X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oswego State 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    He has sat top players before.

Ryan Ellis was leading the team in points last year in and sat two straight games at one point.

Not saying he will because he didnt sit Rodrigues when i would have guessed he would have. Just saying usually he has sat guys that take dumb penalties and hurt the team.
    The team also wasn't in the midst of a 20 game win streak when Gosek sat Ellis last year. Their season was on the brink of taking a nasty turn and Gosek probably figured some sort of shot in the arm would do the team well.
    Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
    08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
    2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
      The team also wasn't in the midst of a 20 game win streak when Gosek sat Ellis last year. Their season was on the brink of taking a nasty turn and Gosek probably figured some sort of shot in the arm would do the team well.
      He sat ellis for the NCAA's when they won the title, although that was for different reasons.

For a good coach, it all depends on how badly he feels a message needs to be sent, and the best way to send it. He's not goign to let guys just run around doing whatever they want, but he's not going to hamstring the team either.

Comment

Gosek also stuck up for Selleck on a couple of those calls Friday...
        Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
        2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Selleck definitely plays on the edge and deserves most of the calls that go against him. It's just a side-effect of the style of game he plays.

But the last few games, I've definitely seen some reputation calls. If he hits a guy hard lately, he gets a penalty. I understand his frustration. Still, he's got to stop slamming doors and swinging sticks after every call.

Comment

I haven't seen Selleck play recently so I can't comment on his current style of play but I know he is very aggressive on the check and tends to get his elbows up. I have noticed that in the States if you are bigger and more aggressive and the hit appears more violent then usual, the borderline calls will go against you. This also appears to happen when you tend to object to every call the officials make against you.

Regarding the call against KGT, from what I was hearing it appeared the game was getting out of control and the officials were not going to let any violation go with the purpose of sending a message. If you want to talk trash to another player in front of the officials then expect to get called for something. A game misconduct is a little much unless he said something to the officials. Maybe he was upset at his shutout bid being trashed. KGT is known as a very intense player which I think may be a detriment to a goalie. My thinking is the goalie should keep his emotions even throughout the game. He should not display any emotion on the ice and be as cold as possible. After the game then let loose.
            Last edited by mdmadison; 02-07-2010, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadison View Post
              KGT is known as a very intense player which I think may be a detriment to a goalie. My thinking is the goalie should keep his emotions even throughout the game. He should not display any emotion on the ice and be a cold as possible. After the game is then let loose.
              Did you ever meet Ben Binga?
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Oh Bingha, I remember him. He's got a mean right hook...he always reminded me a lot of Ray Emery, just not as good at keeping pucks out of the net.

Comment

So I've been "lurking" this page all year, finally got around to making an account, and I have noticed people seem to dance around the idea of just speculating about NCAA's. IMO theres no real shame/harm in it, (yes, i know theres a speculation thread) so being as we are 21-1, I think it's rather obvious that we're in. But, all seeding and devils advocacy aside, does anyone else agree with me that we have a National Champion caliber team again this year???

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuy_11 View Post
                    So I've been "lurking" this page all year, finally got around to making an account, and I have noticed people seem to dance around the idea of just speculating about NCAA's. IMO theres no real shame/harm in it, (yes, i know theres a speculation thread) so being as we are 21-1, I think it's rather obvious that we're in. But, all seeding and devils advocacy aside, does anyone else agree with me that we have a National Champion caliber team again this year???
                    without a doubt, but all it takes is 1 game or 1 bounce either way, so ya never know, thats why they play the games...welcome to the fray......

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuy_11 View Post
                      As much as Platty fans love to be jump all over the prospect of being SUNYAC champions and getting into the NCAA again, I think there's a lot more reservation on OSU's part. Draft is right - its one game at a time, with a roster absolutely loaded with youngsters that no one back in fall could have remotely predicted would go this far. As excited as we the fans are, when the NCAA opens up, I have my reservations on possible jitters with the new Lakers - they need to stay cool.

No question now - I thoroughly believe the Lakers will be in the NCAA's (one way or another, with all factors remaining constant), and they have the firepower and determination to set sail for Placid. The real question, to me, is willpower: can the wave of playoff emotions and uncertainty be kept in check until the trophy is brought onto the ice?
                      "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
                      this is for you."
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Screw rebuilding - we RELOAD here!

Comment

I have made 5 Lakers games thus far - the lone loss @ Elmira, the Pathfinder, Adrian and Plattsburgh. To keep this party going, we need to stay out of the penalty box and keep up the intensity in the corners...at times we have looked a bit too casual on the boards alongside/behind our own net for my taste, but I'm just a fan...
                        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Ranger View Post
                          As much as Platty fans love to be jump all over the prospect of being SUNYAC champions and getting into the NCAA again, I think there's a lot more reservation on OSU's part. Draft is right - its one game at a time, with a roster absolutely loaded with youngsters that no one back in fall could have remotely predicted would go this far. As excited as we the fans are, when the NCAA opens up, I have my reservations on possible jitters with the new Lakers - they need to stay cool.

No question now - I thoroughly believe the Lakers will be in the NCAA's (one way or another, with all factors remaining constant), and they have the firepower and determination to set sail for Placid. The real question, to me, is willpower: can the wave of playoff emotions and uncertainty be kept in check until the trophy is brought onto the ice?
                          I totally agree.. we just gotta stay outta the sin bin...keep everyone healthy (ssshhh don't jinx it) and keep all the emotion in check and we should...in my opinion...be hoisting another banner in the CC...but...again. everything is just speculation till we drop the puck, but ****, it looks good.

Comment

Agree with many points put up, gotta stay out of the box, and have more dicsipline in general.....also its a loooooong season, I remember during the 87 season by the Sunys I was tired and burnt a little, so dont get to excited when and if they rest a few guys come the next 3 games, as this is needed, season started in sept with dry land training and hasnt let up yet.......side note, we ran out of $$$ for sticks at the end of the 87 yr as well, werent expected to make it to the Big Dance...LOL.......

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Ranger View Post
                              The real question, to me, is willpower: can the wave of playoff emotions and uncertainty be kept in check until the trophy is brought onto the ice?
                              While nobody can know for sure and only time will tell if they do, however if any team has had more hands on training for such high pressure, I would love to hear about them. This laker team is riding a 20 game win streak, has been ranked #1 in the nation since early December, and was even favored to win against Plattsburgh, a team they hadn't beaten in years. If this young team didn't know what pressure was before the season started, they certainly do now.

Comment

Originally posted by WTOPAsstChief View Post
                                While nobody can know for sure and only time will tell if they do, however if any team has had more hands on training for such high pressure, I would love to hear about them. This laker team is riding a 20 game win streak, has been ranked #1 in the nation since early December, and was even favored to win against Plattsburgh, a team they hadn't beaten in years. If this young team didn't know what pressure was before the season started, they certainly do now.
                                I know we Plattsburgh fans certainly sound a bit repetitive, but it must be said again... Remember what happened to Plattsburgh last year. They were ranked #1 virtually all of last year, were favored in pretty much every game they played all year, and look what happened to them once it was tourny time...
                                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                                X