference which came about ten seconds after RPI had finished killing Foss' penalty.

Speaking of which, FlagDude: What did you think of the call on Brutlag? The reason I ask is not to delve into any kind of 'we got screwed" diatribe, but because of what T-Bone told me. He was driving into deer camp and was listening to the game from on SLU radio. He said the SLU radio announcers used the word "terrible" when describing the call on Brut saying it was a "clean play", and they also questioned " What was Brutlag supposed to do?"

I haven't read anyone else commenting on it, just wondering what you thought. In any event, credit SLU radio for calling like they see it.
                  I mentioned this on the SLU thread. It was a terrible call. Brutlag did exactly what he should in that situation and it was not a penalty. The officiating was, well, this is the ECAC! The only thing that washes that out in my mind is that McKenzie got tackled while shooting in the slot while Foss was in the box a few minutes earlier. No question about the Brutlag call though....absolutely the wrong call. Sorry if that was the difference in the game...no one from Canton wants to win that way even if we have lost that way a few times! I think you guys will be doing some winning with the young guys you have provided they stick around. Sorry too you had some key guys out. We did too with Flanagan, Jared Keller and Cunningham all out or injured during the game.

Good luck until we come to Troy. You guys have a fun team to watch and other than a few bad calls that was a pretty good game!
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                    I mentioned this on the SLU thread. It was a terrible call. Brutlag did exactly what he should in that situation and it was not a penalty. The officiating was, well, this is the ECAC! The only thing that washes that out in my mind is that McKenzie got tackled while shooting in the slot while Foss was in the box a few minutes earlier. No question about the Brutlag call though....absolutely the wrong call. Sorry if that was the difference in the game...no one from Canton wants to win that way even if we have lost that way a few times! I think you guys will be doing some winning with the young guys you have provided they stick around. Sorry too you had some key guys out. We did too with Flanagan, Jared Keller and Cunningham all out or injured during the game.

Good luck until we come to Troy. You guys have a fun team to watch and other than a few bad calls that was a pretty good game!
                    Good to hear another view Got 6. We can all agree that the officiating still sucks, even with Stewart at the wheel. SLU played us tough as I fully expected...no regrets they earned the W. RPI had their chances on the PP in the 1st. We won't be so nice when the Larries come to Troy.

PS: Doc D: I thought of you the other day when I stumbled upon a name from the past -- the great Eugene Binda. As it turns out he working as the director of officiating for the EJHL...

Comment

I just find it curious that the SLU guys thought the Brut call was a bad call, but not a peep out of WRPI 's broadcast about it. Although not having a color man in the booth makes for a lot of work for one person.
                      With a one-man crew, the one man has to watch the puck, or else.
                      Mileage logged, 2005-06: 12759

Comment

Originally posted by RobTricks View Post
                        With a one-man crew, the one man has to watch the puck, or else.
                        Added to that is that the RPI guys always pride themselves on trying to be objective. Heiman did disagree with the call but didn't go bonkers over it. Then again, calling RPI games for a year or two and seeing how calls have been made in the past can just make you numb to bad calls.
                        R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                          The officiating was, well, this is the ECAC!
                          You have a one track mind. Maybe we should play without referees.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

but not a peep out of WRPI 's broadcast about it
                            Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                            Heiman did disagree with the call
                            ???
                            Mileage logged, 2005-06: 12759

Comment

Helfich, Bergin, and Lee are all out for Niagara. All are expected back for the RPI tourney. Bergin has a grade 1 concussion. http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...8416307027.txt
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RobTricks View Post
                                ???
                                He made a single passing comment and kept the broadcast moving along.
                                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X