No announcement yet.

How Many UConn Trips to Bowl Games ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many UConn Trips to Bowl Games ...

... have to occur before the Men's Hockey program gets some scholarships?

I ask this because once again the Huskies look like they are uncompetitive at the D-1 level. Maybe I am being too pessimistic, but the early going suggests that at long last the Huskies will wrest the AHA cellar from AIC this year.

UConn just staged a celebration at the Rent in conjunction with the North Carolina football game a few weeks ago -- commemorating 50 years of men's varsity hockey at Storrs. The program is now at the perfect juncture. It's time to either get serious about the sport or put it out of its misery.

I am off to the Rent to see UConn/Rutgers in a somewhat saddened state of mind. What does it mean that a one-time diehard Huskies Hockey fan such as myself has seen more football games in the last few years than hockey games? And I am not even a football fan.
    Last edited by RSTuthill; 11-02-2009, 07:17 PM.

Re: How Many UConn Trips to Bowl Games ...

Maybe you should work on getting your bowl games in America....

Comment

It doesn't seem all that long ago that my son (now 24) used to travel to Storrs to play in Youth hockey games at that horrid old outdoor arena.

I really thought that UConn would make an upgrade to their program and that they would vie to join Hockey East at some point but the program does seem to be going in the opposite direction. The women's team seems much more competitive a program than the men's team does.

I don't think in the present economic climate, nor with the football and basketball teams being the darlings that the hockey team will do anything but maintain the status quo.
      SLU

Comment

Scholarships are not a magic bullet. Three AHA teams do quite well without scholarships at all, and several AHA teams with scholarships still struggle. I don't know much else about the college's financial support of hockey, but I do know that scholarships are not the only route to success on the ice, nor will they produce that success without help in other areas.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
          Scholarships are not a magic bullet. Three AHA teams do quite well without scholarships at all, and several AHA teams with scholarships still struggle. I don't know much else about the college's financial support of hockey, but I do know that scholarships are not the only route to success on the ice, nor will they produce that success without help in other areas.

Powers &8^]
          Its about dedication to the program and how you present yourself. What are you about? Are you trying to get there? What is your plan for the student athletes?

The thing is UConn has enough more or less to compete in Atlantic Hockey. They have a strong institution, they have suitable facilities, they have a sufficient rink. They just lack in many other aspects.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Scholarships are not a magic bullet. Three AHA teams do quite well without scholarships at all, and several AHA teams with scholarships still struggle.
            Who exactly are we talking about? The service academies give rides to the entire teams, not just the AHA limit of 11/13 or the NCAA limit of 18. The whole teams are on scholarship.

Additionally Holy Cross now gives scholarships. So we are left with RIT which is practically in Canada and which can give need based aid to foreign students (Canadians) under American income standards and the type of cross cultural financial aid that Union gives ("loans" which are really grants) also to "foreign" students.

So I guess that I fail to see the point.

There may be a glimmer of hope, though. There seems to be a new "spirit squad" of young women at UConn football games. I would not be completely surprised to see them at BB too. They have about the right number of members that if they were on scholarship they could make scholarships for men's hockey under Title IX possible. I will believe it when I see it, however.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
              Who exactly are we talking about? The service academies give rides to the entire teams, not just the AHA limit of 11/13 or the NCAA limit of 18. The whole teams are on scholarship.

Additionally Holy Cross now gives scholarships. So we are left with RIT which is practically in Canada and which can give need based aid to foreign students (Canadians) under American income standards and the type of cross cultural financial aid that Union gives ("loans" which are really grants) also to "foreign" students.

There may be a glimmer of hope, though. There seems to be a new "spirit squad" of young women at UConn football games. I would not be completely surprised to see them at BB too. They have about the right number of members that if they were on scholarship they could make scholarships for men's hockey under Title IX possible. I will believe it when I see it, however.
              Big difference between a scholarship at a regular school and a service academy. BIG difference.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

There's quite a gulf of difference between the cost of an Air Force/Army education and the cost of a Holy Cross education (amongst others)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3671255

Boo hoo. Are we back to the "illegal canadian players" again?

Yes.

Even if they were scholarship they are non-athletic... you can't use cheerleaders or the band to off-set Title IX. Besides, even if Title IX wasn't an issue you have other institutional desires and visions which you would need to overcome.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Big difference between a scholarship at a regular school and a service academy. BIG difference.
                  as well as a big difference in the babe factor for filling out these "spirit squads" at state schools vs service academies to entertain the boys
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                    Even if they were scholarship they are non-athletic... you can't use cheerleaders or the band to off-set Title IX. Besides, even if Title IX wasn't an issue you have other institutional desires and visions which you would need to overcome.
                    Don't know about bands (I doubt it), but cheerleading does come under Title IX, is regarded as athletic, and is used in the calculation. I think spirit squads are in the same category.

And, btw, no one ever talked about "illegal Canadians".
                    Last edited by RSTuthill; 10-31-2009, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      The thing is UConn has enough more or less to compete in Atlantic Hockey. They have a strong institution, they have suitable facilities, they have a sufficient rink. They just lack in many other aspects.
                      Watching the games this weekend, UConn looks like they've got a good core of young player, particularly Ambrosie and Larson. It's gonna be a painful year for the Huskies, but I think Larson's going to steal a game one of these weeks.

Powers &8^]

Comment

And, btw, no one ever talked about "illegal Canadians".
                        my bad, the "illegal" scholarships given to Canadians... either case the northern menace must be stopped.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Watching the games this weekend, UConn looks like they've got a good core of young player, particularly Ambrosie and Larson. It's gonna be a painful year for the Huskies, but I think Larson's going to steal a game one of these weeks.

Powers &8^]
                          i can't really comment on uconn how they are on the ice... being down from Virginia divorces me from much of college hockey... especially when there's limited ways to follow both teams without foregoing social life or other things.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Patman, Patman, Patman ....

How many times do we have to tell you that the rules are different for public universities compared to private universities?

I would love to see more Canadians in Storrs. In fact when I was at Clarkson, the team was almost 100% Canadian. I have got nothing against Canadians. I am, however, innately suspicious when large numbers of them suddenly start turning up at a college that says they are not giving scholarships. And my objection in the past was not to the SA's themselves, but to the pompous "we don't give scholarships" attitude heard from the college and its boosters. That point is now moot though (since now they do give scholarships), isn't it?

One other point should be made, particularly to the gentleman who said that UConn Women's Hockey is doing much better than the men. Good observation, and that kind of proves the point. The women are certainly competitive in D-1. (They just beat UNH this weekend in fact.) Thing is, that program had 18 scholarships right from the get-go, not counting the short start-up transient
                            Last edited by RSTuthill; 11-01-2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I don't know much about UConn's current Title IX standing but now that the Big East has a men's lacrosse league, my hunch is that UConn will be more inclined to invest in bringing that team up to varsity than throw any more money at the men's hockey program than they do now.
                              Give My Regards to Davy...

Comment

Working...
                              X