Schools That Used to Have D-I Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools That Used to Have D-I Hockey

I'm fairly new to following college hockey, so I've been reading a lot about it and have been intrigued by the small number of schools playing it, allegations of new schools adding it, and the schools that have had to drop it.

Firstly, I wanted to find out how big the sport used to be, so I tried to find schools that used to have the sport, of which I found 9 (last season, conference):

Wayne State 07-08 CHA
    Findlay 03-04 CHA
    Fairfield 02-03 AH
    Iona 02-03 AH
    U Illinois-Chicago 95-96 CCHA
    Kent State 93-94 ?
    St. Louis University 78-79 CCHA
    U Penn 77-78 - ECAC
    Ohio U sometime in the '70s ?

All of the articles I read stated that budgetary concerns were the reason for canceling the programs. Once you've built a campus rink, is hockey really any more expensive than other sports? Or did they actuallu mean plunging ticket sales? Are there any schools that have added D-I hockey lately?

Two other things I find somewhat interesting are that 1) there were never any NYC teams. Why not Fordham? Or Columbia, the only Ivy school never to play hockey. 2) There is no hockey culture in the pacific northwest.

If you know any other schools that used to have teams, or schools that have added them within the past decade or so, let me know here. Other discussion about the sport in general is welcome as well.
    MAKE HOBEY PROUD!

"If there really is a hoop heaven, the house band would be Princeton's, troubadours in straw hats who played the theme from "Underdog" late in the Tigers' victory."
    - Sports Illustrated 3/25/96
    "We have 7 national championships. Who's ever heard of you guys?"
    -Drunk NoDak Fan at 2008 Midwest Regional

Re: Schools That Used to Have D-I Hockey

As far as the PAC-West, look at the region. If you take notice, the majority of college hockey fans (and pro hockey fans, for the most part) reside in the MN (and surrounding area) and New England/Northeast. It's a very regional sport, and the PNW doesn't cut it, yet. Honestly, I don't know if they ever will.

As for expansion/sustainability, Title IX is a big part and the fact that many schools dedicate their dollars to one or two sports also is a factor. For example:

Iowa is dedicated to basketball and football. Hockey doesn't really register, despite any rumor you may hear. This also goes for Penn St, Northwestern, etc.

The jump to DI from DIII (there is no DII anymore for hockey) also hinders growth, given the commitment regulations. On the flipside, smaller DI programs also have had a hard time finding a conference (see: the demise of the CHA, and the failure of U of Alabama-Huntsville finding a conference).

Other than that, welcome to the board, and I hope you're ready for fun and serious hockey talk. Since you're new, you'll get more of the former than the latter until you establish yourself. Just a warning.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

There's definitely more. Give this a read:
      http://www.augenblick.org/chha/gwc_his.html (Great West Hockey Conference)

and also this:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Di...%27s_hockey%29 (defunct independents)
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Other than that, welcome to the board, and I hope you're ready for fun and serious hockey talk. Since you're new, you'll get more of the former than the latter until you establish yourself. Just a warning.
        Who actually talks about playing hockey here? All it is are threads on firing coaches, yelling at refs, why UAH should've been accepted to the CCHA, why poles are irrelevant, Jon sobbing over the Friars (usually), and who Freddy Meyer hacked today.
        time to write new history

Comment

don't forget Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
            There's definitely more. Give this a read:
            http://www.augenblick.org/chha/gwc_his.html (Great West Hockey Conference)
            This list http://www.augenblick.org/chha/info_chn.html on the same site also includes some name changes and non-DI schools, but does include additional schools that used to have hockey teams.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This is from collegehockeynews.com

* Boston State (1961-1982)
              * Carnegie Tech (1905-1921)
              * Fairfield (1974-2003)
              * Findlay (1996-2004)
              * Illinois (1937-1943)
              * Illinois-Chicago (1966-1996)
              * Iona (1967-2003)
              * Johns Hopkins (1895-1898)
              * Kent (1986-1994)
              * MIT (1906-1975)
              * Mass Coll Lib Arts (1947-2003)
              * Northern Arizona (1980-1986)
              * Ohio University (1970-1973)
              * Pennsylvania (1898-1978)
              * Scranton (1947-2005)
              * St. Louis (1971-1979)
              * Syracuse (1911-1940)
              * U.S. International (1979-1988)
              * Villanova (1929-1998)
              * Wayne State (1999-2008)

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                don't forget Maine.
                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by PUBand09 View Post
                  Are there any schools that have added D-I hockey lately?
                  RIT is the most recent addition in 2005. RIT is a DIII school with a strong hockey tradition and no football team. Hockey is THE sport at RIT. RIT is also large for a DIII school (about 15K undergrads), so I'm sure that helps a bit with some of the financial issues.
                  -M

Comment

I often wondered why Columbia never had a team. These days, there's virtually no chance that they would add a program. Their club team has to travel to Hackensack to play home games (which is actually further than a couple of their road games). Trying to find a place to build a rink sufficient for D-1 hockey in NYC is a futile effort.

One would wonder if NYC could support one college hockey team. They sell out the Rangers virtually every night and they support several D-1 basketball teams in the city. While hockey doesn't get a ton of attention around here, those who do follow the teams are into the game more than most.

The last metro-NYC team to play D-1 hockey was Iona and their effort largely failed. Their facility was in a mall/amusement park, the team was horrible, and honestly, nobody outside of Westchester County even knows where Iona is. I guess Yale could be considered metro-NYC barely and they draw well.

Honestly though, I would list Syracuse, Buffalo, Buff State, Albany, Siena, Stony Brook and Marist as potential hockey schools before any in the metro area (and none of those are happening any time soon). I'm always hoping for a Marist program; they have an arena available that could support D-1 hockey (at least as an AHA program), they have a good sports following, and hockey is growing in the Hudson Valley.
                    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Columbia did have a team a loooooooong time ago.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        don't forget Maine.
                        Go figure, I thought someone would say Minnesota first.

Orono is on my list of places to see a hockey game before I die.

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Was that before the NCAA Ralph? I didn't know they had a program.

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            I just looked it up in Princeton's hockey media guide. Princeton and Columbia played @Princeton and "@Columbia" (unclear what rink) on-and-off between 1900 (Princeton's first recorded year) and the 1922-23 season, when Columbia presumably canceled their program. This was before the NCAA, and Princeton played a lot of teams that are now D-III, like MIT (who sadly just dropped hockey this year).
                            MAKE HOBEY PROUD!

"If there really is a hoop heaven, the house band would be Princeton's, troubadours in straw hats who played the theme from "Underdog" late in the Tigers' victory."
                            - Sports Illustrated 3/25/96
                            "We have 7 national championships. Who's ever heard of you guys?"
                            -Drunk NoDak Fan at 2008 Midwest Regional

Comment

www.marist.goalline.ca

Marist club hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X