X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Recruit Updates: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by GoMaine24 View Post
    It just boggles my mind to hear so many people going to bat for him.
    Given your extreme lack knowledge about hockey (judging by posts on this subject AND others in your short time here), I'm not surprised.

This is hockey. Putting your body on the line is what it's all about. Blocking shots, taking hits, dropping the gloves and putting your face/noggin up for a potential punishing (in the pros), etc. That's what it takes to win. And that's what teammates respect and will do for each other. Maybe you get hurt, maybe you don't. But if you're not doing these things (sans fighting in the pros), you're a pansy and pansies are not respected hockey players and they aren't winning hockey players either.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Yea, well, believe it or not (the way I'm ranting)....I don't have it out for the guy. It just boggles my mind to hear so many people going to bat for him.

I'd rather have a forward who blocks 2 shots per game and has a better chance of scoring himself than someone who is going to block 4 shots and brings nothing to the table in the offensive zone.
      Do you watch hockey? if you watch any team, they all have a line of guys whose best abilities are not as scorers, but instead as guys that bang, play hard nosed hockey. Look at the bruins fourth line for example, and this is the pros where they could get more skilled players that could score for the 4th line but they choose gritty players like Thornton.

Comment

Will those BC freshmen be transferring?

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
          Will those BC freshmen be transferring?
          Not sure, but I hear Darling has invited to them to rehab
          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Oh my word....is anyone following me in my entirety or just picking out a sentence here or there that could be misconstrued when taken out of context??

GBB09...I've said multiple times that there are plenty of players who aren't scorers who are extremely important to the team. Nick...yes every team needs guys willing to play fearlessly and get in the opposition's jersey and knock them around....but soloman doesn't even do that. Short of courageous shot blocking he offers literally nothing else *that I've seen at least*!!! Should we go recruit a speed skater with no hockey skill, because hey at least he'll be the fastest player on the team and we value speed. Who cares if he offers nothing else. We'll have one guy whos really fast and nothing else, one guy whos really good at blocking shots and nothing else, one guy who's really good at poke checking and nothing else, we'll just have twenty guys who are all exceptional at one thing only *allbeit an important skill of the game*..... and success, here we come! Who needs rounded players who can play all three zones?!

I find it so ironic that everyone shat on me over defending Lem Randall when I said we needed that role player who skates deep, rattles cages, dives to pucks to clear the zone, and leaves his heart on the ice...but no...people were upset because sometimes he took penalties. Well so does Thornton and I like him too.

But Soloman doesn't fill that intensity role at all. Scorers like Flynn work harder around the boards. He doesn't fill any role, and we already have our other role positions filled. Well, except for that rough and tumble energy guy....but Timbo didn't want Randall, so be it. Go back in time and cut Soloman over Randall and I'll support that move 100 times out of 100.

If someone played like Randall or Bellamy...then yea....put him on my 4th line. He doesn't play intense hockey....he has no offensive skills.... and his only.....let me say it again....his only redeeming quality is he blocks a few shots.
            Last edited by GoMaine24; 04-28-2010, 12:39 AM.

Comment

And just for the record....trying to compare Shawn Thornton and Kyle Soloman as similarly important role players is downright hilarious!!!

Comment

Jeez kid did Kyle made googley eyes at your girlfriend at some party or what?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Did you read the thing right before it?? I said "Whats the point..." to...

'if its going to jeopardize your health'

To say...seriously? winning. that's the point- To THAT is saying that you have no problem if any of our guys go down with career detrementing injuries just so long as it benefited the team that game. What do you suppose their mothers would say to that?!

There's a difference between skating hard and finishing your man... and being an idiot on the ice.

Guys other than Soloman blocked shots, too....but he's the only one who ends up just short of the E.R. every other time he does.

And yet....its the only legitimate redeeming quality people can muster up to defend his playing time....am I seriously the only one seeing the disconnect here?
                  it's a fluke. You think Solomon was thinking, "I'm gonna block this shot with my nuts" before he did it? Things happen.

I'm also a big Solomon fan, and think he's got a lot to show out there if he could stay healthy and get some steady time in the lineup.

Some players don't have the big stats, or the physical dimensions that impress, but they bring something to the team, day in day out, that is important, and vital to any team. I think Solomon is one of those types.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Youi don't like Dek either, but praise Bellamy. Go back and look at their respective senior season stats. Might surprise you.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

April 27, 2010

Waterloo Black Hawks forward Derek Arnold has been named the recipient of the USHL Curt Hammer Award for the 2009-10 season. (USHL Images)
                      Arnold Receives USHL Curt Hammer AwardThe United States Hockey League today announced that Waterloo Black Hawks forward Derek Arnold has been named the recipient of the USHL Curt Hammer Award

The Curt Hammer Award has been presented annually since the 1988-89 season in honor of the late Curt Hammer, and honors the USHL player who distinguishes himself both on and off the ice by demonstrating outstanding performance skills, pride, and determination. The award is given in memory of the late Curt Hammer, who served as president of the Des Moines Buccaneers for three seasons (1984-87) and also held the role of secretary for the USHL.

"Derek is one of the finest human beings that I have ever had the opportunity to coach," said Waterloo Black Hawks Head Coach and General Manager P.K. O'Handley. "He is a great teammate, friend, and worker – he is what every organization wants and needs. Derek embodies everything this award represents."

Arnold recently completed his second USHL season and was fourth on the Black Hawks in scoring with 59 points (20g, 39a) in 59 regular season games while serving as alternate captain for the team. It was the second straight 20-goal season for the native of Foxboro, Massachusetts after he totaled 32 points (20g, 12a) in 52 games during the 2008-09 campaign. Arnold registered a 16-game point streak from January 30th to March 12th, compiling 29 points (16g, 13a) during that span. It was the second-longest streak in the USHL this season. Arnold will continue his hockey career at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell beginning this fall.

