Plattsburgh vs. Geneseo Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plattsburgh vs. Geneseo Thoughts?

Confusion. Uncertainty. Bewilderment. Normally, these three words should be the furthest thing away from describing a season opener in hockey. Tonight, however, the experience at the Stafford Arena could only be summed up with one thought...What the $#@!?

Check out my thoughts at http://www.therobbrennan.com/journal...t-geneseo.html

Re: Plattsburgh vs. Geneseo Thoughts?

Originally posted by TacoRob View Post
    Confusion. Uncertainty. Bewilderment. Normally, these three words
    define St Louis, and they did again tonight

Seriously, I won't blame everything on St Louis, the Cardinals did not play their (AKA Emery Hockey) game in the first, was it effective play be Geneseo to keep them out or Plattsburgh not "ticking"? If they are going to maintain their #1 ranking, it won't be playing like they did in this game.

Perhaps the brightest spot was the Cardinal's penalty kill, not only successfully killing off all three power plays, but quickly getting the puck out of the zone and getting scoring opportunities on top.

Also of note, was Geneseo's Sebastian Panetta taking an embarrassing 10min misconduct for having a temper tantrum.

And was it just me, or does Geneseo's goalie, Cory Gershon 5' 10", really like staying inside the goal?
    Last edited by norm1909; 10-30-2009, 11:53 PM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post

Seriously, I won't blame everything on St Louis, the Cardinals did not play their (AKA Emery Hockey) game in the first, was it effective play be Geneseo to keep them out or Plattsburgh not "ticking"? If they are going to maintain their #1 ranking, it won't be playing like the did in this game.

Perhaps the brightest spot was the Cardinal's penalty kill, not only successfully killing off all three power plays, but getting quickly getting the puck out of the zone and getting scoring opportunities on top.

Also of note, was Geneseo's Sebastian Panetta taking an embarrassing 10min misconduct for having a temper tantrum.
      Agreed on all points. I wasn't actually at the game, but I was listenign to Ducky and Rob on WIRY. They brought up a few interesting points during the game, that are worth pointing out:
      • Although he was able to rectify it in the third, both of Geneseo's goals resulted from the Ice Knights taking a shot up high, and Leis giving a nasty rebound that he could not track. Apparently, this happened a few times and could prove to be a consistent weakness for Leis. Should be interesting to see Williams tomorrow, and how he does. What I've seen of Rossy didn't look promising, but what credentials do I have to judge? none.
      • Lots of scratches for tonight's game, due to illness/injury. While it was a rough start to the season, the only caveat is that the team was incomplete. Some of the players who saw a lot of ice time tonight might not see much more, and some players who saw no ice time tonight might see a LOT more down the road. This was a rough paraphrase of comments made at the start of the game by Ducky and Rob.
      • Interesting to note that during the second intermission, the two discussed what appeared to be a deviation from "Emery Hockey." Emery doesn't usually liek a hierarchical structure of lines (i.e. " Line 1" sees more ice time than "Line 2", etc) but through the first 40 minutes, the distribution of shots on goal, and the distribution of ice time, certainly seemed to indicate such a structure. I'm not sure which lines were which, but I just know Ducky and Rob discussed it.

Just a comment on the second item: if Plattsburgh could eke out a win over Geneseo with an incomplete team to start off the season, who is to say they cannot dominate the league with a complete and healthy team that is in mid-season form?
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
        Just a comment on the second item: if Plattsburgh could eke out a win over Geneseo with an incomplete team to start off the season, who is to say they cannot dominate the league with a complete and healthy team that is in mid-season form?
        Absolutely, they are only going to get better
        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Not the first time Geneseo has choked away a game in the Stafford in the third period (I'm not going to link to the 07-08 box score, too painful, but we're all aware of it) and maybe this is an indictment of Geneseo's inexperience and the loss of the seniors that were leaders on the team. Geneseo having zero or one wins in their first seven games is completely possible, but not unexpected. This was a schedule that I declared to have a brutal opening when I first saw it last April. But like Neumann last year, Geneseo could figure it out in the second half and be a dangerous team still. I would be surprised if this is the last time Geneseo goes to the Staff this season. I said all of last year that the team around Hince was the reason why Plattsburgh won, and it looks like even without stellar goaltending tonight they pulled out a win from a lose-able game.
          2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
          2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
          2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
          Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carey View Post
            I said all of last year that the team around Hince was the reason why Plattsburgh won, and it looks like even without stellar goaltending tonight they pulled out a win from a lose-able game.
            You might be right. I've seen Hince play well in some games and I've seen him let in some bad goals. He did have an outstanding team in front of him and I'm sure he won Plattsburgh some games, and lost them some too, ex: Neumann NCAA game.

