U mich dearborn -they might be a DI school though in other sports
    UW platteville
    Canton on campus rink, great tradition
    Winona State-natural rivalry for St. Marys
    We need new regions too
    States like WA,MT,OH, PA and MI need to get more on board

Re: Teams that should look at joining DIII after the moratorium is lifted

SUNY Canton - Morrisville type situation
    University of Rochester - I dont know if they even have a club team but Roch is a good hockey town that could use a D-III team now that RIT left
    St. John Fisher - See Above
    One of the Penn State satellite schools...I think Berks has a really good program?
    Ithaca- Might be stuff starting a program with Cornell looming right next door.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Another plus for Canton: they're in the process of building a spiffy new fieldhouse, scheduled to open in early '11, that includes a new hockey arena. I wouldn't be surprised if they make the move to the NCAA once that's in place.
      Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
      A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
      A Handful of ECAC West Championships
      A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
      Some National Championships:
      Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
      Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Canton also played Potsdam earlier this year and lost just 3-1 so they certainly already have a quality program that could make a transition to D-III much easier than Morrisville did.
        GO LAKERS!!!
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

what is the DIII moratorium?when was it put in place,why was it put in place and when does it end?thanks

Comment

St. Michael's is going to move their hockey team to DIII in the near future,

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
              what is the DIII moratorium?when was it put in place,why was it put in place and when does it end?thanks
              Some good info can be found, starting here.

See also, "Division III seeks closure on membership issue", here.
              Last edited by norm1909; 10-30-2009, 09:05 AM.
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Rennell View Post
                Wouldn't they have to change their whole program to do that? I doubt those in the basketball program would be overjoyed with that!
                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Matt

Is St. Mike's going to reclassify from D-II to D-III? If I read my rules and regs correctly, you can't move down in one sport, you have to go whole hog and then you have at least a 2 year probationary period before you're post season eligible.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Matt

Is St. Mike's going to reclassify from D-II to D-III? If I read my rules and regs correctly, you can't move down in one sport, you have to go whole hog and then you have at least a 2 year probationary period before you're post season eligible.
                    To my knowledge, that is correct. They would be moving their entire dept to DIII. This information came from Bob Emery on Behind the Bench. Once this happens, expect St. Michael's to be added to Plattsburgh's regular schedule and that would likely mean an end to the annual game with Elmira.

Comment

To my knowledge, that is correct. They would be moving their entire dept to DIII. This information came from Bob Emery on Behind the Bench. Once this happens, expect St. Michael's to be added to Plattsburgh's regular schedule and that would likely mean an end to the annual game with Elmira.
                      As a Plattsburgh fan, I would miss the annual game with Elmira. As an Elmira fan, I would DEFINITELY miss the annual game with Plattsburgh. As a fan of DIII hockey, I would most certainly miss this annual meeting of two long-time rivals and traditionally strong teams.

I understand that financially, St. Mike's is the cheapest school for Plattsburgh to play, in terms of travel cost, and Elmira is probably their most expensive OOC game. However, I would much prefer to see Plattsburgh add St. Mike's as a permanent participant of the Cardinal Classic, or perhaps replace the annual game with Williams or Skidmore.
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

I wish Elmira and another ECAC West team like Hobart or Utica would get together with Plattsburgh and try and schedule a rotating two game series every year to make it more financially responsible for all parties involved instead of traveling all that way for one game.

Plattsburgh travels to Hobart/Elmira one weekend and then the following year Hobart and Elmira head up to Plattsburgh one weekend.

Two great games for each school to have on their schedule every year for traditionally strong teams.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Im not so sure most of these teams would join NCAA. There are huge Title IX issues and most schools are struggling for funds. Im sure Norm has info to go against this but that’s what I hear when I talk to ACHA programs.
                          We play Montclair and can tell you they wont be going NCAA anytime soon.
                          No Penn State on here?
                          Lindenwood?
                          Illinois?

