Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine @ UNH 10/24: Will Whitehead finally pop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine @ UNH 10/24: Will Whitehead finally pop?

Well, if this weekend didnt pop Whitehead, what will it take ??

Itz a painful process....making a change of this magnitude, but the cycles gotta play out before its over. Maine had an incredible run from the late 80's right on up into the early 2000's....time to flush the system and start anew. Question is, who will be the players for the resurgence of Maine Hockey? The passionate ones are still out there......the problem and challenge is getting the right folks in the right places to turn this around.

I have confidence that the best decisions will be made down the road. The key is to be sure that the right people are involved in the decision making, and I think some of the more knowledgeable and influential former alumni MUST be a part of this (cough,cough snowtortkaryiapellymontgomerycarneybeersperronetce tcetc cough,cough). I also am confident some of these people will feel the duty and obligation to assist, not matter what the inconvience, to make sure it gets done correctly. Small sacrifice for the greater good of their school.

I think its important to keep in mind that Whitehead was originally pretty much a "coach of convenience" at the time. He was available at the right time, at the very beginning of that season that Shawn passed away. Who knows what the exact circumstances were behind his hiring...it really doesnt matter anymore. Most importantly, his hiring was not the result of a comprehensive search as would be the case if say Shawn's head was on the chopping block and the admin was looking to replace him.......lol, if that were ever the case. I guess my opinion of what Whitehead inherited is just that....he inherited or walked into a great situation...and has over the years consequently fumbled the ball. er, missed da p(h)uck.
    Last edited by acs64; 10-25-2009, 04:46 PM.
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      As for the Black Bears, tough for this Wildcat fan to have much sympathy. Back in the 80's and 90's when Maine routinely rolled over us, I don't remember one tear being shed by folks in Orono over the depths to which the UNH program had fallen. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, I guess it's the same.
      No Maine fans cared about Unh back then, it was BU and BC and still is for us long time followers of the program
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        No Maine fans cared about Unh back then, it was BU and BC and still is for us long time followers of the program
        Aint that the truth. Something about sluggin UHN with their fly trap helmets by scores of 8-0 just wasnt stimulating.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          I suppose I'm not married in the eyes of the Catholic Church since I had a civil ceremony 35 + years ago. But since marriage is a civil contract before it is a religious one, in the eyes of Massachusetts and Federal tax collectors I am definitely married. When two consenting adults decide to commit to each other for the rest of their lives, one religious denomination or another should have no say in it. You do not have to get the blessing of the Catholic or any other church to get divorced, so why should they have a say when you get married. Look in the paper some day and see how many weddings do not take place in a house of worship. For those who want the trappings of a religious wedding, I'm all for them having the right. But those who dispense the trappings should have no right to dictate how people not of their faith decide to commit, whether it is a civil union or marriage.
          right on. This is total off topic, but since e.cat brought it up...
          Civil Unions do not have all the same legal rights as civil marriage. As far as the government is concerned marriage is a civil contract. Rather than changing every law that references marriage to also acknowledge a civil union it make sense to just let same sex couples get married. Why waste time creating a "separate but equal" CIVIL contract because some religious people are wound up about terminology. A particular church is perfectly within their right to only perform marriages that conform to their belief system. They do not need to try to force their view on everyone else, including non-believers or those who's religion may permit same-sex marriage. If they weren't hypocrites, these churches would also be trying to change all civil marriages to civil unions since a civil marriage also does not fit their definition of marriage (a religious institution).

Comment

Strange moment from last night's national anthem. For the first half or so of the anthem, Sirman had his head turned around in a dead stare at our group in the front of the UNH student section. We were completely dumbfounded as to why he was doing it. He had a mean look on his face so maybe he was trying to intimidate us from heckling him. Have any of you Maine fans noticed him doing anything like this during previous games? We were all totally creeped out by it.
            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
              I think its important to keep in mind that Whitehead was originally pretty much a "coach of convenience" at the time.
              it really ****ed me off when people used the "he was hand picked by Walsh" argument to try to shut up anyone that had anything bad to say about Timmay in the early years

