PDA

View Full Version : Further Explanation on USCHO poll voting?

surferben182
10-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give a more in-depth explanation on how voting works. How many people get to vote, who those people are, do they get to vote for "their top 20" or do they pick a few teams or just one?

similarly, I was looking at the hockey east preseason poll and noticed that the tally of first place votes adds up to 10 and there are 10 teams in the hockey east. Are those votes from Hockey east coaches?

Thanks!

alan
10-30-2009, 04:07 PM
There is a mix of coaches, assistant coaches and media members that vote in the USCHO poll. They each send in their top 20. They are usually idiots.

Yes, the HE preseason poll is done by the coaches. Coaches cannot vote for their own team.

Fighting Sioux 23
10-30-2009, 04:10 PM
There is a mix of coaches, assistant coaches and media members that vote in the USCHO poll. They each send in their top 20. They are usually idiots.

Yes, the HE preseason poll is done by the coaches. Coaches cannot vote for their own team.

"There are 40 voting members to the poll, comprised of coaches, scouts and media members. Each conference is represented equitably on the poll. The names of the voting members are kept confidential out of respect for the privacy of the voters."

straight from the USCHO FAQs page :p:D:D

Ed Trefzger
10-30-2009, 04:12 PM
"There are 40 voting members to the poll, comprised of coaches, scouts and media members. Each conference is represented equitably on the poll. The names of the voting members are kept confidential out of respect for the privacy of the voters."

straight from the USCHO FAQs page :p:D:D

I guess we need to update that FAQ.

Here's what gets sent to the AP, etc., each Monday:

The USCHO.com/CBS College Sports Poll consists of 50 voters, including 28 coaches from the Division I conferences and 22 beat writers and sports professionals from across the country.

Fighting Sioux 23
10-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I guess we need to update that FAQ.

Here's what gets sent to the AP, etc., each Monday:

The USCHO.com/CBS College Sports Poll consists of 50 voters, including 28 coaches from the Division I conferences and 22 beat writers and sports professionals from across the country.

Thanks for clarifying that :)

Are the coaches/media still kept confidential?

quiddlet
10-30-2009, 04:34 PM
how exactly does the points system work?

Patman
10-30-2009, 04:46 PM
how exactly does the points system work?

1st=20, 2nd=19, .... , 20th=1

same with all the other major college sports polls

MikeAnderson
10-30-2009, 04:48 PM

Which is important to remember when you see someone claim a team as a "unanimous No. 1 pick" when there is another team with a first-place vote.