Off the ice, Arnold was a leader in the Waterloo community spending countless hours of his time in service activities. Prior to the start of the 2009-10 season, he created "Arnie's Army," which was an initiative to channel the enthusiasm of Waterloo's fans into a benefit for local youth. The forward, who wore #29 on his uniform, developed the concept of having wristbands and hard hats – stamped with "Arnie's Army 29" – available for purchase during the season, with all proceeds benefiting the Boys and Girls Clubs of Black Hawk County. The Waterloo Black Hawks organization lent its support by donating the wristbands and hard hats while also providing a large quantity of tickets throughout the season to the Boys and Girls Clubs. Arnold's idea raised several thousand dollars for the cause.

"Derek's 'Arnie's Army' initiative was one of the outstanding public service efforts I've seen from any athlete at any level, much less the USHL," said USHL Commissioner Skip Prince. "But it didn't end there – this is one great young hockey player. We're looking forward to great things from Derek Arnold, both on and off the ice, for a long time to come. The Curt Hammer Award could not have been given to a finer person, or a better example of what we strive to stand for in the USHL."

Among the multiple community service projects he took part, Arnold volunteered to coach youth hockey in Waterloo. He also organized his Black Hawks teammates to serve as coaches during a fundraising youth hockey tournament this spring.

Hammer, a dedicated volunteer and supporter of hockey in the Des Moines community until succumbing to cancer in 1987, was one of the founders Hart-Hammer, Inc., a commercial heating and air conditioning ventilation equipment sales firm. The company still operates today providing extensive sales and engineering support in Iowa, Nebraska, and western Illinois. The award was established to honor his commitment to the League and the perseverance he displayed in continuing his work through hockey while battling the illness.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        April 27, 2010

Waterloo Black Hawks forward Derek Arnold has been named the recipient of the USHL Curt Hammer Award for the 2009-10 season. (USHL Images)
                        Arnold Receives USHL Curt Hammer AwardThe United States Hockey League today announced that Waterloo Black Hawks forward Derek Arnold has been named the recipient of the USHL Curt Hammer Award

The Curt Hammer Award has been presented annually since the 1988-89 season in honor of the late Curt Hammer, and honors the USHL player who distinguishes himself both on and off the ice by demonstrating outstanding performance skills, pride, and determination. The award is given in memory of the late Curt Hammer, who served as president of the Des Moines Buccaneers for three seasons (1984-87) and also held the role of secretary for the USHL.

"Derek is one of the finest human beings that I have ever had the opportunity to coach," said Waterloo Black Hawks Head Coach and General Manager P.K. O'Handley. "He is a great teammate, friend, and worker – he is what every organization wants and needs. Derek embodies everything this award represents."

Arnold recently completed his second USHL season and was fourth on the Black Hawks in scoring with 59 points (20g, 39a) in 59 regular season games while serving as alternate captain for the team. It was the second straight 20-goal season for the native of Foxboro, Massachusetts after he totaled 32 points (20g, 12a) in 52 games during the 2008-09 campaign. Arnold registered a 16-game point streak from January 30th to March 12th, compiling 29 points (16g, 13a) during that span. It was the second-longest streak in the USHL this season. Arnold will continue his hockey career at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell beginning this fall.

Off the ice, Arnold was a leader in the Waterloo community spending countless hours of his time in service activities. Prior to the start of the 2009-10 season, he created "Arnie's Army," which was an initiative to channel the enthusiasm of Waterloo's fans into a benefit for local youth. The forward, who wore #29 on his uniform, developed the concept of having wristbands and hard hats – stamped with "Arnie's Army 29" – available for purchase during the season, with all proceeds benefiting the Boys and Girls Clubs of Black Hawk County. The Waterloo Black Hawks organization lent its support by donating the wristbands and hard hats while also providing a large quantity of tickets throughout the season to the Boys and Girls Clubs. Arnold's idea raised several thousand dollars for the cause.

"Derek's 'Arnie's Army' initiative was one of the outstanding public service efforts I've seen from any athlete at any level, much less the USHL," said USHL Commissioner Skip Prince. "But it didn't end there – this is one great young hockey player. We're looking forward to great things from Derek Arnold, both on and off the ice, for a long time to come. The Curt Hammer Award could not have been given to a finer person, or a better example of what we strive to stand for in the USHL."

Among the multiple community service projects he took part, Arnold volunteered to coach youth hockey in Waterloo. He also organized his Black Hawks teammates to serve as coaches during a fundraising youth hockey tournament this spring.

Hammer, a dedicated volunteer and supporter of hockey in the Des Moines community until succumbing to cancer in 1987, was one of the founders Hart-Hammer, Inc., a commercial heating and air conditioning ventilation equipment sales firm. The company still operates today providing extensive sales and engineering support in Iowa, Nebraska, and western Illinois. The award was established to honor his commitment to the League and the perseverance he displayed in continuing his work through hockey while battling the illness.
                        Get over it.

Comment

blah blah blah
                          You're posting in the wrong thread.

Comment

If I read anymore stuff about Soloman or the Lowell recruit on this thread I'm gonna...........

Comment

April 27, 2010

He is not a Maine recruit, WE DONT CARE!

Comment

It takes 5 of you to say the same thing? How many of you to replace a lightbulb? 8 or 9?

I am a Maine fan, have nothing what so ever to do with the player in question and it is annoying that a player of his caliber was driven away by TW. He would have been a great addition to the Maine hockey program and is far superior to several of the F's they have coming in...

Comment

Working...
                                X