Growing D-I Hockey Pep Band Size and Budgets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing D-I Hockey Pep Band Size and Budgets

Those of you who know my posts know I am a big fan of college pep bands as a spirit booster and differentiator of our brand of college hockey from pro hockey.

If any of you have information on pep band size and budget at the D-I school you follow, please post it here. If you also have any fundraising/recruitment ideas that have worked, it would be cool to read about them here.

Re: Growing D-I Hockey Pep Band Size and Budgets

When you look at the most successful bands in the country they really personify the region and personality of the school. The Texas A & M band represents the Aggie Military tradition, The USC band is "Hollywood," Ohio State's "Ohio" signature.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      When you look at the most successful bands in the country they really personify the region and personality of the school. The Texas A & M band represents the Aggie Military tradition, The USC band is "Hollywood," Ohio State's "Ohio" signature.
      Good points. That's exactly why I've always like Michigan Tech's band, because they dress in striped mining overalls to reflect the copper mining heritage of the UP.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        If any of you have information on pep band size and budget at the D-I school you follow, please post it here. If you also have any fundraising/recruitment ideas that have worked, it would be cool to read about them here.
        ND requires marching band members to also play in one of the pep bands, from my understanding. I'm not sure of the exact size of the band they use, but I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-75. I have no idea on budget; I think the cost for home games is minimal aside from the consumption of seats, and they typically only travel to Detroit for the conference tournament and the NCAA tournament.
        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

UNO is going without a pep band this season because of budget constraints. And before anyone speculates, this decision was made before a new coach was hired. The cost I heard was around $50,000/year. But that is only what I heard. It may not be accurate.

I miss the band because I think it makes it less of the college atmosphere. That said, hockey still happens. At least they've replaced the guy who plays the recorded music. He doesn't step on the audience like the last guy did.

Comment

The pep band at Tech has reached nearly 300 members, up from about 125 during the 2005-2006 season. The band is largely underfunded, but makes due with what they have.
            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

It took some painstaking research but here are the numbers for UMass:

Size: 0
              Budget $0

MASSACHUSETTS HOCKEY
              NCAA Appearance: 2007
              1972 Division II Champions

DII Playoffs : 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974

UMass Hockey Blog:
              http://fearthetriangle.com/

Comment

The size of NMU's pep band is limited by their seating position. I don't know the max number, but I'm sure someone will come in who does.

As for budget, new music comes from the marching band and any trips to Detroit are funded by the athletic department, so I don't know if there is any pep band budget. I would have no idea where it would cost a huge amount for any band unless the players receive a stipend.

The band did receive a donation of money for new pep band music a few years back.
                Embrace the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
                  The size of NMU's pep band is limited by their seating position. I don't know the max number, but I'm sure someone will come in who does.
                  I'm guessing we could fit anywhere between 40-50 members on the deck. The only space we take up seating-wise is standing room (or what would be standing room if there wasn't a band at the game).
                  sigpic

MinnesotaNorthStar: bando > all of you
                  streaker:There isn't a team in this league she doesn't mention, (well, okay, she probably doesn't know there is a team in Marquette) if it does something worth mentioning.
                  TwitchBoy: what the heck, GO CATS GO CATS GOCATSGO!

Comment

Clarkson's pep band gets very limited funding from the student activities fund. The band usually numbers between 25 and 45. For the past few years they've been getting a donation from a member of the Board of Trustees to cover travel costs to ECAC away games. The band members generally try to use the money wisely and make the local trips with their own funds.
                    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                      Clarkson's pep band gets very limited funding from the student activities fund. The band usually numbers between 25 and 45. For the past few years they've been getting a donation from a member of the Board of Trustees to cover travel costs to ECAC away games. The band members generally try to use the money wisely and make the local trips with their own funds.
                      From what I've been told recently, the contributions that CUSA (student senate) makes to the band coffers has sharply increased in recent years thanks to the efforts of some recent business managers for the club finally making them understand that instruments cost money to maintain and it doesn't cost $3000 to take a tour bus to Boston and back anymore.

Comment

Great information. Please keep it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by MavBarb View Post
                          UNO is going without a pep band this season because of budget constraints. And before anyone speculates, this decision was made before a new coach was hired. The cost I heard was around $50,000/year. But that is only what I heard. It may not be accurate.

I miss the band because I think it makes it less of the college atmosphere. That said, hockey still happens. At least they've replaced the guy who plays the recorded music. He doesn't step on the audience like the last guy did.
                          It will be interesting to see their decisions next year when they join the WCHA.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I've heard that the DU Pep Band is prohibited from attending away hockey games. They do attend the Bouncy Ball Tourneys if DU makes the 2nd Round.

DU's Pep Band has doubled in size this year from 20 to 40 members. Its been a big improvement but they are only playing at 6 home games this year.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              I've heard that the DU Pep Band is prohibited from attending away hockey games. They do attend the Bouncy Ball Tourneys if DU makes the 2nd Round.
                              There's some rule that bands can't travel for hockey during the regular season, it's common lore that the Huskies Pep Band is responsible for this rule, along with many other rules pertaining to bands in the NCAA.
                              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Working...
                              X