Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC Northeast/NE10

any idea what is going on with the NE10 teams in the ECACNE
    Looked at the the Stonehill and SNHU schedules and they play each other 3/4 times.A number of the ECAC teams are not even on the schedule.
    seems odd

Re: ECAC Northeast/NE10

With the new Mass State league there are only about 7 or eight teams left in the ECACNE
    Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Originally posted by CROSBYNU63 View Post
      With the new Mass State league there are only about 7 or eight teams left in the ECACNE
      8, but 12 counting the 4 NE 10 teams. Interesting that College Hockey Stats has the NE10 in one league, and the NE in another. So, are they split or not?

Guess Josh has a story to write about the off season shakeups in the D3 ECAC.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        8, but 12 counting the 4 NE 10 teams. Interesting that College Hockey Stats has the NE10 in one league, and the NE in another. So, are they split or not?

Guess Josh has a story to write about the off season shakeups in the D3 ECAC.
        College hockey stats has had the DII teams in the NE listed in both the NE10 and the ECAC NE (or the NE10 and the ECAC E) , and this year they have St. A's and St. M's listed in two leagues but not the other four. Perhaps the NE has finally kicked them out to enable teams to increase the number of games that count for NCAA purposes.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          College hockey stats has had the DII teams in the NE listed in both the NE10 and the ECAC NE (or the NE10 and the ECAC E) , and this year they have St. A's and St. M's listed in two leagues but not the other four. Perhaps the NE has finally kicked them out to enable teams to increase the number of games that count for NCAA purposes.
          I think the East need St A and St M to balance out the NESCAC for Interlock purposes. When the Interlock ends, to the Saints get the boot, too?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by CROSBYNU63 View Post
            Checking the schedules of the NE and MASCAC, it would appear that all of the teams in both leagues are playing a number of NE10 teams. Most are playing 2, with some playing 3 or 4. It doesn't appear that the DII group had a problem scheduling enough games. And I guess that's the proof of the pudding.

St A's and St. Mikes are the ones missing mostly from the NE and MASCAC skeds. The interlock would pose a problem probably.
            Last edited by Rayolite; 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM.
            Real Life is drawing without an eraser.

Comment

The ECAC NE schools have a scheduling agreement with the Northeast-10 schools who were in the NE. Each NE school will play two NE-10 schools (one home, one away). The NE-10 Schools are now separate from the NE schools.

Div. II Games:
              Suffolk: SNHU (H), Assumption (A)
              Nichols: Assumption (H), Franklin Pierce (A)
              Salve: Stonehill (H), Assumption (A)
              Curry: Stonehill (H), SNHU (A)
              Becker: Assumption (H), Franklin Pierce (A)
              Wentworth: Franklin Pierce (H), Stonehill (A)
              WNEC : Franklin Pierce (H), SNHU (A)
              J&W: SNHU (H), Stonehill (A)

It is my understanding that this agreement will be in place for the 2010-11 season, with the schools remaining the same but the sites switching.
              Last edited by WIT SID; 10-22-2009, 09:06 AM. Reason: (I can't spell s-i-t-e-s)
              Bill Gorman
              Associate Director of Athletics/
              Sports Information Director
              Wentworth Institute of Technology

It is what it is.

Comment

It is shameful the way that the DII schools that don't play up to DI are treated by the NCAA. Just make an exception for them and count them among the DIII hockey programs as long as they abide by DIII rules. Everybody would be happier, and we'd have a nice, balanced 12 team tournament to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by WIT SID View Post
                  The ECAC NE schools have a scheduling agreement with the Northeast-10 schools who were in the NE. Each NE school will play two NE-10 schools (one home, one away). The NE-10 Schools are now separate from the NE schools.

Div. II Games:
                  Suffolk: SNHU (H), Assumption (A)
                  Nichols: Assumption (H), Franklin Pierce (A)
                  Salve: Stonehill (H), Assumption (A)
                  Curry: Stonehill (H), SNHU (A)
                  Becker: Assumption (H), Franklin Pierce (A)
                  Wentworth: Franklin Pierce (H), Stonehill (A)
                  WNEC : Franklin Pierce (H), SNHU (A)
                  J&W: SNHU (H), Stonehill (A)

It is my understanding that this agreement will be in place for the 2010-11 season, with the schools remaining the same but the sits switching.
                  Bill

Thank you.

