X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Recruit Updates: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    I also thought he was in school this year but from reading the article it read like he wasn't?? Anyone know for sure?
    Kelen Corkum is listed as a Student on the FirstClass system, so my speculation is that he is currently enrolled.
    You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
    ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
    ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
    ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlackBears View Post
      We need a solid DI goalie. Maine probably didn't go after him.
      Why wouldn't Maine go after him - great stats and he said Maine was one of the places he would like to go !

If Maine wasn't considering him, who are they looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        I believe Tim honored his scholarship. I thought there was something in the paper about it. I also thought he was in school this year but from reading the article it read like he wasn't?? Anyone know for sure?
        I agree they honored the scholarship. Just stating that it is not the same now with Bob coaching as 50% of his tuition is (according to BassAle) gratis.

And glad HockeyDud quipped that "I proved nothing as usual" I did not know he was following me that closely!

Comment

Originally posted by ecacwatcher View Post
          If Maine wasn't considering him, who are they looking at?
          The kid out of New York, I think his name is Garth Dunham Dryden.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
            I agree they honored the scholarship. Just stating that it is not the same now with Bob coaching as 50% of his tuition is (according to BassAle) gratis.

And glad HockeyDud quipped that "I proved nothing as usual" I did not know he was following me that closely!
            Please stop with the foolishness. They didnt go in and change his scholarship because his father "teaches" there.

NCAA wouldnt put up with that for a second. Parker, York et all would laugh at that one. He has one of the 18 and your making up facts changes nothing.
            Last edited by Hokydad; 03-26-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              Please stop with the foolishness. They didnt go in and change his scholarship because his father "teaches" there.

NCAA wouldnt put up with that for a second. He has one of the 18 and your making up facts changes nothing.
              All scholarships are one year contracts, not two or three or four. If his father is on faculty and the university picks up 50% of tuition, then that amount does not have to come out of the scholarship, and would be available to another student.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                The kid out of New York, I think his name is Garth Dunham Dryden.

Yes, I hear he is pretty good.

Comment

All scholarships are one year contracts, not two or three or four. If his father is on faculty and the university picks up 50% of tuition, then that amount does not have to come out of the scholarship, and would be available to another student.
                  Its not worth getting all worked up over it as it is what it is...

BUT, NCAA scolarship rules have accepted financial aid and exempted financial aid for scholarship athletes.

In NCAA Divison 1 hockey, for it to be aid that could be used in this case, there is a 5 year minimum for it to be counted towards the type of use you are talking about. In other words, the coach would have to be there 5 years before his kid showed up. Trust me, NCAA has seen everything.

They do not get one dime of his scholarship money to use for another player, not one dime.

Comment

Its not worth getting all worked up over it as it is what it is...

BUT, NCAA scolarship rules have accepted financial aid and exempted financial aid for scholarship athletes.

In NCAA Divison 1 hockey, for it to be aid that could be used in this case, there is a 5 year minimum for it to be counted towards the type of use you are talking about. In other words, the coach would have to be there 5 years before his kid showed up. Trust me, NCAA has seen everything.

They do not get one dime of his scholarship money to use for another player, not one dime.
                    Tim could revoke his scholarship tomorrow, give the money to someone else and the NCAA wouldn't blink.

Again, you're assuming it is a full four year ride...athletic scholarships don't work that way. The scholarship can be revisited each year.

Comment

Tim could revoke his scholarship tomorrow, give the money to someone else and the NCAA wouldn't blink.

Again, you're assuming it is a full four year ride...athletic scholarships don't work that way. The scholarship can be revisited each year.
                      I am well aware of exactly how athletic scholarships work. I can also assure you that the NCAA has seen every possible angle known to man to beat the system, thus that is why they have the 5 year exempt period in place to cover dads coaching their kids in D 1 hockey programs.

What you said would never work but you are right, the NCAA wouldn't blink, they have seen it all. They never blink, they simply enforce.

Comment

I am well aware of exactly how athletic scholarships work. I can also assure you that the NCAA has seen every possible angle known to man to beat the system, thus that is why they have the 5 year exempt period in place to cover dads coaching their kids in D 1 hockey programs.

What you said would never work but you are right, the NCAA wouldn't blink, they have seen it all. They never blink, they simply enforce.
                        What would work? Tim is completely in his rights to revoke the scholarship and give the money to someone else. I don't think he would, but he has the right to. And no, the NCAA wouldn't care. Happens in basketball all the time.

Comment

What would work? Tim is completely in his rights to revoke the scholarship and give the money to someone else. I don't think he would, but he has the right to. And no, the NCAA wouldn't care. Happens in basketball all the time.
                          NCAA would step in and simply say you cant use the money on another player, if the kid remained and his dad stayed on as coach, thus the 50% discount on tuition.

BC and BU would never stand for it and neither would NCAA. They would never allow the perceived benefit to happen

Remember, the NCAA almost declared Tiger Woods a pro because Arnold Palmer picked up a $30 lunch..... You can try and make it sound so simple but the one thing they are not, is simple.

Zero chance of any of that cash going to another player while his father is thier coaching unless the kid left the team.

Comment

NCAA would step in and simply say you cant use the money on another player, if the kid remained and his dad stayed on as coach, thus the 50% discount on tuition.

BC and BU would never stand for it and neither would NCAA. They would never allow the perceived benefit to happen

Remember, the NCAA almost declared Tiger Woods a pro because Arnold Palmer picked up a $30 lunch..... You can try and make it sound so simple but the one thing they are not, is simple.

Zero chance of any of that cash going to another player while his father is thier coaching unless the kid left the team.
                            You apparently misunderstood...but whatever.

Comment

"All scholarships are one year contracts, not two or three or four. If his father is on faculty and the university picks up 50% of tuition, then that amount does not have to come out of the scholarship, and would be available to another student"

And this was your post, so I gues you are right. Whatever.....

Comment

So what about the money for Randall and Orsini? Is that still "dead" scholarship money too? And would Sill and Czuba have graduated by now, because if not I guess Tim can't give that money to anyone else. Ditto for Sweetland? Thank god the Purcell scholly's finally coming off the books next year huh.

Your logic is so flawed it's laughable.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X