Northeastern bye wk: Suggestions for Coach Cronin & team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern bye wk: Suggestions for Coach Cronin & team

Okay, perhaps this belongs in the reg season thread.. but i wanted to make a point & it get some attention from NU fans.. this could be our bye wk.. or 'bye bye' week.. for the season.

We're 2-3.. still early in the season & the team is re-building some we know, but we can absolutely make a few changes NOW & have a perfectly respectable to better than good season by focusing on a few things..

* Pratice our PP.. gotta move those feet at all times (as has been mentioned, versus just standing & passing to the point, then passing back & forth like its a clinic)..

* Taking more shots on goal at the right time.. usually our forwards will take a shot right in front of the defenseman's stick.. all too easy, versus waiting to fake/ deke at the last moment..

* Taking more shots on goal..

* Practicing that PP (yes both these are repeats)

* Practicing your goalie/coaching staff signals on when to pull/not pull the goalie.. i think in the UNH gm with 2 mins left & us having a PP.. i was surprised Rawlings was not pulled.. i think he was surprised as well..

.. there's more, but this is what i got, the top of my head.

Pls contribute Husky fans (again, just suggestions for the bye week /wknd & practice situations these 10 days) and Go Huskies
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Re: Northeastern bye wk: Suggestions for Coach Cronin & team

Put Mountain in net and work with him some more. I wouldn't mind having Cro start a goalie rotation providing that the kid shows he deserves to get a start by working hard in practice. I believe someone else brought this up on another thread, but IMO it would probably help Rawlings out too by showing him that his job isn't as secure as he thought it was. Perhaps it'll make him play harder and smarter, as to stay in the #1 spot.

Absolutely agree that PP needs to be worked on. Keep it movin'. Don't be afraid to LET ONE RIP from an odd angle (UNH friday night); garbage goals are just as good as snipes from the point.

It's going to be interesting in two weeks. Matthews is going to be 'vibrating' for the BU game and they better be ready to play.
    Celebrating 20 Years of TheDogHouse

Comment

..agree with you. Give Mountain a chance in scrimmage.. take a good, hard look. Ya never know..

heck, might help Rawlings bring his level up as well. Its a win/win. I have to say, i am happy with his (Rawlings) progression so far. Keep working hard kid.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I agree. This should belong in the Northeastern thread. Let's see if the admins clean this up or if they're sleeping again.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Well.. i thought we'd be allowed to comment in a subset type/ 'bye' wk thread of our own.. with no NU hockey for couple wks.. but anyhow, whatever they decide i'm cool.

In the meanwhile (talking about scrimmage)..had another idea.. (i don't know if this is against HE rules.. why would it be?..).. how about Coach opens one of the Black/Red gms to students/ fans at Matthews.. prob too late this yr, but i'd love to be able to get a chance to just see some night/ midnight madness type practice/ gm at Matthews with the fans, concessions & all (lord knows concessions can use the practice as well)..

Well, I will miss hockey this wknd @ NU for sure. Nick i might go out & watch your team skate at the 'Mack.. they're looking strong early this season.
          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Want a suggestion?

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday...PUCKLESS PRACTICE!

Skate, skate, skate, skate, skate!
            MATTHEWS ARENA

100 YEARS OF HOCKEY HISTORY

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyMan View Post
              Want a suggestion?

"Again."

(Whistle blows)

"Again."

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyMan View Post
                Want a suggestion?

..if only the kids knew how important this is. Right from mites through the college ranks & beyond..

..now enough with details.. give me strategy!
                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I blame the typo on our 1,000 shirts for this bad luck....
                  Northeastern University, Class of 2012

GO NU

Comment

We need to get back to Cronin hockey. By that I mean we need to get pucks deep, play physical, get traffic out in front and score ugly. As Cro said after the Bentley game we became to enamored with stick handling and that we were "trying to be like the Harlem Globetrotters". After the last couple of recruiting classes there is certainly more skill at NU than in the past however this talent still pales in comparison with BU, BC and UNH. If we try to play a finese type of games with these teams we will get taken behind the woodshed.
                    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Hey now, they were down a man and they still wanted to paint up... i can see the merit of creativity there...

GO NU

Comment

I agree with someone's earlier post of work with a 2nd goalie. The ability to have two reliable goaltenders is very rare, and with the exeption of Lowell in this league, it is usually a given on who the starter is for each night. Theissen luckily never got hurt for you guys, and he always played well, but if something ever happened to him who would step in? That was a question I had this year regarding Muse, and his apparent "out til Thanksgiving" injury, but that proved otherwise.
                        Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by choog View Post
                          Hey now, they were down a man and they still wanted to paint up... i can see the merit of creativity there...
                          Promise me you're joking.

Comment

Originally posted by choog View Post
                            Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                            Promise me you're joking.
                            at the very least you would expect a fanboy to understand this line of thinking
                            my huskies > your huskies

Comment

Fan man... Fan man

GO NU

Comment

Working...
                              X