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  right on. This is total off topic, but since e.cat brought it up...
                  Civil Unions do not have all the same legal rights as civil marriage. As far as the government is concerned marriage is a civil contract. Rather than changing every law that references marriage to also acknowledge a civil union it make sense to just let same sex couples get married. Why waste time creating a "separate but equal" CIVIL contract because some religious people are wound up about terminology. A particular church is perfectly within their right to only perform marriages that conform to their belief system. They do not need to try to force their view on everyone else, including non-believers or those who's religion may permit same-sex marriage. If they weren't hypocrites, these churches would also be trying to change all civil marriages to civil unions since a civil marriage also does not fit their definition of marriage (a religious institution).
                  My take is the government should say sorry, we went and used a religious term all these years and going forward all marriages are defined as civil unions in the eyes of the government. I don't expect them to rewrite all the laws just do a definition change and move on. Then the government would be out of all this foolishness.
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Aint that the truth. Something about sluggin UHN with their fly trap helmets by scores of 8-0 just wasnt stimulating.
                    Well, moving forward, you'll have big rivalries and close serieses with Merrimack, and Providence to look forward to, so enjoy it

Comment

• Re: Maine @ UNH 10/24: Will Whitehead finally pop?

I dont know Gib....judging by the way these two (Mack and PC) are playing right now, that rivalry might be with NU and UHN

But, ur right overall....at least until we get rid of that jughead behind the bench who provides zero leadership to this team.
                      Last edited by acs64; 10-26-2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I dont know Gib....judging by the way these two (Mack and PC) are playing right now, that rivalry might be with NU and UHN

But, ur right overall....at least until we get rid of that jughead behind the bench who provides zero leadership to this team.
                        I might be in the minorty on my side of the border, but I'd MUCH prefer maine to be a contender. Honestly, as decent as the atmosphere was on Saturday, it's just not the same. I'd rather see that game later in the season, even in December...BUT alas...

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                          I might be in the minorty on my side of the border, but I'd MUCH prefer maine to be a contender. Honestly, as decent as the atmosphere was on Saturday, it's just not the same. I'd rather see that game later in the season, even in December...BUT alas...
                          Yeah, it wuz an early confrontation.....fortunate for us it was an early game, otherwise Timbo would have had the goalies and defense in complete disarray later in the season and the scores this weekend would have 8-2 or whatever.....(shakin my head)

Comment

curious how long Maine will continue to offer D1 sports at all; the university is faced with losing 30-40 percent of its faculty in order to reduce its budget by 40 million + over the next four years.

It is inconceivable to me that the school would cut a third of its faculty without looking at other expensive operations. If the hockey team is no longer revenue producing (and its revenue numbers have been declining) and other sports are expensive without producing revenue at all, why would the school continue to support d1 sports?

I have the report detailing the needed cuts and it is frightening-- does someone else have the athletic dept costs and revenue?

Whitehead may be the last D1 hockey coach at Maine for the foreseeable (10 year plus) future . . . that would be fitting if only to demonstrate the meaning of the word "irony."

Comment

Originally posted by maineblackbear View Post
                              curious how long Maine will continue to offer D1 sports at all; the university is faced with losing 30-40 percent of its faculty in order to reduce its budget by 40 million + over the next four years.

It is inconceivable to me that the school would cut a third of its faculty without looking at other expensive operations. If the hockey team is no longer revenue producing (and its revenue numbers have been declining) and other sports are expensive without producing revenue at all, why would the school continue to support d1 sports?

I have the report detailing the needed cuts and it is frightening-- does someone else have the athletic dept costs and revenue?

Whitehead may be the last D1 hockey coach at Maine for the foreseeable (10 year plus) future . . . that would be fitting if only to demonstrate the meaning of the word "irony."
                              This is what I have been saying, if the hockey team is not a national title contender, there is no reason to offer D-I sports at UMaine.

Why else are we doing it? To see the occasional 7-5 football season with a road playoff game? For losing men's and women's basketball? Maine would be DOMINANT in D-II, and could use primarily instate athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                                This is what I have been saying, if the hockey team is not a national title contender, there is no reason to offer D-I sports at UMaine.

Why else are we doing it? To see the occasional 7-5 football season with a road playoff game? For losing men's and women's basketball? Maine would be DOMINANT in D-II, and could use primarily instate athletes.
                                The question is can Maine drop down to D-II in everything but Hockey. There is no D-II hockey so would they be allowed to play up like so many other hockey schools. I know the rules for all this have changed in the last 5 year but I am not up on the ins and outs of it.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X