PDA

View Full Version : OhhowIhate... NMU @ tOSU, 11/6-11/7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

aceman5434
11-06-2009, 09:38 PM
NMU wins 1-0...Olver scores the only goal. Ellingson gets the shutout, and makes a statement for being the #1 goaltender. Chewie is named "Hardest Working Player" of the game tonight.

NMU8405
11-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I agree with you on both points. I kind of let myself slip into a one track-mind that there was only one way for the message that the undicisplined play was not acceptable. Let's hope that the team can pick up some points tonight

Chewy wins the "Hardest Working" player of the game.

NMUFAN
11-06-2009, 09:55 PM
A huge win for the boys! Congrats to Ellingson on his 1st college shutout. Now lets work on finishing on our offensive chances.

nmupiccdiva
11-06-2009, 10:11 PM
:)

Congrats to Ellingson!

Billy Blanks
11-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Have we found a new starting goalie? I think so!

Have we possibly turned this season around? I think so!

Go Cats!

boot_walt_kyle
11-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Chewy wins the "Hardest Working" player of the game.

and I'm glad to hear it. He has all the potential in the world and plays with so much passion. Glad to see like he seems to have gotten more of a level-head and avoided any stupid penalties. It seems the coaching staff may have done something right this past week.

boot_walt_kyle
11-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Overall, A solid win for NMU, but I'm not completely happy with it. Someone has to tell the rest of the team that someone not named Mark Olver is allowed to put the puck in the net from time to time. Gron, Fox, Hanson, et. al. I'm looking in your direction. Start scoring!! Thankfully, Reid was able to come up with some good solid goaltending and NMU got a much needed win. All I have to say is 1 goal isn't going to get many wins. Still, a win is a win, and three points is three points. Hopefully tomorrow we'll make it six.

*edit* Can someone tell me what is up with Miller and Butcher. I know they both had injuries last season, but they seem bad this year. Anyone have any clue what's up with that?

NMU8405
11-07-2009, 12:01 AM
*edit* Can someone tell me what is up with Miller and Butcher. I know they both had injuries last season, but they seem bad this year. Anyone have any clue what's up with that?

If you are expecting Miller to find the scoresheet, keep wishing. Any offense out of him is a bonus. He is a great defensive defensemen who blocks ALOT of shots. If you could define Wildcat hockey in spirt, hardwork and determination, its T.J. Miller. Though, Im not sure the reason he sat out last week.

As for Butcher, Id like to see more offense out of him but he is such a vital asset on this team for winning faceoffs, which as we saw last year really sparked this team. There were at least three instances last season where winning the faceoff allowed Northern to win and tie the game (vs. Notre Dame at the Joe last year being one of them). I know that was without Butcher, but he is the best faceoff man on this team.

davyd83
11-07-2009, 01:52 AM

Bad??? What is bad??? TJ played his best game of the season last night after missing last weekend due to injury. He did have a tough time in the opener, but played well in Duluth and against Bemidji. Butcher played very well in the 2nd Miami game and again tonight. Against Bemidji he was out of the lineup on Friday because of the flu, probably should have Saturday night in that series, but gutted it out and gave it a go anyway (must be another one that hasn't played with heart since Riipi graduated) and was still not 100% last weekend, yet still played pretty well.

DETBrass27
11-07-2009, 08:02 AM
The line with Butcher and Hanson was by far the best offensive line of the night, which has been said. There were still a majority of penalties on NMU, but the overall number was down from 10,7,8, etc.. down to 5 with no majors. The fundamentals seemed to be a lot stronger this week than even in last week against Miami and continue to improve. And, Ellingson is playing great. Even though I didn't see any of his saves, the way dave and dave were on the radio (boy it's good to have you two back together), Ellingson made a lot of key saves at times that he needed to on some very difficult shots.

Great effort by the Cats tonight, and here's hoping for another strong showing and another Wildcat Victory!

aparch
11-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Have we found a new starting goalie? I think so!

Have we possibly turned this season around? I think so!

Go Cats!

1) For now. The team plays differently in front of every goalie. With Reid, their comfort level of "aww, he'll stop that shot... oh, dammit" is nill, so ALL the players on the ice will have an extra jump in their step to get back in the defensive zone with a new goalie.

2) There wasn't much to turn around, this is how the team SHOULD be playing in front of Stewart. <strike>Emo Manny Legace</strike> erm, Stewart needs to treat this just like he did with Janzen in net last January in Madison, and come out with a fire to get his job back. He IS replaceable, and he needs to know this.

It sounded like it was a hell of an effort, and the gritty piano movers need to continue to work this hard all season.

tic tac toe
11-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Goal 22 seconds into the game then nothing, these are just two under achieving teams.

boot_walt_kyle
11-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Bad??? What is bad??? TJ played his best game of the season last night after missing last weekend due to injury. He did have a tough time in the opener, but played well in Duluth and against Bemidji. Butcher played very well in the 2nd Miami game and again tonight. Against Bemidji he was out of the lineup on Friday because of the flu, probably should have Saturday night in that series, but gutted it out and gave it a go anyway (must be another one that hasn't played with heart since Riipi graduated) and was still not 100% last weekend, yet still played pretty well.

I didn't think he played that well in the 2nd Miami game, and I wasn't aware that he had the flu for the second game of the BSU series, that would explain a lot. Maybe I just had higher expectations for him than were realistic.

pgb-ohio
11-07-2009, 11:14 AM
You guys need to give more credit to your D-pair of Gustafasson and Macaulay. It seemed like they played half the game, and really controlled the action while on the ice.

Sure Ellingson did well. But as often happens, goalies get too much credit for shutouts and too much blame when things go poorly. #7 & #4 were really solid last night.

aparch
11-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Goal 22 seconds into the game then nothing, these are just two under achieving teams.

Get a lead and:
http://www.nmubaseball.net/uscho/Devilzzzz.jpg

(Too lazy to look for my Neutral Zone Trap diagram. ;))

davyd83
11-07-2009, 11:55 AM
They got 34 shots on goal after taking that lead. That's a pretty solid zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

davyd83
11-07-2009, 12:07 PM
I didn't think he played that well in the 2nd Miami game, and I wasn't aware that he had the flu for the second game of the BSU series, that would explain a lot. Maybe I just had higher expectations for him than were realistic.

That says it all. You seem to like to rip people alot when you're not aware. Such as the flu. He missed Friday's game with the flu. Came out and played Saturday, but didn't play the latter portion of the second period. Wasn't even on the bench. In the Saturday Miami game, he won nearly every one of those one on one battles on the wall and was very solid in defensive coverage along with creating some offensive opportunites as well. He did so many of the little things so well. You gotta look at the little things, not just the scoresheet.

Wildpantswilly
11-07-2009, 01:30 PM

I watched this game online and there wasn't any under achievement on our side. This game could have very easily been a 3-1, 4-1 game without fantastic efforts from both goalie, especially tOsu's keeper.

Billy Blanks
11-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I hope we don't let down tonight. A blowout sure would be nice heading into Notre Dame next weekend!

Let's go Wildcats!

tic tac toe
11-07-2009, 02:05 PM
I was there and it could have just as easily have been a 3-1 Buckeye win.

My point, neither team should be a sub .500 team. Both teams had several key players return from last year. Still, many months to go.