And folks, once again breaking D-III news first delivered in the Fan Forum!!! (No slight against you Josh, you just got here. Your previous occupant missed this one big time.)
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It is shameful the way that the DII schools that don't play up to DI are treated by the NCAA. Just make an exception for them and count them among the DIII hockey programs as long as they abide by DIII rules. Everybody would be happier, and we'd have a nice, balanced 12 team tournament to boot.
                    Not going to happen. Legislation has been introduced over in D-1 land to prohibit any more play-ups with the current crop being grandfathered in.

This strikes me as putting the screws to the Canadian schools that thought of coming into the NCAA as D-II in all sports but ice hockey and then playing up. I wonder if, in a backhanded sort of way, the NCAA is trying to resurrect D-II hockey??

There are a lot of D-II schools playing D-1 hockey and the NE10 schools that are not. Something, someday, will have to give. Which way the snow blows is beyond me.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It would be an easy solution if they did things the old way and moved teams from the Strong Leagues like back in the late 80's early 90's where leagues like the ECAC East (which were one giant league of NESCAC and East combined) then you had the ECAC West (Which was the SUNYAC and ECAC West teams combined) Then you had the NCHA/MIAC leagues and it was considered Div. II back then. Why they couldn't due the same kind of thing has to do with how absolutely dumb in thinking the NCAA is as they will allow NCAA Div. III schools to move to Division 1 in one sport but will not allow the move to Div. II in one sport which again is hurting college hockey.

I mean what teams would you want to move up to Div. II besides the NE 10 teams because obviously they had to. Take at least the teams that have finished in the top 5 most or have won their conference Championships within the last 10 years and elevate those teams to DII so that you could possibly now have half the teams in D3 move up to D2 so we could truly have three seperate leagues then maybe some of these ACHA programs at schools that are well funded could move to the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
                        It would be an easy solution if they did things the old way and moved teams from the Strong Leagues like back in the late 80's early 90's where leagues like the ECAC East (which were one giant league of NESCAC and East combined) then you had the ECAC West (Which was the SUNYAC and ECAC West teams combined) Then you had the NCHA/MIAC leagues and it was considered Div. II back then. Why they couldn't due the same kind of thing has to do with how absolutely dumb in thinking the NCAA is as they will allow NCAA Div. III schools to move to Division 1 in one sport but will not allow the move to Div. II in one sport which again is hurting college hockey.

I mean what teams would you want to move up to Div. II besides the NE 10 teams because obviously they had to. Take at least the teams that have finished in the top 5 most or have won their conference Championships within the last 10 years and elevate those teams to DII so that you could possibly now have half the teams in D3 move up to D2 so we could truly have three seperate leagues then maybe some of these ACHA programs at schools that are well funded could move to the NCAA.
                        Wonderful idea, but that is not what the Presidents want. They, not the Athletic Department, control where their school plays. Also, what may be good for hockey may not be good for the other sports.

Somebody with a long memory of D-II can tell you why everyone punted D-II for D-III. Offhand I think it was money (what else?), but I don't know who was the first to jump ship or the real reason(s) why.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Wonderful idea, but that is not what the Presidents want. They, not the Athletic Department, control where their school plays. Also, what may be good for hockey may not be good for the other sports.

Somebody with a long memory of D-II can tell you why everyone punted D-II for D-III. Offhand I think it was money (what else?), but I don't know who was the first to jump ship or the real reason(s) why.
                          The NCAA philosophy seems to be that it is better to keep the rules the same for all team sports. One size fits all - if special rules are made to accommodate one sport, chaos would result. I think the rules could be written in such a way so as to allow a merging of divisions in a situation in which there aren't enough teams for a national championship in one division. It could apply to any sport, but DII hockey is the obvious example.

Comment

Just heard that the NCAA DII committee is recommending that all DII athletes have only one year beyond High School to play a sport to be able to have 4 years of eligibility in college.
                            what this means for hockey in DII is that if someone were to play one year of prep school and one year of junior hockey or two years of junior hockey then the player would only have 3 years of college eligibility.
                            If the player were to go to DIII the one year after high school rule would not be in effect.
                            Why doesn't the NCAA basically say and be upfront that they don't want DII schools playing ice hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
                              Just heard that the NCAA DII committee is recommending that all DII athletes have only one year beyond High School to play a sport to be able to have 4 years of eligibility in college.
                              what this means for hockey in DII is that if someone were to play one year of prep school and one year of junior hockey or two years of junior hockey then the player would only have 3 years of college eligibility.
                              If the player were to go to DIII the one year after high school rule would not be in effect.
                              Why doesn't the NCAA basically say and be upfront that they don't want DII schools playing ice hockey.
                              See my response above about the one size fits all philosophy - its easier to administrate if nobody has any exceptions. Not saying that's reasonable, but that's the way it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X