Don't forget a lot of the players in front of Plattsburgh's goalie changed too this season.

The only real constant is Emery. Like him or not he produces winners and makes players BETTER over the course of their careers. I think that is the biggest thing Plattsburgh had going for them last season and for their 18(?)SUNYAC titles
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              You might be right. I've seen Hince play well in some games and I've seen him let in some bad goals. He did have an outstanding team in front of him and I'm sure he won Plattsburgh some games, and lost them some too, ex: Neumann NCAA game.

Don't forget a lot of the players in front of Plattsburgh's goalie changed too this season.

The only real constant is Emery. Like him or not he produces winners and makes players BETTER over the course of their careers. I think that is the biggest thing Plattsburgh had going for them last season and for their 18(?)SUNYAC titles
              EVERY game is lose-able, and certainly Plattsburgh doesn't have a Devine right to the SUNYAC title which, Emery alone has 18 tournament appearances with 11 league championships including winning eight of the last 12 SUNYAC championships, with a six-year string from 1997 to 2002.

This season Plattsburgh can thank their lucky stars that all of the perennial favorites had significant loss of talent due to graduation (and other factors), but, as PrezdeJohnson09 said, they still have Emery and 'Like him or not he recruits among the best; produces winners and makes players BETTER over the course of their careers.
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Just to clarify on Geneseo's 2 goals, the first one went 5 hole on Leis and came from the right circle.... I think a combination on screening and nerves went into that goal. the second one came on a perfect backhand that actually went back side.... Scagnelli was moving right to left near the top of the circles when he let a backhander go that went back towards the zamboni corner. there were multiple bodies in front. I asked Leis after the game and he said it was a perfect shot and he never saw it. after stopping that short handed break away in the second you could almost see his confidence start to grow and he began to really settle in. we should see Williams in net tonight, so we'll see how Kyle does against Brockport.
                Jim Reisdorf
                Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

Seriously, I won't blame everything on St Louis, the Cardinals did not play their (AKA Emery Hockey) game in the first, was it effective play be Geneseo to keep them out or Plattsburgh not "ticking"? If they are going to maintain their #1 ranking, it won't be playing like they did in this game.

Perhaps the brightest spot was the Cardinal's penalty kill, not only successfully killing off all three power plays, but quickly getting the puck out of the zone and getting scoring opportunities on top.

And was it just me, or does Geneseo's goalie, Cory Gershon 5' 10", really like staying inside the goal?
                  I would agree; first yes - those words were appropriate for describing our beloved St. Louis =) But yeah, those are great thoughts. The penalty kill was pretty impressive. I don't understand why that idiot threw a temper tantrum; the 10 min misconduct definitely was deserved.

I was hoping Gershon's style of staying inside the goal would pan out - what better way to have the best of both worlds; stop a great shot but be behind the line so it counts as a goal? A win-win!

Comment

They folded like a cheap lawn chair.

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                      They folded like a cheap lawn chair.
                      I think ‘They collapsed like a cheap lawn chair’ is more appropriate, I can’t ever get my cheap lawn chairs to fold.
                      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I think ‘They collapsed like a cheap lawn chair’ is more appropriate, I can’t ever get my cheap lawn chairs to fold.
                        Once folded, they stay that way.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

YUP

*****http://www.cardinalhockey.net/cardinalimages/albums/userpics/10001/gen26.jpg******

Comment

I agree that, at times during the game, the Cardinals looked almost ordinary, or at least, mortal, but during the last five minutes they looked like Plattsburgh always looks...disciplined & opportunistic.

If Panetta had scored on his breakaway(If he was more patient he may have, but a great save by the keeper))the Knights may have had the momentum to finish strong, instead the senior showed a shocking lack of discipline that put his team in a hole.

The lack of scoring on tthe last three power plays did not help, either.

Geneseo let that game slip thorough their fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-R- View Post
                              YUP

*****http://www.cardinalhockey.net/cardinalimages/albums/userpics/10001/gen26.jpg******
                              Old Ryan Scott WNYO promo...

"When I'm lying face down in the crease I'm listening to WNYO. Go Lakers"
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X