I will say NCAA needs to do something soon about this issue because each year ACHA gets closer and closer to NCAA level(DIII). If they wait another 5 years they’ll be competing for the same players. Im head coach for a ACHA program and I played at Elmira. So Im not completely bias towards ACHA, I understand NCAA. Ill be clear, ACHA is NOT NCAA. It is what it is. But I have 3 kids on my team that are NCAA DIII overflows with 2 more looking to transfer in next semester. And Im a mid level ACHA program. A team in our league has 6 kids from Europe and 10 kids from the AJ and EJ Jr leagues. That doesn’t necessarily make them good, but it shows ACHA programs are organized and with resources get players. With the talent pool getting bigger and NCAA staying the same players need places to play.
                          Don’t flame me, just my 2 cents

Someone was telling me that NCAA is actually in the works for a NCAA DIV to absorb ACHA. No idea if that’s true or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                            Im not so sure most of these teams would join NCAA. There are huge Title IX issues and most schools are struggling for funds. Im sure Norm has info to go against this but that’s what I hear when I talk to ACHA programs.
                            We play Montclair and can tell you they wont be going NCAA anytime soon.
                            No Penn State on here?
                            Lindenwood?
                            Illinois?

I will say NCAA needs to do something soon about this issue because each year ACHA gets closer and closer to NCAA level(DIII). If they wait another 5 years they’ll be competing for the same players. Im head coach for a ACHA program and I played at Elmira. So Im not completely bias towards ACHA, I understand NCAA. Ill be clear, ACHA is NOT NCAA. It is what it is. But I have 3 kids on my team that are NCAA DIII overflows with 2 more looking to transfer in next semester. And Im a mid level ACHA program. A team in our league has 6 kids from Europe and 10 kids from the AJ and EJ Jr leagues. That doesn’t necessarily make them good, but it shows ACHA programs are organized and with resources get players. With the talent pool getting bigger and NCAA staying the same players need places to play.
                            Don’t flame me, just my 2 cents

Someone was telling me that NCAA is actually in the works for a NCAA DIV to absorb ACHA. No idea if that’s true or not.
                            You are right on about the Title IX influence, the NCAA's "Sports Requirements for the Division III Membership" can be seen here, and as evidenced, an EQUAL number of Men and Women's teams must be fielded (*Not required to have a team sport each season - but must be balanced on an annual basis).

I also agree that funding is a HUGE issue, particularly with the current state of the economy. Switching from ACHA to NCAA not only requires huge infrastructure and operational costs (NCAA mammoth bureaucracy vs ACHA one-sport bureaucracy), it also means giving up revenue - remember, in addition to their academic expenses, ACHA players usually PAY-to-play.

I haven't seen nor heard of concerted efforts to merge the NCAA & ACHA programs, but conceptually, I could see collaboration similar to the USA Hockey/ACHA agreement, particularly since the NCAA & ACHA already share so many common goals and rules.

There is, however, this "carrot".
                            Last edited by norm1909; 10-30-2009, 02:42 PM.
                            Larry Normandin
                            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                              You are right on about the Title IX influence, the NCAA's "Sports Requirements for the Division III Membership" can be seen here, and as evidenced, an EQUAL number of Men and Women's teams must be fielded (*Not required to have a team sport each season - but must be balanced on an annual basis).
                              Just a technical comment (doesn't mean that it doesn't have an effect on the decision process.) It's not title IX, but rather a DIII rule - the title IX rules are about expenditures of funds and participation opportunities (with a broad enough exception to not squeeze football too much, since no women's sport can provide the 80 participation opportunities that FB does, or cost as much as FB). This rule from the NCAA is about the number of teams, which is a different metric. You can fail to comply with Title IX even though the number of teams you have "balance."

DII does not have these kind of rules.
                              Last edited by NUProf; 10-30-2009, 03:09 PM.
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X